What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AB Medal

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Some of you seem to forget that the AB medal is judged over the last 12 months, not the last summer.

Elliot has about as much chance of being recalled as Blewitt.

Macca

Coach
Elliot is washed up as a test cricketer, that's for sure. Slater was diagnosed with Arthritis, there is a bit of a difference. BTW, Slater's record speaks for itself, unfortunatley he was dropped for that Bill Lawry clone, who did very little at International level. I noticed he got SFA this morning for thi Vic's too. :lol:

SirShire

First Grade
And a few days ago he got 154*. :roll: :roll:

When was the last time Slats got amongst the runs?

Macca

Coach
Go back to Victoria then, I am sure they all want to have an argument about whether or not Elliot should get a recall. :roll: Talk about living in the past.

SirShire

First Grade
Is that your only argument against Elliott? Can YOU admit that he is in good form and that Slats career is well beyond rescue? I mean, he got dropped from NSW!

Macca

Coach
My argument is simple. Elliot is finished, so is Slater. Next question. No, don't ask any more.

Doctor

Bench
Salmon said:

This is not a pro-Elliott or pro-Slater comment but:

Slater is currently recovering from a severe condition affecting his body - it renders him unable to walk on occassions, let alone train or play. I think it would be unfair to require him to be in the runs at the moment, especially given he isn't playing.

SirShire

First Grade
Oswin said:
Salmon said:

Slater is currently recovering from a severe condition affecting his body - it renders him unable to walk on occassions, let alone train or play. I think it would be unfair to require him to be in the runs at the moment, especially given he isn't playing.

I havent read up on the arthritis, but wasnt he dropped from NSW before the condition became public? How long has he had it for?

aqua_duck

Coach
In 5 years time who'll be remembered more, Slater of Elliot?

Slater was a cavelier in his day, his attacking style made him very popular and attractive to watch, most international fans would recognise his namebecause he made an impression, I notice that Michael Clarke use to idolise SLats when he was a teenager, as for Matthew Elliot, well his tenure in test cricket was unsucessful, he also played a boring brand of cricket hence why Slater will go down in history above him.

SirShire

First Grade
aqua_duck said:

Slater was a cavelier in his day, his attacking style made him very popular and attractive to watch, most international fans would recognise his namebecause he made an impression, I notice that Michael Clarke use to idolise SLats when he was a teenager, as for Matthew Elliot, well his tenure in test cricket was unsucessful, he also played a boring brand of cricket hence why Slater will go down in history above him.

Slats DID play more tests than Elliott, but I guess that is for a reason, and he did have another chance.

As for Herb, well I'll remember him becuase I idolise his batting technique and thats how I've always tried to play. I'll never ever forget the 1997 Ashes series (he was without doubt the best player on tour IMHO), and I'll remember him from all the big scores he has gotten for Vic in the Shield games.

As much as I respect Slats, I never quite took to him.

aqua_duck

Coach
Each to his own I guess, Slats was a different type of cricketer to Elliot, Elliot was a much more technical batsman whilst Slats was abit of an Adam Gilchrist.
I think one person described Slats as a cricketer who was enigmatic yet effective, and I agree with that description.

Macca

Coach
Salmon said:
aqua_duck said:

Slats DID play more tests than Elliott, but I guess that is for a reason, and he did have another chance.

As for Herb, well I'll remember him becuase I idolise his batting technique and thats how I've always tried to play. I'll never ever forget the 1997 Ashes series (he was without doubt the best player on tour IMHO), and I'll remember him from all the big scores he has gotten for Vic in the Shield games.

As much as I respect Slats, I never quite took to him.

I think you are in love with him. :lol:

SirShire

First Grade
Like you and Binga?

I just think he is an unreal batsmen and I hope he can play for Australia again.

Doctor

Bench
Salmon said:
Oswin said:
Salmon said:

I havent read up on the arthritis, but wasnt he dropped from NSW before the condition became public? How long has he had it for?

He may well have had the condition for a while, having learnt to manage it effectively.

It is my assessment that Slater would have held his position in the side for the start of this season - the injury (or condition) prevented this so he hasn't been dropped. NSW seemed content to play Slater at number 6 in the ING Cup last season, and his Pura Cup place was maintained with a couple of decent scores towards the end of the season.

He had his spot, in both forms, but the arthritic condition prevented him taking his spot.

As for Slater's historical significance. One could argue he was a batsman ahead of his time. It has been since Slater's international demise that Australia has become the most attacking batting side in world cricket. I used to enjoy watching Slater bat because he scored quickly and hit boundaries throughout his innings. Surrounded by the slowness of Taylor, the indifferent form of Mark Waugh and David Boon's hardness under attack - Slater emerged as a dashing and exciting player to watch.

These days the top three are all like Slater's 90s style - aggressive to the point of bordering on sacrifice of their wicket. It is an effective brand of cricket that Slater seemed to enjoy and find success in - it is only now that we can appreciate the value that this kind of batting brings to the team's overall performance, a session and indeed a whole series.

Elliott has been yet another talented batsmen who has made a mountain of runs at first class level but has struggled to convert it to international success - perhaps the Hayden-factor will the the case for him down the track.... who knows?

wittyz chick

Coach
will Slats ever play 4 NSW again? or has his arthritic condition stopped him from playing cricket ever again?

Latest posts