What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Admins, discussion about using gmail accounts

5harkies

Juniors
I'm not sure if the forum software allows it or not but is it possible to let you create an account here using a gmail account? Yes it's a free service but it's a service that most people will keep for years. I download my email through POP and use the gmail system tray icon at work.

Has this been talked about before? If not, is it something the admins could please consider? What do others think?

TooheysNew

Coach
The thing with G-Mail is that you can register as many accounts as you have invites for. That means that people who are banned can register numerous accounts making it harder for admin.

I don't see the problem with using your ISP email address - and if it really is an issue where you cannot access you registration email from home or whatever, we can probably come to a compromise where we change the email address after registering.

Razor

Coach
The thing with G-Mail is that you can register as many accounts as you have invites for. That means that people who are banned can register numerous accounts making it harder for admin.

I don't see the problem with using your ISP email address - and if it really is an issue where you cannot access you registration email from home or whatever, we can probably come to a compromise where we change the email address after registering.

But most ISPs have multiple email accounts. You can delete them as often as you want and create new ones. So banned users can also do that.

I'm not interested in using a free email account, but the same theory applies

TooheysNew

Coach
Yes, true, but it's a lot easier to trace an ISP email address than it is Gmail. At least with ISP addresses the domain name will be the same between the banned users - and the amount of people using that domain will be lower, whereas with Gmail the domain name is much more widespread.

It's a matter of making things as straightforward as possible.

5harkies

Juniors
I have a bigpond account but it's full of spam and i'm trying to get rid of it. If it's possible to change it after registering that would be great. I've also put in a request to change my name.

Razor

Coach
I have a bigpond account but it's full of spam and i'm trying to get rid of it. If it's possible to change it after registering that would be great. I've also put in a request to change my name.

Just create another email account (I think Bigpond lets you have 5). They won't let you change your main username (although a threat can help - I'm with Optus and I wanted to change my main username a couple of years back to the original one I used for dial-up which I couldn't take when I signed with broadband. They wouldn't let me, so said "Okay I'd like to cancel my account please, and while you're at it please cancel my fixed-line, mobile and pay TV accounts also", they then said "Hang on sir, I've just discoverd that we can change your username without any problem", and it was done in 30 seconds (Bigpond might take longer because unlike Optus, Bigpond requires you to login before you use the Net. Optus you turn the computer on you're on the Net without having to worry about those stupid login clients.)

Latest posts