What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alcohol summit to sober up NRL

God-King Dean

Immortal
Why should a club have to pay for one of their players getting drunk & acting like a dick? They're not children.

Ali's Choice

Juniors
Are you a total f**kwit?

*They know theres a problem.
*Spending money on PR/damage control is not wasting money

No need for personal insults.

So we both agree there is a problem. ANd we both agree that this is money well spent by the NRL. Great.

I'm so very happy to see the NRL being proactive about this.

russ13

First Grade
Ali was alcohol involved with those dozen of so All Blacks who have faced criminal charges in the last five years in NZ?

In the last five years there would have been over 1000 who have played in the NRL & I suppose 50 All Blacks over the same period. That's something like 20% whereas the NRL rate would be 1% or 2%,

What's the specific problem over there if it's not alcohol?

Ali's Choice

Juniors
Ali was alcohol involved with those dozen of so All Blacks who have faced criminal charges in the last five years in NZ?

In the last five years there would have been over 1000 who have played in the NRL & I suppose 50 All Blacks over the same period. That's something like 20% whereas the NRL rate would be 1% or 2%,

I agree that there have been significant alcohol related issues in other sports. Rugby certainly has had its fair share of issues. I'm not sure what that has to do with the article in the oppenning post of this thread though?

Fortunately David Gallop is being proactive about this issue, and unlike you isn't simply pointing out the flaws/issues found in other sports.

butchmcdick

Post Whore

WTF have the all blacks go to do with NRL players behavior ?

Who gives a sh*t if the All Blacks are a mob of pissheads ? Stop attempting to deflect blame for the behavior of some NRL players when they get drunk by trying to compare it to other codes. Stop the excuses

adamkungl

Immortal
"The ADF will then recommend a code that will dictate minimum standards for service of alcohol at all NRL functions and games, as well as social events like Mad Monday."

:lol: "standards" at Mad Monday? It isn't an official event. If 'Mad Monday' becomes watered down, the players will just call it something else and do the same thing. And why shouldn't they be able to celebrate the seasons end

ByRd

First Grade
"The ADF will then recommend a code that will dictate minimum standards for service of alcohol at all NRL functions and games, as well as social events like Mad Monday."

:lol: "standards" at Mad Monday? It isn't an official event. If 'Mad Monday' becomes watered down, the players will just call it something else and do the same thing. And why shouldn't they be able to celebrate the seasons end
agreed, standards at mad monday :lol::lol: why shouldnt the players be able to enjoy themselves at the end of the year

PR is never a waste of money.

It is when there is a vast difference between the words and the actions.

In the case of alcohol, the NRL can help educate the players on the risks involved, but its unrealistic to expect it to be eliminated. Biggest thing they need to learn is don't make a knob of yourself to the extent that other people are affected. Biggest lesson would come from a few careers destroyed by someone being a pissed f**kwit and with no other club picking up the pieces.

I saw a bunch of pissed guys at the pub acting like tools the other night. When I demanded what club they played for they claimed they didn't. I fear this social problem may be extending beyond the NRL now, and the players claim they aren't role models.

WTF have the all blacks go to do with NRL players behavior ?

Who gives a sh*t if the All Blacks are a mob of pissheads ? Stop attempting to deflect blame for the behavior of some NRL players when they get drunk by trying to compare it to other codes. Stop the excuses

I love this defence of the players - we might be bad but they're worse. Its like primary school.

Bottom line is that there are many young guys who are dickheads on the piss. Some of these happen to play sport well. Drinking to excess is almost certainly not good for them in striving to be the best they can be in their sport. Whether the % of dickheads who happen to be good at sport is more, less or the same as the population generally, who knows? Whether there are more or less dickheads as a % of NRL players vs other sports, who knows? There is a public perception that there is, right or wrong, and the NRL can only act on things within its control to address this perception. It can't make the NZRU or AFL make its players behave. It can't control media coverage of things that drunken dickheads do. Rugby league is the sport that is being damaged by the perceptions of player behaviour - fair or not, thats how it is. It needs to act in its own best interests - nobody else will.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It is a cultural thing, as much Australian as RL. HAvign siad that I've worked in industries where drinking or evidence of drinking isn;t allowed and if youw ant the job you adhere to the policies.

As longa s the NRL and clubs are enfprcing a cutlure of responsibility then it become a personal responsibility. Want to earn hunderds of thousands of $'s and be semi famous? Don;t drink and act like a d1ckhead. Act like a d1ckhead and get drunk? Find another job.

BIKER_DRAGON

Juniors
What a load of wank like that toe rag of a PM we have at the cricket yesterday with his lets stop binge drinking dribble. The joint is turning into a country full of bible bashing tea totler androtop wowsers.

butchmcdick

Post Whore
I saw a bunch of pissed guys at the pub acting like tools the other night. When I demanded what club they played for they claimed they didn't. I fear this social problem may be extending beyond the NRL now, and the players claim they aren't role models.

Well seeing as this is about NRL players getting pissed this has nothing to do with the subject does it.

Ali's Choice

Juniors
What a load of wank like that toe rag of a PM we have at the cricket yesterday with his lets stop binge drinking dribble. The joint is turning into a country full of bible bashing tea totler androtop wowsers.

Not sure how you relate an NRL campaign trying to encourage responsible drinking amongst players with bible bashing and being a "androtop".

Like I said earlier, I'm so happy to see that Gallop and his board are finally taking this issue seriously. So very, very happy.

Latest posts