What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Albert Kelly

Tizzun

Juniors
Albert to captain Australian team
Shellie Brennan
space.gif

WHEN it comes to rugby league the sky's the limit for Kempsey youngster Albert Kelly. In front of a packed Suncorp Stadium crowd, Albert will lead the Australian under 16s Indigenous side onto the field to play against New Zealand on Friday night.
The match is a curtain-raiser to the Bundaberg ANZAC Test, when the Australian side take on their New Zealand counterparts.
At the age of 16, Albert has proved his talent on the footy field time and time again. Last year he represented the NSW Koori's under 16s in the three-match Tri Series against the Queensland Murri's. Each match was played prior to Tri Nations fixtures in Sydney and Brisbane.
The NSW Koori's won the series 2-1, with 36-14 and 24-22 wins in games one and two respectively, while the Queensland side enjoyed a 22-16 win in game three.
Albert playing in the five-eight role received the honour of being voted the best player from NSW for the series.
In March 2007, the NSW Under-16 Kooris triumphed over their Queensland counterparts in a match played at Suncorp Stadium as a curtain raiser to the Brisbane against Penrith NRL clash.
The match doubled as a selection trial for an Australian Under-16 Indigenous side to play New Zealand prior to the Bundaberg Test on April 20. Albert not only was selected for the team but was given the honour of captaining the side.
On top of his representative duties Albert found the time to play in the Group 2 competition with the Gimbisi Warriors under 18s team.
The Warriors were a force to be reckoned with on the field and won the 2006 premiership.
It comes as no surprise that a player of Albert's calibre is being sought after by five NRL clubs.
For the past year he has been under contract with Parramatta. He signed for another year with the club last week. He is currently playing in the Harold Matthews under 16s cup.
Albert has left his rugby league options open as his contract with Parramatta will finish next year.

Grandfather of the talented footballer Louis Kelly told The Macleay Argus he met with Albert and his manager Steve Gilles last week as Parramatta offered him a four-year contract.
"Parramatta is a good junior club and what they provide for kids like Albert is unbelievable," Louis said.
"The club is a first class organisation as far as junior league is concerned.
"Steve was not interested in the offer from Parramatta and we all decided Albert will play one year with Parramatta and see what happens in the future because four other NRL clubs are interested in him."
The other NRL clubs who have their eyes on Albert include St George, Eastern Suburbs, Brisbane Broncos and Manly Sea Eagles.
Louis could not speak highly enough of his grandson and said all the hard work Albert has put in over the years is starting to pay off.
"It is a huge honour for Albert to be the captain of the Australian Indigenous side," he said.
"I have no doubt one day he will play A-grade in the NRL."

http://kempsey.yourguide.com.au/detail.asp?class=sport&subclass=rugby%20league&story_id=576108&category=Rugby%20League

May be a difficult task to keep Albert at Parra... I hope he doesn't end up at Manly!

hineyrulz

Post Whore
He sounds like a awesome talent, let's hope he decides to stick with us. Especially when you consider grub's like the Goosters and Manly hovering.

caylo

Bench
How many articles do you see like this, and never see the player again though. He has a long two years ahead of him, and 16-18 young teenager, are you serious, the world can go wrong... still a long way, expecially for a playmaker

Utey

Coach
caylo said:
How many articles do you see like this, and never see the player again though. He has a long two years ahead of him, and 16-18 young teenager, are you serious, the world can go wrong... still a long way, expecially for a playmaker

True, but boy oh boy can this kid play.

MrT

Juniors
He's as good as gone. Roosters will offer top money for him. It makes me sick to hear that he's staying at Parra because they have great junior set up and will then decide where he'll go from there. I'm from old school, if we're good enough for him now we're good enough in the future. If he doesn't sign long term, on your bike.
Why should we spend our money for his development and then another club buys him and he plays 1st grade there and Parra gets SQUAT!!!!!!!!!!

MrT

Juniors
parra pete said:
Why wouldn't he stay an Eel...Don't be so negative!!!

If the place is that good and he loves it that much, why wouldn't he sign the 4 year deal?

$$ yes, I bet Parra offered a fair deal too

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
parra pete said:
Why wouldn't he stay an Eel...Don't be so negative!!!

negativity..........

you mean as in some people's opinions of Tim Smith

just calling it like it is, he's only 16 and playing in HM

nothing to get too excitied about just yet

Bigfella

Coach
You can be sure as anything we offered him a four year deal on low money to try to stictch him up long term.

