What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Successful Club

Fatwing15

Juniors
What do you think is most important in developing or maintaining the success of a rugby league club in the US?

What is the driving force behind a successful club?

It seams like Jax has done a good job of setting the standard for all around success, RI and Philly both seem to be right there as well. The Warriors and The Knights have had much on field success, but do you put them in the same boat as the teams above?

What do clubs such as The Bulls, Titans, Sharks, 13's and Raiders have to do to make that leap? What is holding them back?

Kurt Angle

First Grade
JAX are successful because they have marketed themselves as something that other entities are willing to be stakeholders in.

Fans have to INVEST time to watch, sponsors have to INVEST money as they feel there is benefit in being associated with them.

This aids development, developing players, developing a brand.

Better players provides a better spectacle, a better brand rewards sponsors by association and rewards fans in being 'part' of the team.

This is a feedback loop.

Choo Choo

Juniors
What we've discovered in DC is that better organization is key. Granted we still have a way to go, but by solidifying our board of directors and identifying roles for each position, things get done.

mother rucker

Juniors
What do you think is most important in developing or maintaining the success of a rugby league club in the US?

It seams like Jax has done a good job of setting the standard for all around success, RI and Philly both seem to be right there as well. The Warriors and The Knights have had much on field success, but do you put them in the same boat as the teams above?

What do clubs such as The Bulls, Titans, Sharks, 13's and Raiders have to do to make that leap? What is holding them back?

How on earth can you say that the Aston Bulls are not successful? Their squad consists of all Tomahawks.. I don't understand? I cant imagin another team in the world that has that many national players. It there one?

By the way this is a sarcastic post.

But really how are they a less succesful team with that many national players on their squad?

Rampart66

Juniors
This is a great topic, but before I add my opinion to the discussion I want to know what criteria are you using to define success?

Win/Loss Records? Attendence? Organization Size? Visibility?

Obviously we can measure Jacksonville by unprecidented attendance numbers and their win/loss record. But I don't think that Rhode Island would be a "success" by those same criteria.

Evil Homer

Staff member

I think the biggest thing about Jacksonville (and RI and Philly to an extent) is that, regardless of the actual pay status, they are run like professional clubs. They seem to make an active effort to reach out into the community to attract fans, sponsors and generally to engage and become part of the fabric of the city/area that they represent. I'm not saying the other clubs don't do this, but this attitude seems more prevalent with the ones you have mentioned as being 'successful', from a purely external point of view.

Fatwing15

Juniors
This is a great topic, but before I add my opinion to the discussion I want to know what criteria are you using to define success?

Win/Loss Records? Attendence? Organization Size? Visibility?

Obviously we can measure Jacksonville by unprecidented attendance numbers and their win/loss record. But I don't think that Rhode Island would be a "success" by those same criteria.

I think wins, attendance, visibility, sponsors, having a proper website and social media presence all go into a successful club.

I think that RI is looking more promising after 1 year than many of the other clubs that have been around for a while. With that kind of exposure, the right athletes will come and that will bring more wins. Was their attendance numbers similar to the Fights this year?

Success is hard to define, but it seems some clubs have achieved a different level of success.

I'd like to see people compare the Fight and the Knights in terms of success on and off the field.

langpark

First Grade
For me, one of the most important factors in defining success is playing number, especially juniors. This is the foundation and directly enhances other things like attendances etc...

deluded pom?

Coach
But really how are they a less succesful team with that many national players on their squad?

The Bulls is just a team not a club. They appear to do nothing outside of playing their AMNRL matches. Their website is stuck in a time warp. They don't seem to do any promotional work to get people through the gate. I can't understand why this is.

druzik

Juniors
I would think that a successful club is one that achieves what ever goals they have set out for themselves in a time period.

druzik

Juniors
The Bulls is just a team not a club. They appear to do nothing outside of playing their AMNRL matches. Their website is stuck in a time warp. They don't seem to do any promotional work to get people through the gate. I can't understand why this is.

Well I'll be able to get out to several of their home games this year, so I should be able to tell what their status is I suppose.

Rampart66

Juniors
Currently, Pittsburgh is planning for admission in to the USARL as a full member in 2013. We could probably throw a team out there for 2012, but we don't want to half-ass it. First impressions will go a long way in helping to build a fan base and get community and player involvement.

