What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alex Glenn

Dazzat

First Grade
Just wondering about Alex Glenn. Why wasn't he picked in the NZ team? Is he injured?

Dazzat

First Grade
OK ... so he's injured. Because I thought it interesting that Steve Kearney didn't pick Glenn for New Zealand despite working with him at the Broncos.

Glenn is one of those players who has great statistics on paper, but doesn't really stand out during a game - like rugby league wallpaper.

I must admit, I was getting ready to plumb for the club to off-load him, but he was actually our third best metre-eater during the year, and a fair tackler.

Let's hope Bennett can inspire Glenn back to his form of a couple of years ago.

Kiwi

First Grade
I think Glenn played in a role that helped the team most, he comes across as that sort of player, he did hard yards, made plenty of cover tackles and played himself to a stand still most of the time. I stood up for Glenn all year and hopefully under Bennett we'll see a better game plan and a style better suited to our players skill sets and Glenn will be able to play his natural wide running game again.

Toshiba

Juniors
Wasted if he isn't used out wide. Reminds me of David Barnhill but without the great offloads after bending the line.

League guru

Juniors
I remember Glenn playing centre for Burleigh Bears and was a good centre too. The same with Gillette who played 6 at Norths. Both now beefed up stereotype second rowers. That's one of the problems with the NRL, players are having their footie ability coached out of them.

Dazzat

First Grade
Story in the Courier today saying Benny is putting the heat on Glenn.

He was one of Griffin's blue-eyed boys from the Under 20s days and looked to be on cruise control last year.

With a crop of young forwards coming through he needs to aim up. Hopefully Benny will make it uncomfortable for anyone who isn't pulling their weight this year.

The Courier Mail also picked up on the thread I mention above - Kearney didn't pick Glenn in the NZ team.

Only the insiders at the club would know of the reported factions last year. I just get the impression there were "Griffin's favourites" and the others.

gUt

Coach
Glenn has that David Stagg type utility player build imo. Not quite big enough to be an effective backrower, not quite fast enough to be a back, not quite skillful enough to play hooker.

I do like him as a player as he rarely lets the team down but it's hard to pinpoint what difference he makes to a team win.

Dazzat

First Grade
Yes, throw in Todd Lowrie and we have plenty of mediocrity to pick from.

Gillett, Thaiday and hopefully Oates have some impact.

Bennett is also looking at Whitchurch for the backrow as well.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
I think Glenn cops a bit too much flack as he is not a flashy player.

For me he does a good job and his 2014 wasn't even that bad, certainly no worse than Thaiday and to a less extent Gillett.

Our whole backrow needs to pick it up for mine.

Kiwi

First Grade
Glenn is very under rated most of the time. His workload last year was exceptional, he helped carried the burden of a poor front row rotation and did alot of hard yards for the team. He carried that backrow for most of 2014 and all the thanks he gets is made a scape goat for the guys he carried by fans.

Latest posts