He and his manager/grandfather have said, we're happy here, but we'll sign short term deals and see what we can do.

They know there is interest but they want to maximise their income. HIf he ruins his knee or does a serious keck injury 3/1/2 years into our 4 year deal he probably has nothing to show for it.

Relax guys. we have the inside running if he's at our club. If players are good, other clubs will chase them.

It's a lot better than no-one being interested in our kids...

Stagger eel

Staff member
I actually thought he was tied up for a few years but obviously not. You can bet your bottom doller that scumbags like Manly and the Roosters will make it diificult for this kid to refuse their offer, whatever it is.

parra pete

Referee
Twiz,
Tim Smith had one good game...and it was good..but he is not out of the woods in my eyes just yet...
If he keeps taking on the line he will improve his game that's for sure, and could become a player of NRL standard..no better, no worse.
Remember though 'One swallow does not make a mouthful.' He needs to do it consistently.....

cardinal

Juniors
parra pete said:
Twiz,
Tim Smith had one good game...and it was good..but he is not out of the woods in my eyes just yet...
If he keeps taking on the line he will improve his game that's for sure, and could become a player of NRL standard..no better, no worse.
Remember though 'One swallow does not make a mouthful.' He needs to do it consistently.....

Check the dally m points pete, he is sitting on 6 that means more than ONE good game:D

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
parra pete said:
Twiz,

I'm not disputing that PP, and I'm not making this about Timmy.

I'm not on the Tim Smith bandwagon just yet either, he's still got a bit of work to do imo.

Its about the so called negativity you mentioned, and you've been very negative about Timmy and I thought your comments regarding negativity were rather ironic.

I wasn't negative about Kelly, I just said it was premature to build him up just yet, just calling it as I see it.

Stagger eel

Staff member
just on Albert kelly, anyone that knows their footballers at that level well would tell you he's the hottest prospect going around, but we're never going to avoide the leach's out there...the only way to counteract what other clubs are doing is to simply do it back..

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
why would we do that when our juniors are better than theirs

there's a reason why they all want to poach our juniors

Bigfella

Coach
Pete you may not be convinced about tim ... fair enough.

But what about some of the replacements you touted for him over the last 6-12 months- Shifty Sherwin - Reserve Grade. Josh Lewis - Reserve Grade. Brett Finch - should be!

You are an outstanding judge of a reserve grader, I will give you that!

Michael Lett looks to have a long and distinguished career in the Scooby Doos now you have put the PP kiss of death on him!

:lol:

Stagger eel

Staff member
Twizzle said:
why would we do that when our juniors are better than theirs

there's a reason why they all want to poach our juniors

well not everyone of our juniors are going to make it and that's why we have a team of scouts that include Rod Reddy and Grant Jones to go out for them from non-NRL clubs and if they have to? hand pick them and poach them from other NRL clubs.

Just to put it in perspective we signed 4 juniors from other clubs last year that are part of our flegg squad, they are Jonathon Wright [Newcastle], Kyle Schuster [Penrith], Jay Hemming [Manly] and James Grehan [St George]

parra pete

Referee
Bigfella said:
Pete you may not be convinced about tim ... fair enough.

But what about some of the replacements you touted for him over the last 6-12 months- Shifty Sherwin - Reserve Grade. Josh Lewis - Reserve Grade. Brett Finch - should be!

You are an outstanding judge of a reserve grader, I will give you that!

Michael Lett looks to have a long and distinguished career in the Scooby Doos now you have put the PP kiss of death on him!

:lol:

Classic sledge. Good onya. :lol: I probably deserved it...:lol: Good fun!
Yep, I am a BIG fan of Josh and Shifty...both are good players in my eyes. I wouldn't be concerned if T Smith went to Bronco's and we got either Lewis or Sherwin as a replacement.
Mick Lett will prove himself in the NRL THIS year - if he gets a chance..
But, I'll admit, I haven't seen him play for a while.
Artie Beetson has a huge wwrap on Mick..and I think Arthur is a good judge. Size may go against him, but Merritt gets across the line fairly often and he not a big bloke

Stagger eel

Staff member
Pete, Mick Lett hasn't exactly set the world allight in PL possably because he may be playing out of position but I did expect more from him.

in a full strenth line up he has atleast INU, Reddy and Taulima in front of him to play firstgrade..imo.

Latest posts