Addin Fonua Blake

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by Banjo2014, Sep 16, 2020.

1. redandwhite4evr

redandwhite4evr Juniors

I was involved last year in a verbal stoush with some posters who rejected my assertion that SGI acted decisively, but unjustly, in tearing up AFB's contract when he was just a kid of 18 years of age for domestic violence. Summary execution- no attempt at rehabilitation .

Turned out that AFB had been bashed from pillar to post by a violent alcoholic father and violence is the way he had had learned that disagreements are resolved. He was then enrolled in courses relating to anger management and respect for women and, actually became something of a role model- lecturing on this subject to other offenders.

To my knowledge he is still in the same relationship he was at the time of his initial offence and so a happy ending on that issue. BUT I have to admit that I was unimpressed by his use of the words spastic and genius to describe the referee. He's now 24 and no more excuses.

It's a yes from me but I would want some strong behaviour clauses in the contract.

Dea and Mjab like this.
  2. Old Timer

Old Timer Coach

LMFAO
    How much time did you do?

Gareth67 likes this.
  3. Old Timer

Old Timer Coach

If the absolute truth was revealed about past and present players behaviour on a range of issues then you apply political correctness you wouldn’t have a game.

The NRL is not in its own either so what shits me is the people who follow the game, out the offenders but know deep down there are others just as guilty but because it’s not in the news it’s still ok to follow the game.

Receiving & giving brown paper bags, drugs, peptides, domestic violence, people too frightened to come forward, women who made strong charges but withdrew them etc etc etc etc all part of the fabric of the game and let’s not leave out how some have been immortalised.

Funny how some make noise about 1 or 2 things but happily support the game despite other incidents.

4. muzby

muzby Village Idiot Staff Member

Whilst that’s a contributing factor to his behaviour, it’s no excuse.

There are plenty of people out there who have grown up with that kind of family environment, some choose to break the cycle.

The club did well on their stance, they waited for the court to make its judgement, then showed that domestic violence has no place in our game.
    I’d argue that he hasn’t learned about anger management & treatment of females at all. He bullied Erin Moylan rather than helping her to learn, and chose to make derogatory comments about disabled people when a decision in a game didn’t go his way.
    I’d say knowing how not to behave like he does should have occurred a long way before 24..

TruSaint likes this.
  5. HenryTatana

HenryTatana Juniors

Didn’t quite catch all of NRL 360 but there there was something about him celebrating his release from a Manly with a silly post and smoking one of those hooka or whatever it’s called pipes blowing smoke rings.

Appears the bloke hasn’t learned anything about what is acceptable behaviour. I suggest he watch Bambi, he may learn something.

6. possm

possm Coach

I think it was two weeks. Willow looked after me and put me on the right track.

Gareth67 likes this.
  7. The calm one

The calm one Juniors

He is not coming here

8. possm

possm Coach

So dry, you really make me smile. All I can say is that I hope you are wrong but it would not surprise me if you are right.

For me, AFB is our number 1 priority.

9. Dragon David

Dragon David Juniors

If Manly is prepared to release AFB it means to me that he continues with anger issues plus I have a feeling that his knee problems are chronic and he would be a liability on and off the field. Just my two bobs worth.

ALSGI and Mjab like this.
  10. possm

possm Coach

Yes, maybe or maybe not. We will find out soon enough as I'm sure Griffin will do due diligence before signing any player.

11. redVinme

redVinme Juniors

Where's Bennett man. Owen let me down.

12. Mjab

Mjab Juniors

I suspect there must be something significant happening for them to be happy to release him

ALSGI, denis preston and Inisai Toga like this.
  13. be55

be55 Juniors

Holy shit , just saw he is on 850000 a season for the next two years with his contract with Manly... I'm not saying he isn't worth it for what he does on the field but he must have had a good manager to negotiate that considering his past indiscretions...I didn't think he'd be on anywhere near that much...when I saw that I thought it must be a misprint but obviously not...wow can't believe it.

14. be55

be55 Juniors

The warriors are going to match the 850000 a season for a three year deal to secure his signature...that's massive money for a prop forward... I'm shocked...

ALSGI and denis preston like this.
  15. The calm one

The calm one Juniors

Yeah he got one wrong. But I did warn you it was owl breeding season and he had other things on his mind. You also forget that he told you DeBelin would re sign if the judge will let him play and Welch was not coming here. So 2 out of 3 ain't bad if you can remember. Meatloaf Man.

Leave the tomato plants to me. You're brain can't handle it.

Stay calm

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  16. not_all_there

not_all_there Juniors

I’d say sign him up but not for 850k jeezus

17. SBD82

SBD82 Coach

Where are you seeing that reported? NRL360 gave the value of his contract as $550k per year.

Edit. Never mind. Just saw it reported on tonight’s NRL360. They reported $550k last night.

$850k sounds like bullshit.

Mjab likes this.
  18. redandwhite4evr

redandwhite4evr Juniors

I like Erin Molan but she does suffer from foot in mouth disease- and her hooka looka mooka comment was incredibly obtuse for someone of her standing- and then she refused to apologise. She is over ten years older than Blake so if anyone should know how to speak and act in the media, it should be her. I'm with Blake on that one

19. muzby

muzby Village Idiot Staff Member

I question that if that was a male journalist he would have carried on like he did.

That being said, a more mature way of handling a cultural situation is to ask the person to sit down to a rational discussion on air to explain why what they thought was funny was actually offensive.

Not only will it be more effective at getting the message across to the individual, it also helps to educate the masses.

That’s what a true cultural leader would have done.

20. redVinme

redVinme Juniors

I was sharing in the disappointment not having a dig.

Life's a garden and all that