What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adam MacDougall says Brian Smith not to blame for Knights' poor effort

Pumba

First Grade
Adam MacDougall says Brian Smith not to blame for Knights' poor effort

ELDER statesman Adam MacDougall has absolved departing coach Brian Smith of any blame for Newcastle's 30-18 surrender to the Sydney Roosters at EnergyAustralia Stadium on Saturday night, suggesting all criticism should be directed at the players.

The Knights have been well beaten in successive games since news broke that Smith will walk away from the final year of his contract to sign a four-year deal with the Roosters.

That was the main topic of conversation after the match and will again be an issue Smith, the team and club management will have to deal with this week in the build-up to their game against the surging Eels at Parramatta Stadium on Sunday.

MacDougall had support from skipper Kurt Gidley and teammates including Jarrod Mullen and Richie Fa'aoso, who said it was up to the players to arrest the slide before their finals hopes slipped away.

"It was always going to be a dangerous game, with them playing in front of their coach for next year, so blokes are probably playing for contracts," MacDougall said.

"A bit of stuff's been in the press about Brian going there next year so they were always going to be pumped up. But at the end of the day, the coach can only get you to the white line before the game starts then it all comes down to us.

"People are going to say all that was a factor but at the end of the day, motivation of an athlete comes internally. We have to find the reasons why we're playing this game ourselves, and go out there with a little bit more energy and aggression and desire.

"People are jumping up and down and asking why we're losing games at the moment, but it comes down to the simple fact that we've been out-enthused.

"He shouldn't cop it . . . he's not out there making tackles or doing anything.

"There's no way that he should come in for any criticism or take any of the blame for that sort of performance. It comes down to us individually and we were just out-enthused and outmuscled by a hungrier side."

Gidley said Smith's decision, and who the Knights appoint as a replacement, had no impact on his performance but he could understand the public interest.

"The last thing I'm thinking when I'm out there playing is what Smithy's doing next year or who's coaching here," Gidley said.

"I'm out there to play footy; I'm out there to do my job. Fair enough, I'm disappointed in my game, but that's the last thing on my mind."

An equally exasperated Mullen said: "Mate, we're over it. It's well and truly sunk in now that he's going.

"It's not affecting our training at all, and I don't think it's affecting our performances. It's just the players' attitude and we have to pick that up."

Smith said it was impossible to tell how much the issue affected players on either side.

"I have no idea but I don't think it really matters. All that matters is how you play on the night, or on the day; they did and we didn't," Smith said.

Prop Fa'aoso offered no excuses.

"I can't put my finger on what went wrong but we need to turn this sh*t around because it's not good. We've got to do something," Fa'aoso said.

Brad Fittler, the man Smith will succeed at the Roosters, said the win was "a little bit sweeter" under the circumstances.

"We didn't really use it [as motivation]. But obviously, maybe in the back of their minds, I don't know, you'll have to ask them [the players]," Fittler said.

"But we were more focused on getting a bit of team morale, a bit of fight . . . Once you get that sniff, hopefully it turns into a few more games with that sort of intensity and spirit."

Roosters skipper Craig Fitzgibbon, who scored the first of his team's five tries and converted all of them in his return from a broken cheekbone, said the players felt partially responsible for Fittler's demise.

"If the club feels the need to change the coach, that's because you're not playing well as a team that's because something's going wrong so everyone's responsible for that," said Fitzgibbon, who will leave the Roosters at the end of the season to join English Super League club Hull.

"There's quite a few of us moving on now, that have been there for a long time, so it definitely affects you.

"We feel we deserve better for how hard we've been working at training and I think Freddy will back me up there.

"It's just turning up, doing our job at training, training hard, being positive through I suppose you can't say anything other than it was a sh*tstorm really for a while there but we've been nothing but positive, and we kind of deserve better for how close we're getting in games."

Herald

Apey

Staff member
"A bit of stuff's been in the press about Brian going there next year so they were always going to be pumped up. But at the end of the day, the coach can only get you to the white line before the game starts then it all comes down to us.

"I can't put my finger on what went wrong but we need to turn this sh*t around because it's not good. We've got to do something," Fa'aoso said.

I like these quotes, but really, that's all they are. Let's hope they walk the walk rather than just talk the talk next week against the Eels.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
So, they're trying to say their poor performances are just a coincidence?

Karmawave

Bench

They can try all they like to blame something else, but its a bunch of bullsh*t.

Fish and chip paper quotes.

First sign last week was blokes like Zeb Taia deciding to kick from dummy half.

This week its Danny Wicks running with the ball in one hand and throwing a flick pass like he is Sonny Bill.

Little things like that show the real truth about the coaching situation affecting their individual thinking.

Some of these guys no longer feel a reason to do the things that the coach has been preaching all year.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
They can try all they like to blame something else, but its a bunch of bullsh*t.

Fish and chip paper quotes.

This week its Danny Wicks running with the ball in one hand and throwing a flick pass like he is Sonny Bill.

Little things like that show the real truth about the coaching situation affecting their individual thinking.

Some of these guys no longer feel a reason to do the things that the coach has been preaching all year.
Don't get me wrong, I don't believe a single word of it myself, I just find it a little amusing that they're saying the coaching issue hasn't affected them when it's quite obvious it has ...

Karmawave

Bench
Well they can't really turn around and say ' the coaching drama affected us ' while Brian Smith is still around either.

Misanthrope

Staff member

Or, y'know, it happens to about half a dozen teams every year and has since the game started being played. It's rare that a player, club, or coach can properly explain why a slump started. Why should this be any different?

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Karmawave said:
Well they can't really turn around and say ' the coaching drama affected us ' while Brian Smith is still around either.
Yeah true, however they could be more professional about it and stop being little school kids and get on with the job ...

