What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A sign Wests will buy the Knights?

perverse

Referee
The statement that sort of boggles me the most in it is this one:

“Realistically if anyone is going to pay over $10 million for the [Knights] club, then that won’t be Wests. That’s my personal opinion.’’

So you've got a guy who has been on the board the past 2 years saying the club he's leaving isn't worth what the NRL are asking... and potentially positioning himself to negotiate?

At the end of the day, Wests just makes sense. To be honest, I don't give a stuff what value the NRL sells us for, I've seen no evidence that the club will see a penny of it. It seems a bit rich to make the club pay back all its debt before it's sold, and then pocket the money from the sale on top. We're just the cow that keeps on giving.

Knight76

Juniors
It's all politics. It serves Wests interests to talk down the Knights value to any perspective buyers. If Wests are looking to buy.

I think Wests are VERY interested in buying the Knights. They have said in the past that they will not let the Knights fold, and will ensure the Knights stay in the comp and are competitive.

If the NRL are fair dinkum in what they say, about picking the best owner, and not necessarily making the most money from the sale, what better owners than a local business? We already rely on Wests for admin and training etc.

It makes sense.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
Aside from keeping top level RL in Newcastle and the $ from the punters at their club on game day, what exactly do Wests gain from buying the Knights?

The NRL has all but said they won't let the Knights fail regardless so it's not out of fear that the team won't exist anymore

Glendale

Juniors
Wests have said if the Knights are sold for over 10 million, they won't be the buyers. They're going to make an offer but it'll be a low one.

Knight76

Juniors
Not exactly, at least from the article I posted, he added an "I should think" to the end of that.

This is a dance at this point. Wests are obviously going to talk down the value of the club if they are intending to buy, likewise, they are going to let the NRL know they don't believe the 10mil value is accurate and they won't be paying that amount.

Considering the NRL has said they want the right buyer, not the most money. It makes sense for Wests to start buttering them up in this regard.

It's all smoke and mirrors and we probably won't know who is the preferred buyer until the NRL announces it.

I think the NRL are just throwing out numbers. They would probably be better off giving the Knights away for free if the right owner came along compared with getting $10m from someone who is going to do a rubbish job and having to take the club back over again in 5 or 10 years.

Does anyone know much about the business people that were trying to put together a proposal to rival the Tinkler takeover?

Are they still around?

Burwood

Bench
The patron's trust? Andrew Poole seemed to be the head honcho, and last I heard of him was last year when he was being investigated by ICAC for corruption.

If they are still around, I'd much rather they put their money into TPAs and help bring quality players to the club. I'm not sure how successful we'd be if they pumped $6million into the club over 4 years like was planned for last time they showed interest. They probably wouldn't even be able to afford the license, let alone help the club prosper after forking out that much money.

slotmachine

First Grade
Wests would inject some much needed professionalism but little cash I would think.

We're losing a million a year and going backwards. Whoever ends up buying us would want to have deep pockets unless they enjoy running bottom 4 in perpetuity.

I've got fingers crossed for eccentric Chinese billionaire personally.

Knight76

Juniors
Why would a Chinese billionaire want to buy the Knights? They don't play rugby league in china that I am aware of.

Are we to be some Chinese billionaires plaything to be cast aside when they tire of us? I'd much rather us go to a Australian based company that has an actual interest in rugby league. Failing that an international that again, actually has an interest in Rugby League.

Of course, this Eccentric Chinese billionaire may love Rugby League and do great things, but it's a bigger risk.

Hopefully the NRL will honor their commitment to place us with the best buyer for the club.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
Have heard the millionaire that owns Newpave is keen to buy us. Not sure if he could afford or would pay 10m that the NRL wants, though.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
For the club to be more than a money pit for any potential owner it needs to appeal to punters not just in but also outside of the Hunter. Merch sales, memberships, sponsors, etc are a big part of financing an NRL club

Currently the club does next to nothing in this regard compared to other NRL clubs. Their "Qld membership" is a joke for example considering it doesn't even include any game entry

I'd be happy if the club was given for free to the right owner. Although the yearly audits and the Tinkler type bank guarantee if it goes pear shaped should be part of the deal.

Latest posts