What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AI sprinting

NPK

Bench
Do AI players (including those playing for your team) always sprint as fast as they can?
Eg. If I am playing against the computer and the AI makes a break and a player that I am not controlling chases the ball carrier, is it worth switching to the chasing player and press the sprint button myself, or just sit back because the AI plater is sprinting as fast as he can and controlling him myself and pressing sprint will not make a difference?

The Rooster

Juniors
I'd say it is worth changing. Even though you're AI player is sprinting, I find that a human controller is a bit faster.

Jono Russell

Bench
on the same lines as this question i have another:
is the AI for your team smart enough to put a fast player running after the opposition instead of a slow players (eg:sharks vs panthers, and preston gets a break away and is sprinting down the side line will my AI have jason stevens run after him because he is the closest or will they have say matty rieck do the chase as he is alot faster and has more chance of catching little preston)

The Rooster

Juniors
Well, usualy its the players closest to the ball that do the chasing. If you are chasing a forward with a back, you have a good chance of catching them. If you're chasing a winger with your winger usually you both run the same speed and cant catch them.

NPK

Bench
NPK said:
Do AI players (including those playing for your team) always sprint as fast as they can?
Eg. If I am playing against the computer and the AI makes a break and a player that I am not controlling chases the ball carrier, is it worth switching to the chasing player and press the sprint button myself, or just sit back because the AI plater is sprinting as fast as he can and controlling him myself and pressing sprint will not make a difference?

Mario, could you please answer this? :)

Erhan

Juniors
The Rooster said:
Well, usualy its the players closest to the ball that do the chasing. If you are chasing a forward with a back, you have a good chance of catching them. If you're chasing a winger with your winger usually you both run the same speed and cant catch them.

Unless you are playing in God mode.. I was playing against NZ and Paul Rauhihi made a break and sluggish old Minichello just couldn't foot it with the Speedster. *fun fun*

Wigan Warrior

Juniors
Just to add to all this,i was playing Wigan V Leeds and Andrew Dunneman made a break from Leeds own half and was in the clear,it looked like a certain try.I had about 3 or 4 players chasing him down the middle but Brett Dallas controlled by the CPU overtook them all and was gaining like hell on Dunneman.He managed to tackle him about 1 metre out and saved a certain try.

So,i suppose you could say the the CPU controlled players do sprint as fast as they can as long as they are not too fatigued.

NPK

Bench
I am still curious about this (see the original post) and have not received a definite answer. Can Mario or Alan or someone who knows answer it? :)

[furrycat]

Coach
From what I've gathered, it does not appear that the players run to their potential (AI on your team only). You should always change player and run yourself to make sure.

NPK

Bench
That doesn't seem fair - if they have a high speed rating, their actual speed should reflect this.

nightfall

Juniors
Yeh but it doesn't. I've had several cool chases (and they didn't have a 50 metre start either!):
- As matt sing, couldn't chase down jason ryles
- As mark gasnier, couldn't chase down shane webke.

YOu get the idea

The other way round is amusing as well:
- In clear space running with matt cooper, caught by one of the NSW forwards

the list goes on, but i can't remember most of them! you get the point though. I think they should have made this area a little more realistic.. I mean forwards *usually* cannot outrun backs given only a 10 m start!!

NPK

Bench
It's definitely unfair - it appears that the computer's AI players run as fast as they can but our teams' AI players don't.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
This is one of the games mechanics that is 'adjusted' to make it more difficult.

The break tackle ability of the AI players seems to suddenly leap if you are easily winning against a top side.

It is annoying to see the likes of Webcke go the length leaving players like Albert trailing in his wake, but if it were not like that you would win every game without conceeding any points.

Goleel

Juniors
Yeah, as the difficulty level goes up, the AI players attributes go up too, hence why forwards can outrun backs on legend and league god (especially god, which is just ridiculous, 80 metre gorden tallis tries? I dont think so). This is also why the AI breaks more tackles and misses less tackles when playing on the harder difficulties. That I can put up with, it makes the game more interesting, but when the AI players can outrun anybody on your team, it just gets plain annoying, that's why I just dont play on league god, rather I use the poorer teams on legend if i want a challenge. League God is just like pulling teeth, where you have to use cheap tactics (scrum tries, kicking out off kickoffs) to stay competitive because props are running 90 metres from the kickoff to score.

Crippler

Juniors
yeh the AI coding does need a heck of alot of work to be good.

In pro evolution soccer 3 as the AI diffulcty goes up the attributes stay the same but instead play more as a team and overall smarter. The CPU AI has the power in PES3 to learn which is quite amazing in sports games and would give it a 10/10 for AI programming.

Hopefully sidhe can get close to that but i doubt it with limited budgets.

KimmorleyKiller

Juniors
ive got a gravis eliminator aftershock so i made the sprint button in2 a "rapid fire key" and put the difficulty level on2 legend and played as STORM vs STORM and let billy slater make a break and then chased him using the other billy slater with the rapid fire key and even though i was technically pressing the sprint key 100 times per second he still made the gap larger and larger........

that feature should devinently be changed next version

Alan

Juniors
There is a small boost to a human-controlled player; it's an incentive to make the player get in there and do the work themselves - as opposed to letting the AI do all the hard yards.

Kickit

Juniors
The Rooster said:
I'd say it is worth changing. Even though you're AI player is sprinting, I find that a human controller is a bit faster.

You can sprint about 5% faster that the basic AI while chasing someone with the ball, so it is definitely worth changing (assuming the player you've changed into is faster than the AI player and closer anyway).

Latest posts