What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adrian Purtell

thickos

First Grade
Purtell's improving all the time. Still lacks a touch of pace but he has the build to be a handful. I'd like to see him back himself more, or come looking for it. Could be good scooting out of dummy half.

Got no problems with him in the side, he's doing his job.

legend

Coach
He was run down by Clint Newton last night and a winger should never be run by a back rower.

He is safer than Best, be he will always be the Turtell.

Sydney_Raider

Juniors
Mal Meninga said:
Good point - It escapes alot of people when they are compared. However this is not about Howell and his brain farts, it's about Purts our best winger in years and people still bag him out constantly. Put him in as a bolter for Country!

You have got to be kidding, the bloke has scored 5 tries in 28 games. They are stats you would expect from a forward not a winger.

Chachi

Bench
Mal Meninga said:
Good point - It escapes alot of people when they are compared. However this is not about Howell and his brain farts, it's about Purts our best winger in years and people still bag him out constantly. Put him in as a bolter for Country!
!
Specify your interpretation of "years". Are we talking dog years here?

Mal Meninga

Bench
Sydney_Raider said:
You have got to be kidding, the bloke has scored 5 tries in 28 games. They are stats you would expect from a forward not a winger.
First of all it's 25 games. Secondly, how many opportunitys does Purts get in the opposition 20? Basically none. Whenever he does though, I can only picture him crashing into the corner ala Dragons and Dogs. Thirdly, which player in our backline has scored only 20 tries since his debut in 2003?

He was run down by Clint Newton last night and a winger should never be run by a back rower
Purts had to stop and catch the ball behind him. It wasn't like he had the footy in full flight.. How about when he caught up to Billy Slater the other week, people won't mention.

Exactly, he's a white lanky version of Jonah Lomu. :cool:

Sydney_Raider

Juniors
Mal Meninga said:
First of all it's 25 games. Secondly, how many opportunitys does Purts get in the opposition 20? Basically none. Whenever he does though, I can only picture him crashing into the corner ala Dragons and Dogs. Thirdly, which player in our backline has scored only 20 tries since his debut in 2003?

I can picture him getting smashed back in to the in goal area by Preston Campbell.

parra pete

Referee
Looks like Fred Gwynne,, the bloke out of 'Car 54 Where are you'...Or Lurch in the Addams Family.
Can play a bit though.

greenhat

Juniors
On a totally unrelated note, he's apparently from Albury. Its a pity he didn't live a couple of kms away on the other side of the river or he'd be well known by now.
and we'd be calling him 'Gringo' instead of 'Turtell'.

julian87

Juniors
Come to think olf it, he has very few try scoring opportunities. Think about our top try scorers last year: Tongue, Graham and Carney.

It's been the same this year, the tries havde come up through the middle of the park and if the ball does get out to Graham he normally goes himself (which I'm not complaining about). I think our backline is set tbh, besides right centre. Looks like Henry likes Howell. I like Campese and have high hopes for Frawley/Irwin.

But I think, hopefully, the rest of the backline shouldn't change unless something drastically bad happens. And hopefully someone can nail the right centre position, because there will be lots of competition for it.

On a side note, how good are our forwards/depth looking. This is without TLL, Bickerstaff, virtually Thompson and Weyman not having even played a game so far. I'm glad to see Thurling and Miller back and playing well so far as well.

edabomb

First Grade
The main thing I see Purtell having over Howell in attack is decision making. Howell always tries too hard to throw a miracle ball, or setup his man on the outside when the numbers aren't there. I like it how Purtell isn't afraid to be tackled with the ball after a break, often setting us up with good chances on the back of some momentum.

Raider_69

Post Whore
edabomb said:
The main thing I see Purtell having over Howell in attack is decision making. Howell always tries too hard to throw a miracle ball, or setup his man on the outside when the numbers aren't there. I like it how Purtell isn't afraid to be tackled with the ball after a break, often setting us up with good chances on the back of some momentum.

i concur, purtell is a smarter footballer, more composed, like monday night, he was in the clear, saw newtown coming across, instead of doing something silly like challange him on the outside and get taken into touch or put in a mircle kick/pass, he came infield abit, took the tackle, got a quick play the ball and scored next play

if that was howell i dont think we score next play, as howell probably c**ks something up

dubby

Bench
edabomb said:

good point. Like Nick said, he makes the right decisions unlike David "brain fart" Howell.

dubby

Bench
legend said:
He was run down by Clint Newton last night and a winger should never be run by a back rower.

He is safer than Best, be he will always be the Turtell.

He wasnt run down mate, Newton was back there having a bludge and cut him off. I admit if that was Best, Graham or Zilly they would have had the pace to get around him.

taffy

Juniors
its true purtell doesnt get the opportunities other wingers have in the oppositions 20, the ball is rarely spread to his wing and its rare for cross field kicks to go his way.

IMO he is a centre anyway... in the games he played in the centres in PL he has a great off load and runs good lines. i think he is wasted on the wing where he only takes dummy half hitups.