And yes Bushy, it could be a slump, but to be frank, I think it's a little more than that. But that's just me.

Misanthrope

Staff member
And yes Bushy, it could be a slump, but to be frank, I think it's a little more than that. But that's just me.

Oh, I've come out and said that the manner of Smith's departure can't have been good for the side. Coaches leave, and it shouldn't effect a club's performances, but given the nature of Smith's arrival and the club's resurrection - I'm ot at all surprised that the underhanded way in which he's leaving the club has affected morale.

cram

Bench
Oh, I've come out and said that the manner of Smith's departure can't have been good for the side. Coaches leave, and it shouldn't effect a club's performances, but given the nature of Smith's arrival and the club's resurrection - I'm ot at all surprised that the underhanded way in which he's leaving the club has affected morale.

My opinion is similar to this. Let's remember that Smith could have triggered a contract extension with a top 4 finish this year or next year.

To some his sudden departure may have been a little bit of slap in the face. "Thanks for a great time boys but I don't think you can make the top 4 so I am out of here!"

Who knows, we will never know....it's now time to move on and lament the fact that during our glory days we only managed one premiership and to wonder whether we will every see those days again.

Just to make myself better I am telling myself it could be worse, I could be a sharks supporter and have never had the privilege of watching my team win a GF....:D

Misanthrope

Staff member
I don't doubt that the club management is equally at fault here. Telling a coach that he basically needs to finish in the top four or find a new job isn't the best way to make him perform - especially when that kind of thing is never entirely in a coach's control.

Smith did the right thing for his job security, and I can't fault him for that. The fault lies with the club for not tying him down; Smith for not informing the players of his departure himself; and the Roosters for not having the decency to let Smith at least inform his current players first.

Burwood

Bench
We've lost 5 of our last 7. This poor form started long before Smith made his announcement.

Burwood

Bench
Agreed. Happy to agree that it must have made things even worse though..

Agreed :D

No doubt the Smith situation hasn't helped the cause, but I think this slump has been a long time coming. It sounds like the boys have been listening to all of the smoke Gould and co. have been blowing up their arse and forgotten the hard work that got them there in the first place.

I can't see any reason why the team can't get their season back on course with Smith at the helm.

CJG 182

Juniors
Karmawave said:

I saw David Williams kick from within his own 10 tonight.

I saw Matt Orford throw a pathetic one handed pass.

It seems Manly are taking the Brian Smith departure hard too..

I agree with you that the Smith decision has affected our season but those are hardly reflective of it.

Karmawave

Bench
I saw David Williams kick from within his own 10 tonight.

I saw Matt Orford throw a pathetic one handed pass.

It seems Manly are taking the Brian Smith departure hard too..

I agree with you that the Smith decision has affected our season but those are hardly reflective of it.

1. David Williams has been making mind blowing mistakes for weeks.

2. Matt Orford has made a career out of throwing pathetic passes.

3. I've never seen Taia or Wicks do something out of the box like they've been doing lately UNTIL Smith announced he was leaving.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
1. David Williams has been making mind blowing mistakes for weeks.

2. Matt Orford has made a career out of throwing pathetic passes.

3. I've never seen Taia or Wicks do something out of the box like they've been doing lately UNTIL Smith announced he was leaving.

Danny wicks also sprinted over 50 meters to try and stop the roosters support player from scoring on the weekend. I guess Smiths leaving affects some aspects of his game and not others aye.

Karmawave

Bench
Danny wicks also sprinted over 50 meters to try and stop the roosters support player from scoring on the weekend. I guess Smiths leaving affects some aspects of his game and not others aye.

You expect blokes to put in for themselves, if not each other with basic commitment.

You don't expect them waving the ball around in one hand and throwing one handed flick passes they would have never considered throwing before.

You can pretty it all you like. Players are starting to do those kinds of things now because of the coaching situation and they no longer feel the discipline that was applied before is as effective now seeing as though their coach won't be here much longer.

CJG 182

Juniors
I've seen Danny Wicks run with the ball one handed and screw up before. Either he knew this coaching situation was coming months in advance, in which case we should also hire him for predictions on injuries to help our cause, or he's a bit reckless sometimes.

Taia kicking the ball while odd, given all the circumstances wasn't as crazy as you like to make it out.
We had no Mullen or Gidley. Dureau had gone off injured, leaving us with half a footballer trying to lead the team around. Taia was sharing the 5/8th role with someone else, can't remember who, and probably noticing like the rest of the world that our only "kicker" was struggling immensely with the pressure decided to try and help.

Good intentions? Yes
Good execution? ....not really.
Were there better options?...barely.

strewth_mate

Bench
Can't imagine it's so clear cut. Nobody can deny the coaching situation will affect something in some way, but it's one thing to say it will cause problems and another to implicate it in everything our team does wrong on the field.

I think it's a bad habit on this forum of late that people will argue in extremes, deconstructing each game to its individual plays and sticking each with a deeper meaning. You'll usually find significance, real or fictitious, in anything if you're looking for it - you could, say, find events in a player's game identifying him as a racist. Or whether they're a scruncher or a folder. I personally think Lulia's spilled bomb is due to the financial crisis.

Convenient explanations aren't always right though. True, I can't say that Wicks' shocking pass is NOT due to the Smith situation. But really, we were playing catchup against the resident failures. Stupid plays are par for the course in those situtations and we'll see it from most teams in most weeks. I'm as frustrated about the game as anyone, but I really don't think it's entirely reasonable to be blaming the coaching situation for absolutely everything, despite how conveniently it can be made to fit.

Anyhow, Wicks seems intent on building a career around waving the ball around in one hand and throwing one handed flick passes, so it was probably just business as usual for the big guy...