What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adam Mogg

Kris_man

Bench
Ok, i thought i'd start a post about this bloke seeing as though discussions about him are popping up everywhere. you all know my opinion on him: he's not crap, but he's highly average.

DJ Raida

Bench
Mogg is an absolute champion, and one of the reasons we wernt alot lower last season, when teams spread the ball wide, he was there, and his 1 on 1 tackles for this season prove that

Not to mention how many tries he set up for Graham, Gaf, N. Smith, etc.

Our best outside back this year, IMO.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
Average? no way...he has good speed and his defense is solid, how can you call someone who makes an impact almost every time he touches the ball average?

Um Jammer Lammy

Juniors
I think any team in the NRL would be lucky to have him, I'm not a big fan but thats because I think our club needs a different kind of player in his position. What I would like to see is Mogg in the backrow or at lock he's definatly big enough and yeah he makes his tackles but when he's on Grahams side shit hits the fan a bit because Mogg comes up fast when the heat is on and Graham is idle or in reverse. But with Croker finishing up in the next 2 years and Mogg slowly ageing I think he'd be a great backrower plenty of speed for sure. Anyone agree?

Go Raiders in 2005 I can't wait!!

Tidus_Raider

Bench
Ale, Frawley and Graham should all be ahead of fim by the midway point next year. He is solid yes but not a standout. He might have been one of our best backs this year but lets face it he had little opposition. Schif struggled compared to last year, Monas went MIA after signing for the chooks, Graham was injured or in PL. Gafa and Chalk both showed they are capable but didnt get enough time in their premier positions.

thickos

First Grade
Moggy's game really developed in 2004 which was pleasing to see. He is deceptively quick and has a good fend and set up or scored a lot of great tries. Clearly his best asset is with the ball in hand as he still has a bad habit of rushing up in defence. But stuff like that can be worked on.

Lacks the flashy skill of Graham but a solid first grader IMO. Will be there in Rd 1.

Kris_man

Bench
Mogg does most of his runs from dummy half i think you'll find, kinda like Schifcofske does. It's not that i don't think he a had a good year (and i say "good", certainly not great), but i think he was at his maximum potential, that's as good as he gets. I believe that Graham, Chalk, Frawley, Ale and Gafa all have potential to be way way better than Mogg was in 2004, especially the first four i mentioned.

it also seems to me like Mogg relies on lazy defence to make his breaks/score his tries. this is true for every player, but it seems to be more accentuated in Mogg. usually to start a run he'll fend off some feeble attempt at tackle, whereas i think the other backs in our side have more raw skill and speed, and therefore would be able to excel more consistently, and against a wider range of teams. Mogg's the type of guy who won't even look damaging at all, then all of a sudden he'll make a break. to me that signals that it was a fluke in the first place, or at least just relaying on bad defence.

i also can't think of any times when Mogg has got a crucial try at a crucial time, whereas i can think of a number of times when Graham and Schifcofske has got the crucial try or crucial play. this tells me that Mogg does his best when the other team "gives up", or has not really turned up to play. when the opposition is hot, Mogg is cold. this is the opposite for gamebreakers like Graham and Schifcofske.

bucko

Juniors
Mogg is a dead set champion player, I reckon underrated throughout the NRL comp. Since coming to the raiders, he has really stood out for mine, and is one of the best in the comp when it comes to gettin outside his man. Also excellent in defence out wide, we really struggle without him.

raiders_boy

Juniors
Kris_man said:
it also seems to me like Mogg relies on lazy defence to make his breaks/score his tries. this is true for every player, but it seems to be more accentuated in Mogg.

i also can't think of any times when Mogg has got a crucial try at a crucial time, whereas i can think of a number of times when Graham and Schifcofske has got the crucial try or crucial play. this tells me that Mogg does his best when the other team "gives up", or has not really turned up to play. when the opposition is hot, Mogg is cold. this is the opposite for gamebreakers like Graham and Schifcofske.

Look...

Everyone knows how highly I rate Mogg... A number of times I have brought up how good a defender he is, especially one one one, and lets face it, its usually out wide where we get scored upon. Without Mogg we'd be in a lot more trouble. I have also made it clear how I think Mogg makes N. Smith look good, and puts his tries on a platter for him.

Quite frankly I think Kris is making things up... How do u determine what a crucial moment is? Surely you would rather tries are scored any time? And the reference to the defence "giving up?" Thats farcical!!! They're not gonna just let him through!

Dude... when the oppositions hot, the Raiders are cold. You're just trying to find more stuff to bag onto Moggy, in an attempt to turn people against him, when quite frankly, the majority of Raiders supporters realise that he has indredible talent.

I could go on all night...

** #1 Mogg fan**

raiders_boy

Juniors
Kris_man said:
Mogg does most of his runs from dummy half i think you'll find, kinda like Schifcofske does. It's not that i don't think he a had a good year (and i say "good", certainly not great), but i think he was at his maximum potential, that's as good as he gets. I believe that Graham, Chalk, Frawley, Ale and Gafa all have potential to be way way better than Mogg was in 2004, especially the first four i mentioned.

Ok...

Also, I don't see you having a dig at schif, so why bring this first point up? And how can you compare Ale, a guy who has been good in Flegg to Mogg, who is an established first grader? Ale hasn't even proven himself in PL!!! I just don't get that, because you clearly can't compare a Flegg player to a first grader, or Ale would be there already... Especially at his age!

Mogg was a standout in 04... Kris... I just think you're trying to add anti-flammable material to a fire that you seem to be getting burned by...

** #1 Mogg fan **

Kris_man

Bench
They're not gonna just let him through!
you'd be surprised, watch Mogg's try against Souths in Round 26.
when the oppositions hot, the Raiders are cold.
untrue. sometimes they're both hot, and that's when you get your great games. what is a crucial moment? when your team is losing by a small margin, there's not much time left, and you need points quick, as opposed to at the end of a game when you're either ahead or behind by heaps - that would be a good place to start. to deny that there are "crucial moments" is absurd.
the majority of Raiders supporters realise that he has indredible talent.
the "majority" argument always loses: the majority of Australians in the 19th century believed in a White Australia. does that put it into perspective? quite frankly, what the majority thinks has f**k-all difference on my beliefs/opinions.

but...i agree that Mogg is a top defensive centre.

Kris_man

Bench
my "dummy-half run" comment was in direct reply to the person that wrote he "has an impact every time he touches the ball", which is simply untrue, almost laughable - most of his runs are from dummy-half from where he usually makes no more than about 5m.

Kris_man

Bench
Also, I don't see you having a dig at schif, so why bring this first point up? And how can you compare Ale, a guy who has been good in Flegg to Mogg, who is an established first grader? Ale hasn't even proven himself in PL!!! I just don't get that, because you clearly can't compare a Flegg player to a first grader, or Ale would be there already... Especially at his age!
:roll: :roll: do you even read what i write??? i said Ale has potential to be better than Mogg was in 2004. that's a very simple and specific statement, but somehow you've interpreted it as me saying that Ale is better than Mogg! :roll: