What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL 2007 - Fixture (Official)

meltiger

First Grade
No.

Inherently unfair to some clubs, and tremendously stacked in favour of others.

Collingwood made the finals and Richmond didn't.

Collingwood play 2006 finalists 10 times, Richmond 12.

How is this fair?

meltiger

First Grade
Essendon got it worse than us too and they finished 15th!

It's time the AFL were charged with commiting fraud against the general public who actually pay money into their coffers for running a completely rigged competition.

If Collingwood miss the finals after completing their way through that draw ... :lol:

lockyno1

Post Whore
I have no dramas with that draw. You should be able to beat anyone and the top 8 make the finals. Simple.

meltiger

First Grade
If year after year 1 particular team is given a favourable draw, this doesn't amount to corruption?

Rubbish.

Red Bear

Referee
4 of the top 5 (after regularseason) twice, 5 interstate trips, including twice in last 4 rounds. And having to finish the season in west coast, a match that most probly wont be on tv:( sh*thouse draw, even meltiger thinks theres something wrong with it!

meltiger

First Grade
Hawthorn ... 9! games outside Victoria.

I can only hope the money is worth the members that may be chased away.

I cannot beleive the AFL's reward for playing for games in an outpost which helps promote the game has been reward with an additional 5 interstate trips.

They qualify by far as having the worst draw so far of the 6 teams I've looked at.

CyberKev

Staff member
Hawthorn can't complain too much, I suppose.

They get 13 games in Victoria and the four games in Tassie (given their form there) makes it more like 17.

I think we would have been hoping to get a couple more away games at the MCG and a couple less at the Dome, but on the upside, more games at the Dome will provide a good test for our improving forward structure.

It could have been worse, particularly as we're playing two games in Tassie against Victorian sides.

oh boo hoo hoo.......why is everyone saying collingwood gets an easy draw? we play 18games in VIC, only 1 more than STK, GEEL and a few others who have 17games in VIC

collingwood play 2 of the top 4 teams twice (syd and adel) and we play WCE in perth

meltiger

First Grade
Collingwood Storm said:
why is everyone saying collingwood gets an easy draw?

Because they do?

What's funny is that you lot continue to deny it year after year after year.

At least we get to kick your over rated skunkish arses twice next year...

CyberKev

Staff member
Okay, after a further look at the draw...

1) I'm not surprised that Hawthorn hasn't received a fab draw, but nor should it expect to, given that you will usually receive better concessions to this end when you're consistently doing well on the park and drawing consistently stronger crowds in the process.

2) Away games are away games and while we don't have a leg to stand on with the higher than expected complement of Dome fixtures, given that we were relieving St Kilda of its unwanted commitments in Tassie, you would think we could have been afforded a couple of extra away games at the G.

3) Hawthorn fans have, by and large, always shown disdain for the Dome, which hasn't been helped by a long history of poor performances at the venue. Frankly, as an out of towner, I can't wear the ultra-soft "we don't like the Dome" line! The signs were there this season that the team is on the cusp of turning around its poor record there and if the supporters are genuine about increasing games at the G in future then they have little choice but to haul their pompous butts along to the five Dome games in 2007!

4) Surely the most ridiculous piece of scheduling for the entire season occurs in round 13 when the Hounds and the Kangaroos get an early Sunday game at the MCG, whilst two MCG home sides in Collingwood & Hawthorn get a twilight game at the bloody Dome???!!!

5) The club should be peeved at only receiving one Friday night game for the entire year.

6) Personally, I still prefer Saturday afternoon games before all else, and a return of a mere four of these matches for the year is not good.

7) What gives with 5.10 Sunday twilight games? I'm yet to hear anyone espouse a love for such a timeslot, and find such scheduling as patently bloody ridiculous!

8) At the end of the day, we have to play the cards we've been dealt and I'm just looking forward to kicking things off at the Gabba.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Eagles unhappy with 'lousy' draw

AFL premiers West Coast are far from impressed with their draw for the 2007 season.

The Eagles begin their title defence with a grand final rematch against the Swans in Sydney, the first time the previous year's grand finalists have met in the opening round since 1990.

But the game is an evening fixture and the Eagles are far from happy.

"I think our draw is rather lousy from a number of aspects," chief executive Trevor Nisbett said.

"We expressed our concerns and have done for the last three or four seasons about night games away from home, where we're on the road for three-and-a-half days.

"We've ended up with four of those games, so it hasn't been a great result from that point of view."

