What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alex McKinnon possibly Quadriplegic - Mclean guilty of dangerous throw - 7 weeks

How many weeks?

• 1-2

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • 3-4

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • 5-6

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 7-8

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 9+

Votes: 26 21.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

typicalfan

Coach
Last I'm going to comment on this whole issue.

The denial of visitation would have been 100% at the request of the family. As if the Knights have any say as to who does or does not visit their son in hospital.

Cameron Smith has had over 12 months to get in contact with Alex McKinnon. McLean was denied the opportunity to speak or communicate with Alex, yet still managed to find a way. Smith could not be arsed.

Anyway, I just hope McKinnon gets all the money and support he needs.

And f*ck Cameron Smith.

You create imaginary scenarios for yourself and that is totally up to you. Of course the Knights don't but I would imagine that they would be the link between the Storm and Alex.

You or I don't know what Cam Smith tried to do it is all speculation. Therefore any outrage based on this is outrage based on speculation.

Cameron Smith isn't the bad guy in the life of Alex. He isn't what is between him and living the life he wants to lead.

ek999

First Grade
The public sentiment is behind him in regards to how he was treated in the story, but I haven't seen any support for what he actually said on the night

typicalfan

Coach
Because most people acknowledge what he said on the night was an error of judgement. But when current and former players are saying Cameron should have been at least afforded a reply on the night it speaks volumes imo.

Danish

Referee
I'd be interested to know what his right to reply would include, and what weak sauce excuses he'd try to give to defend his scum behaviour.

Of course Smith could have done this at any point from Sunday to today by fronting the media about the issue, but he has instead gone into hiding.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Because most people acknowledge what he said on the night was an error of judgement. But when current and former players are saying Cameron should have been at least afforded a reply on the night it speaks volumes imo.

I've made it clear I'm no Cameron Smith fan but of course he's entitled to a right of reply. The scummy state of modern media ensured he didn't.

It would be f**king brilliant if the whole QLD side stood up to Nien tomorrow night and none of them said a word at any stage in the coverage. Not Mal, not Kevin Walters, not the team, not even to Locky at fulltime.

To air this story 4 days out from the decider of what is arguably the showpiece of our game, slandering the captain of Queensland with no right of reply, is just f**king not on. It's disgusting to use a McKinnon phrase. What are they hoping to achieve, more viewers to tune in and see how Cam Smith reacts?

Have some balls Dave Smith and award the rights to someone who will not necessarily sugar-coat the game, but not drive it into the gutter at any opportunity. We can't control some of the deadset antics of the players but we can control the host broadcaster. Give it to 10, their coverage of the Big Bash was outstanding - lavish in praise when it needed to be, critical as well.

typicalfan

Coach
What makes it worse is that it makes some people see Alex in a bad light. They see it now as a grab for the spotlight for attacking Smith when it should be about him. Alex deserved better than that gutter trash.

I mean this was probably the easiest story to tell for ratings but still came out of it looking like dirty salespeople.

Slammin

Juniors
Watch the footage again. I guarantee you that if McKinnon doesn't suffer the injury that he did, then nothing more would be said about this tackle. The only reason why people are all up in arms about the tackle is because the bloke got injured! People have a hard time facing reality because they can't seem to fathom that accident's happen and that a person can contribute to their own injury; there always has to be someone else to blame! This has become a case of emotion and sentiment overshadow the truth and reality. The consequence has been that a legend of the game and one of the finest players of the game has had his reputation tarnished.

Also, what also gives me the shits is this suggestion that Alex has a right to be angry. Yes the bloke does have a right to be angry. What happened to him was tragic. However, it DOES NOT give him the right to come out and slaughters everyone. He is a quadriplegic, not a saint. I think its also important that before he comes and blames everyone, he should think about others who are in a worse predicament than him and have no chance of ever walking again or worse, have lost their lives (e.g. Phil Hughes). It may sound harsh but the guy needs to accept that what happened was an accident and that there is no one to blame for it. Its unfortunate but that is reality!

Whilst it shits me 60 minutes has started their campaign against Cameron Smith I will always give Alex and people in similar positions a pass.

He's a quadriplegic and recovery, particularly the mental side, is a very long battle. Just because this is a game of footy he can easily come out with PTSD much like our soldiers coming home with lost legs, arms, eyesight. They can be angry at anyone, it is a mental game. So I think we defintely need to leave Alex alone for his comments on 60 minutes. I don't blame him for this attack on Cameron Smith.

ek999

First Grade
[YouTube]GC1CCzBJDnE[/youtube]

Watching this again and I noticed that for the other penalties that were given for lifting tackles, neither captain complained about them and Smith didn't appeal for a penalty for the two unpunished ones even though he was at dummy half for both of them. Why Smith chose to try and argue against that one is beyond me.

