What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL Crowds?

Hello,

I dont know if others noticed, but the crowds at the AFL trial games this week were quite small. I know only 5,000 were at Optus Oval to watch Carlton, and even yesterday, a small ground like Manuka was far from full. The thing is, a lot of these clubs were playing at their home grounds. So what is it with the small numbers? I thought a lot more would go for these games, or has it always been that way?

Either way, i dont think the AFL could be happy with such shabby turnouts, especially teams who played at their home grounds....

Moffo.

CarltonChick

Juniors
Well sorry to inform you, but its called the Pre-season cup, and firstly, its a waste of money, second, nobody goes!!
Also Cralton match was played at OPTUS OVAL (shit venue) and it was against West Coast, so overall.
A Carlton match against the eagles at Optus oval in the pre-season cup, of course there will be no people there!! And games like Collingwood Vs Sydney, played at Canberra or whatever, of course it will be a small crowd, use ur brains!?

A

ali

Carlton Chick, I was under the impression that AFL fans were an extremely loyal bunch who would follow their team whenever and almost whereever they were playing. Maybe not.
The NRL has certainly got the right idea for pre season games. Our crowds have been pretty impressive. Excluding the charity shield, there was 12000 on the Gold Coast for Parra and Wests, a capacity 5000 in Gladstone, and they were predicting 12000 for the Sharks and Warriors in Christchurch.
I also believe that the Warriors vs Souths game at Carlaw park is going to be sold out as is Cowboys vs Souths in Mackay.
League is definately looking strong outside of NRL team areas. Last weekend was going to be a record weekend of crowds for NRL trials. I assume we broke the record.

ex-manager

Juniors
I agree with MM. I would sooner have AFL size crowds for the NRL regular season. I'd probably be far less inclined to turn up for any pre-season fixture, Saturday's Souths v Saints game being the exception to the rule.

Most fans of football (Soccer)clubs in England tend not to take much notice of warm up matches.

MM...i agree as well

Carlton - First off, its hardly a waste of time when players are getting their first run in 6 months. Also, its used to 'promote' AFL with games in supposedly 'developing' areas. Well to get 7500 to Manuka at the return of Plugger to 'real footy' is terrible. Add to this the number of Collingwood fans who would've made the drive a few hours up from Melbourne. You can dispute it all you want, but for a capital city who gets no AFL during the year, its a terrible crowd.

I said it was played at Optus Oval...Hold on, aren't Carlton one of the most followed teams in the AFL? I must be wrong :)

Moffo.

CarltonChick

Juniors
Ok you people are making me angry!! pre-season is all about letting the rookies play, how boring would it be to watch those little shits run around trying to learn how to play real AFL!! knownof you of stupid rugby supporters no what u are talking about so shut ur whole!!
I thought u said u need AFL fans in here, cos u will be without one if u keep bagging AFL and especially CARLTON!! I am a very protective person of my sports and sporting teams!! JUST WARNING YOU!

OK....well its a discussion board, so if u want to discuss the issues, id love to. After all, discussion board are made for discussing.

Im not bagging it CC, i just thought 5,000 to a game was poor. I got nothing against Carlton, it was just they attracted a bum crowd.....

If u want my honest thoughts, the Hawthorn team with Crawford,Chick and others are ready to take the flag this year
emteeth.gif

Moffo.

ex-manager

Juniors
CC, I thought I was in agreement with most of your sentiments. The only thing I found odd was how you reffered to Optus Oval as a shit ground. Do all Carlton fans feel like that about their traditional home?

CarltonChick

Juniors
Optus oval is a good ground, but...its in a shit venue and there isn't enough public seating!! It is situated in Carlton which means it take f**kin ages to get to the ground, if you decide to catch public transport, its just annoying to get to!?

RedDevil_11

Juniors
Optus Oval is the biggest hellhole! Hardly any public seating. The new legends stand is a waste of natural resources!

ex-manager

Juniors
I would hardly call 3.4 km from Melbourne CBD, right next to a major tram route, a bad place to stick a footy ground. How many public seats does the place have?

RedDevil_11

Juniors
To tell you the truth Gav, i haven't been there for a while but i'm never going there again. I hate Carlton anyway. Most of the new stand is for reserved seating that costs an arm and a leg. There's a whole grandstand for AFL members and the other 2 stands are basically for Carlton members.

Go 'Pies!!!!

ex-manager

Juniors
Red Dev, I always liked the look of Princes Park/Optus Oval even though Carlton live there, it has an intimacy that bigger grounds lack. Well that's how it appears in pictures and on the telly. But then I also liked Windy Hill and Victoria Park and look at who played there.
emwink.gif

P

pepe

optus oval is in a wonderful location,it's no more than 2 kms north of the city and is very accessible by tram or car,it's surrounded by a great park with plenty of parking so i fail to see where you are coming from carlton chick,you must live in the dandenongs or outer suburbs i'd presume. optus is a great viewing ground with a mixture of modern and old grandstands,the only negatives about the ground is it gets bloody cold and the toilets are f#$king smelly at the best of times. pepe

M

meltiger

<table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 width="100%" border=1> <tbody> <tr bgcolor=#ecf1f6> <td nowrap align=middle background=http://sc.communities.msn.com/img/pby/mb/reply_bg.gif><a target=_top title="Add a reply to this message.">Reply</a>
c.gif
</td> <td width="100%"> <table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 width="100%" border=0> <tbody> <tr> <td> Recommend (0 recommendations so far)</td> <td align=right>Message 18 of 18 in Discussion </td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr> <tr bgcolor=#ffffe8> <td width="100%" colspan=2> <table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=4 width="100%" border=0> <tbody> <tr> <td valign=top nowrap width="100%">From:pepe the great</td> <td valign=top nowrap>Sent:22/02/2002 8:57PM</td></tr></tbody></table> <table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=10 width="100%" bgcolor=#ffffff border=0> <tbody> <tr> <td> Optus is a great viewing ground with a mixture of modern and old grandstands,the only negatives about the ground is it gets bloody cold and the toilets are f#$king smelly at the best of times.</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>
What utter shitte Pepe. Optus is a crap hole, every year opposition supporters once seeing the next seasons draw, the first thing they do is look to see if they have to make the trek out to that crap ground at any stage of the year. Thankfully my Tigers don't this year
emsmile.gif

CyberKev006

Juniors
Moffo

If u want my honest thoughts, the Hawthorn team with Crawford,Chick and others are ready to take the flag this year
emteeth.gif

We may well be polls apart when it comes to political ideology, but I'll concur with your views on football anytime if this is an example
emthup.gif

I still think it'll be either Brisbane or Essendon again, but oh how I wish...

CyberKev

Latest posts