Nisbett is also angry that the club only gets to play one game at the MCG for the entire home and away season.

"It's quite staggering really when you think that one of the reasons we were given for the Friday night fixtures we have away from home at night is that we're a side that's attracting great attendances and great public viewing, and yet we can't get a game at the premier venue," he said.

West Coast's western rivals Fremantle are generally happy with the draw.

Dockers chief executive Cameron Schwab said the team will not play in Tasmania next year, but will take on the Bulldogs in the Northern Territory mid-season.

"We actually have a game in Darwin. We will enjoy that, that's the first time that we've played a home and away game there, so that will be terrific against the Western Bulldogs," he said.

"We have a Friday night game in Melbourne which will be very interesting, given that it'll be Chris Tarrant's return to the MCG against Collingwood."

But Mr Schwab said the AFL did not understand how difficult the travelling aspect was for WA-based clubs.

"We get bundled in with the other interstate clubs, whereas we have to be recognised as a separate case," he said.

"The travel routine is a key component for clubs that have to travel the most and it might sound arrogant on our behalf, but I think the Fremantle and Eagles draws should almost be done first."

http://www.abc.net.au/sport/content/200610/s1773443.htm

meltiger said:
Because they do?

What's funny is that you lot continue to deny it year after year after year.

At least we get to kick your over rated skunkish arses twice next year...

i don't deny that we get a good draw....but it is very simliar to a lot of other melbourne clubs, the bulldogs only have 3 interstate games this year (but they sell one of theirs to canberra and one to darwin...so that makes 5 but its their fault), and most melbourne based clubs travel 5 times

hawthorn travel 9 times (4 of those are games they sold to tassie)
carlton travel 6 times (one of those is kangaroos in carrara...which is bad luck because kangaroos dont want to play them in melbourne)
essendon travel 5 times
stk travel 5 times

so stop whinging about collingwood and just hope your side wins enough games

meltiger

First Grade
Collingwood Storm said:
so stop whinging about collingwood and just hope your side wins enough games

I'd be more concerned about your team wining enough games.

We will spank you twice, so that puts us two games ahead of you before the season even starts.

Although there is some hope for the Pies, playing against us twice gives you two chances to kick more than 1 goal in the first half ..... :lol:

With regards to your oh so typically Collingwood arrogance about the draw ... It's not just about interstate trips. Collingwood have the easiest draw of all the Victorian teams, as they do every single year. That is beyond fact.

Of course, how could we do it any other way? We have to ensure Collingwood make the finals, or else the thousands of bandwagon jumping feral f**ks who claim to be loyal supporters might stop attending the games...

CyberKev

Staff member
Haha, nice to see Craig keeping the dream alive.

This forum hasn't seen this level of feistiness so late into October since, well, er, pretty much EVER, actually! :p

meltiger said:
I'd be more concerned about your team wining enough games.

We will spank you twice, so that puts us two games ahead of you before the season even starts.

Although there is some hope for the Pies, playing against us twice gives you two chances to kick more than 1 goal in the first half ..... :lol:

With regards to your oh so typically Collingwood arrogance about the draw ... It's not just about interstate trips. Collingwood have the easiest draw of all the Victorian teams, as they do every single year. That is beyond fact.

Of course, how could we do it any other way? We have to ensure Collingwood make the finals, or else the thousands of bandwagon jumping feral f**ks who claim to be loyal supporters might stop attending the games...

why is it that most tigs supporters are dining out on the fact that they beat collingwood this season???? is that how bad things are for tigs fans, that they need to keep telling themselves 'yes, remember we beat collingwood' and here you are telling us how bad collingwood is and yet your still so excited about the win......maybe us pies supporters should start saying do you remember back in '05 when we were so sh1t that we got a priority pick that we beat WCE by 5 goals when they were 1 player off a full strength team and we had most of our top line players out

Richmond should feel priviliged that they get to play collingwood twice next year meaning that they have a home game against us....it is more than they deserve for being money hungry back in '03 and '04

all we need now is for the tigs to go back to where they belong......9th :lol:

meltiger

First Grade
Collingwood Storm said:
all we need now is for the tigs to go back to where they belong......9th :lol:

You mean as opposed to finishing the regular season 5th off the back of an annual favourable draw and getting pounded, embarrassed and utterly exposed as filthy pretenders in the first week of the finals? By the team that finished 8th nonetheless.

I'd rather have finished 9th and have the club know there is still work to be done rather than deluding ourselves into beleiving we're one of the games top 5 outfits...

Latest posts