What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL VS NRL

redVbull

Juniors
You’re spot on Crush.

But - if Dragons were playing tonight I wouldn’t care if it was Demis Roussos and Nana Mouskouri !!

Nana Mouskouri ??? Surely it'd have to be the original Mary MacGregor as star billing!!

Mickthedragon

Juniors
The Afl does do it better. I enjoy watching both sports but prefer league.
Its just the way the nrl is run at the moment which is very ordinary.
Its gotta be a rock band for a build up to a Gf for sure. Political or not it just doesnt have the intensity.
Sadly, the nrl are way behind

Old Timer

Coach
Very sad that the MC post match gave a commentary on the game
Saying Storm were 6 tries to 1 winners and very clinical was totally out of order
Complete lack of sensitivity for a team that had tried its guts out

Crush

Coach
Boring game. Boring entertainment. NRL gave thousands of tickets away to juniors to fill the stadium.
Cowboys were never in it.
Best team in the comp won though. Storm were clinical in their 6 tries to 1 defeat.

blacksafake

First Grade
The AFL on the field just get on with the game. No bs, no players getting in the umpires faces, opposition players handing the ball over on penalties not throwing it away etc as in the NRL. Commentators call the game not advertise tv shows or repeatedly point out the umpires mistakes. I love league but it really needs a shot in the arm in a big way & imo people like Greenburg aren't capable of fixing it.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Still. Its become a circus and the NRL has let it. Killers were great.
If you call promoting inclusion, diversity and equality as a circus then you're entitled to hold that view.

The Killers had a pro-equality stage set and did a tribute to Midnight Oil, one of Australia's more outspoken bands. But that was the AFL, so it must have been better.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Maybe they didnt book it for political reasons, though I think they just tried to match the AFLs logo stunt.
Either way politics and sport should never mix IMHO.
Politics and sport have always shared the same bus.This thread isn't big enough to list all the examples.Plus music is often political, and rugby league has had music for longer then I can remember.

But in this case, I think the accusation of politicising is being used by the No campaign to score, dare I say, political points. Presumably the same people would be OK with a military marching band providing the entertainment

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Meanwhile, Macklemore has said performing at the NRL grand final was one of the greatest honours of his career.
Link

Sounds like he's one of us.

grouch

First Grade
AFL sucks

Rugby league is the highest rating sport in Oz. Safe to presume the audience expands well beyond the "Triple M listener". Macklemore has had number 1 hits, he topped the triple J hottest 100. He's popular. NRL is popular. Makes sense to me.

I thought he was great

FlameThrower

Bench
In my opinion a big part of the problem with League is CH9. There stranglehold on scheduling games.? Friday night 7 day turnaround- Broncos time slot! Not promoting the game outside of QLD or NSW - eg showing Friday night game after midnight in SA or WA - when they have the digital channels available? They have done NOTHING to expand or promote the game that they rely on for advertising and viewers. Always the 1st to run a NRL player off field drama no matter how small it was! Woeful commentators Fittler/ Johns / Lockyer, more like yobbo mates at the pub on a Sunday arvo.. Rabs and Gus grumpy old man show every Sunday afternoon.. the list is endless...the home of Rugby League apparently..

ouryear

Juniors
AFL sucks

Rugby league is the highest rating sport in Oz. Safe to presume the audience expands well beyond the "Triple M listener". Macklemore has had number 1 hits, he topped the triple J hottest 100. He's popular. NRL is popular. Makes sense to me.

I thought he was great
We are not the highest rating.

AFL is.

Their crowds are THREE TIMES ours.

Television numbers are about the same.

But THREE TIMES more crowds.

FlameThrower

Bench
AFL sucks

I thought he was great
I don't believe Triple J is the barometer of NRL demographics...

Latest posts