Last edited:

DiegoNT

First Grade
Watching this again and I noticed that for the other penalties that were given for lifting tackles, neither captain complained about them and Smith didn't appeal for a penalty for the two unpunished ones even though he was at dummy half for both of them. Why Smith chose to try and argue against that one is beyond me.

Wow, what a merkin he is for leaving his teammates out to dry

Noa

First Grade

If you can't work that out then life must be a struggle for you.

gUt

Coach
I'd be interested to know what his right to reply would include, and what weak sauce excuses he'd try to give to defend his scum behaviour.

Of course Smith could have done this at any point from Sunday to today by fronting the media about the issue, but he has instead gone into hiding.

Why would he dance just because people that already hate him want him to? What difference would it make to anything? As already demonstrated 100 times in this thread, if he comes out and says anything now it will be "just because of the 60 mins story".

LESStar58

Referee
I've made it clear I'm no Cameron Smith fan but of course he's entitled to a right of reply. The scummy state of modern media ensured he didn't.

It would be f**king brilliant if the whole QLD side stood up to Nien tomorrow night and none of them said a word at any stage in the coverage. Not Mal, not Kevin Walters, not the team, not even to Locky at fulltime.

To air this story 4 days out from the decider of what is arguably the showpiece of our game, slandering the captain of Queensland with no right of reply, is just f**king not on. It's disgusting to use a McKinnon phrase. What are they hoping to achieve, more viewers to tune in and see how Cam Smith reacts?

Have some balls Dave Smith and award the rights to someone who will not necessarily sugar-coat the game, but not drive it into the gutter at any opportunity. We can't control some of the deadset antics of the players but we can control the host broadcaster. Give it to 10, their coverage of the Big Bash was outstanding - lavish in praise when it needed to be, critical as well.

mate, if the NRL was on 7 or 10 we'd cop it even worse.

either way we're f**ked.

But i agree with the majority of your post besides.

afinalsin666

First Grade

This was just after the rule was introduced that you couldn't talk to the ref unless it was a break in play, and it was heavily enforced, as most early season focuses are. In hindsight i should have included it, or some mention of it, but i'm wracking my brain how to add such detail to a simple video without voice over.

Here's some more context, Kurt Gidley was essentially told to f**k off earlier in the match, about 30 seconds before Scott on Hampton, when he was blown offside by Mahe Fonua and he tried talking to the ref. Smith is nothing if not a diplomat, so he probably knew arguing for these earlier ones would be pointless, because the ref would just tell him to go away.

That's what makes this even more annoying, the rule specifically disallowed any contact with the referees unless it was a scrum, or a player was injured. There was literally no other time for Cameron Smith to air his thoughts thanks to the rule. It was then or never, because you couldn't approach the referees.

Apey

Staff member
It was an 'illegal' tackle because he tucked his head and rolled over. I guarantee you that if McKinnon does not tuck his head and roll over, then this whole incident doesn't happen.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: they didn't lift him above the horizontal! McKinnon lifted himself past the horizontal by diving over!

Cam this is getting f**king ridiculous now mate. Don't you have better things to do than post on LU?

All the clowns complaining about 60 minutes and watched it even though spoiler alerts everywhere pretty much told the outcome and smith was under fire!

Channel 9 says hi and thanks for the ratings!

afinalsin666

First Grade
Also, there was this floating around the year before. I debated putting it in, but i figured it would muddy the message a fair bit, so i left it out.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-toovey-comments/story-fni3fh9n-1226700942599

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8676001

The general sentiment toward the end of the 2013 season was that it was possible players were contributing to dangerous tackles to secure a penalty. I remember several threads here with the same theme, but i can't find them. So Smith could have argued that with those tackles already in mind. Obviously the outcomes were different, but Woz and Brandy said much the same thing right away.

The difference is they had 8 minutes to clarify their opinions, and look at it in a different light. Smith had 31 seconds, and i'm honestly surprised he got as much across as he did in that timeframe. Take only the first 30 seconds of audio from the commentators, and you'll get a very similar message to the one Cameron Smith had.

afinalsin666

First Grade
So he got one chance and f**ked it up?

I'd say that's pretty much spot on. If he had a minute or two to talk through it, i'd imagine we'd leave feeling very different about it, considering the commentators did have the same sentiments and then clarified and sharpened their viewpoints throughout the entire ordeal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts