What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL scheduling problems for 2011 GF

simostorm

Bench
http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=7940694

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou has raised the unlikely prospect of moving the 2011 grand final away from the MCG due to a prospective scheduling clash with cricket.
The expanded 17-team competition next year means the AFL are looking at moving the grand final back one week to October 1, rather than the traditional last Saturday in September.

Possibly AFL on Saturday, NRL on Sunday..

However if AFL were to move it away from MCG, to keep it on its traditional timeslot.. other alternatives would be at Docklands.

Would the AFL be so Bold to attempt to hold it at Homebush!! The year before there introduction of West Syd CLub?

Last edited:

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
basically it's the afl scheduling the grand final in for when they knew cricket would have the mcg and they're trying to strong arm their way in to get what they want.

f**k them.

docbrown

Coach
I believe they're locked into a long term contract with the MCG anyhow, till 2020 or so.

So any talk of moving the game is just that - talk.

Given that "Last Saturday in September" is so regarded in Victoria, I find it quite surprising that they'd just throw that history away by moving it to October 1st. Surely September is more important than the NAB Cup.

Bulldog Force

Referee
The AFL is NOT our national sport and is NOT bigger than the cricket. I can't see how they'd win this.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
there is no other ground that will hold nearly 100,000 people

I dont see anywhere else where they could hold it

Bulldog Force

Referee
ANZ has 81,000 capacity for AFL, so that would be the next logical option if capacity if their main concern. If not, one would think Etihad, although that only holds some 55,000 people - nearly half the MCG :lol:

user_nat

Coach
Couldn't they just start the season 1 week earlier..?

Would bet money that it will be at the MCG. They are just being silly, like the whole "we might not have a season if Australia gets the world cup!" thing.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Couldn't they just start the season 1 week earlier..?

Would bet money that it will be at the MCG. They are just being silly, like the whole "we might not have a season if Australia gets the world cup!" thing.

spot on

Bulldog Force

Referee
I believe they started the season later when Melbourne has the Commonwealth games on didn't they? Surely there are PLENTY of ways around this non-issue.

Loudstrat

Coach
ANZ? FFS - there is no way ANZ would let them play it the day before the NRL GF.

There is a bit of land out the back of Woomera. Highly radioactive from the old days of Pommy Nuclear testing. Perfect for geniuss like AFL players.

jargan83

Coach
I believe they started the season later when Melbourne has the Commonwealth games on didn't they? Surely there are PLENTY of ways around this non-issue.

Season started at the normal time that year but the only ground used for the first 6 rounds in Melbourne was Eithad

Xman

Bench
Who cares what the AFL does.

basically it's the afl scheduling the grand final in for when they knew cricket would have the mcg and they're trying to strong arm their way in to get what they want.

f**k them.

ANZ? FFS - there is no way ANZ would let them play it the day before the NRL GF.

There is a bit of land out the back of Woomera. Highly radioactive from the old days of Pommy Nuclear testing. Perfect for geniuss like AFL players.

Still more, yawn

Latest posts