Sure, we want to field a competitive team that can match up with the likes of Philly, Jacksonville, New Haven and DC. But it's also important that we find the right venue. We want a home field that has 2500 or more seating and the ability to charge admission (this can be a huge revenue source). But, if we're going to charge admission, we have to look the part. We will be representing the city of Pittsburgh and we have to be aware of that fact. That means having a well constructed and informative website, a facebook & twitter presence, activities in the community, charity work and youth programs established.

Although we will technically be considered an "amateur" team, we have to look professional. We have to look at the other "minor" sports in the area like soccer, minor league baseball and arena football. These teams aren't part of the big 4 sports leagues (NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL), but they are pofessional and serve as a guide to compare ourselves to by seeing how they operate their respective teams.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Currently, Pittsburgh is planning for admission in to the USARL as a full member in 2013. We could probably throw a team out there for 2012, but we don't want to half-ass it. First impressions will go a long way in helping to build a fan base and get community and player involvement.

Sure, we want to field a competitive team that can match up with the likes of Philly, Jacksonville, New Haven and DC. But it's also important that we find the right venue. We want a home field that has 2500 or more seating and the ability to charge admission (this can be a huge revenue source). But, if we're going to charge admission, we have to look the part. We will be representing the city of Pittsburgh and we have to be aware of that fact. That means having a well constructed and informative website, a facebook & twitter presence, activities in the community, charity work and youth programs established.

Although we will technically be considered an "amateur" team, we have to look professional. We have to look at the other "minor" sports in the area like soccer, minor league baseball and arena football. These teams aren't part of the big 4 sports leagues (NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL), but they are pofessional and serve as a guide to compare ourselves to by seeing how they operate their respective teams.
That sounds like the attitude adopted by Jacksonville and RI that I alluded to earlier in the thread. This is the way forward.

Lone Ranger

Juniors
Probably the most intelligent post since all the bickering between both leagues began. My vote which is determined not by results but measured by the awareness and following both domestic and international are as follows. This also trickles down to sponsors, operations and how the team looks on the field.

1) Jacksonville Axemen
2) Philadelphia Fight
3) NY Knights
4) Rhode Island Rebellion
5) DC Slayers
6) Connecticut Wildcats
7) New Haven Warriors
8) Aston Bulls
9) Bucks County Sharks
10) Everybody Else

Fatwing15

Juniors
Probably the most intelligent post since all the bickering between both leagues began. My vote which is determined not by results but measured by the awareness and following both domestic and international are as follows. This also trickles down to sponsors, operations and how the team looks on the field.

1) Jacksonville Axemen
2) Philadelphia Fight
3) NY Knights
4) Rhode Island Rebellion
5) DC Slayers
6) Connecticut Wildcats
7) New Haven Warriors
8) Aston Bulls
9) Bucks County Sharks
10) Everybody Else

I would switch 9 and 8, but thats a pretty good list.

Heritage XIII

Juniors
I noticed on USARL website, Baltimore Blues have been added but Titans/Turnpikes have disappeared.

Anyone know anything about this? Seems USARL have been slow in keeping fans informed with any news. One item in two months!

One thing to make promises another to actually do something about it.

druzik

Juniors
I noticed on USARL website, Baltimore Blues have been added but Titans/Turnpikes have disappeared.

Anyone know anything about this? Seems USARL have been slow in keeping fans informed with any news. One item in two months!

One thing to make promises another to actually do something about it.

Have heard that the Titans could not meet the standards of the USARL this year an thus can't participate.

Its true that news has been very slow from them. Hopefully some new news will come out soon.

Fatwing15

Juniors
Have heard that the Titans could not meet the standards of the USARL this year an thus can't participate.

Its true that news has been very slow from them. Hopefully some new news will come out soon.

Druzik, I would like to know of your opinion on the level of success most of these teams have achieved, being that you see them first hand, but have little direct interaction.

So how do you gauge the success of a club? Also who do you view as the most successful clubs, aside from the Axemen and Fight?

It is an interesting concept to me. I like comparing the mid-tier clubs. The Bulls, Raiders, Slayers, Sharks, Boston, Oniada.

Skeletor

Juniors

Quick question about the Pittsburgh thing, since you're planning on "representing the city of Pittsburgh" is it safe to assume you will be going with white, black and yellow as your colours? Since they are the colours that, in my mind, represent the city.

Latest posts