What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All Golds Tour

ozbash

Referee
Some would say Wayne Bennett is the games greatest coach.

Personally, i like benny but greatest coach ??

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Will pose a question i don't know the answer too

What will the makeup of the Northern union side be ? Will it be a best of the rest type side from the players who miss the GB squad ?

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Chase Stanley needs to be courted - I know he is young but somebody, right know this would be lowey or Williams need to go talk to him and his family about the end of year tour.
He is young - but right know he would make our squad based both on form and talent not just in a bid to get him before the aussies.

Possibly we could include him in the all golds tour and/or the Maori rep side which will not force him to make a decision, though it could it help him the make the right choice.

Born and bred in Oz, but clearly a staunchly kiwi family.

Also, another player they should keep an eye on is Eels - youngster, Weller Hauraki, only played a couple of FG games but is on the bench this weekend and has been impressive of what i've seen of him and he made the NSW residents - a Premier League rep side.
Again could play for the Maori side.

Micistm

Bench
After all the rubbish this week I feel a bit flat about this now...it'll probably change once it's underway and I'll be hyped for it. But I just think 'meh' at the moment. I too like Bennett, but it was a real shock when Bluey wasn't named Coach. Yet another NZRL moment. I'll get over it!!!!! ;-)

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Beavers Headgear said:
This bloody thing is cursed

Johns, career ending injury
Lockyer, season ending injury
So who is the Aussie now?David Simmons?Is Benny still going to be involved without Locky?

MarkW

Juniors
What about Fittler? His name has been bandied about.
At least he has less chance of getting injured beofre the match...

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I will probably get sprayed here, but i hope it is not Steve Price

NZ are very very strong in the forwards and cover prop easily with Cayless Bros, Rapira, Asotasi, Palea'aesina etc, i would rather see a playmaker, Fittler or Thurston, running off our pack and creating for the outside back.

Marshall/Thurston of Fittler/Jones would be awesome to see running around in the halves

Iafeta

Referee
1 Brent Webb
2 Chase Stanley
3 Greg Inglis
4 Ma'a Nonu
5 Manu Vatuvei
6 Benji Marshall
7 Stacey Jones
8 Sam Rapira
9 Cameron Smith
10 Roy Asotasi
11 Ruben Wiki
12 Epalahame Lauaki
13 Sonny Bill Williams

Bench

Isaac Luke
Nathan Cayless
Iafeta Paleaaesina
Bronson Harrison

Is it 6 men bench as below?

If so add Adam Blair
Piri Weepu

Revelation 3:20

Juniors
1 Brent Webb
2 Chase Stanley
3 N.Vagana
4 Ma'a Nonu
5 Krishin Inu
6 Rangi Chase
7 Stacey Jones
8 Steve Price
9 Cameron Smith
10 Ruben Wiki
11 Logan Swann
12 Harrison Hanson
13 Sonny Bill Williams

Bench
Isaac Luke
L.Anderson
Roy Asotasi
Bronson Harrison
Adam Blair
Piri Weepu

ozbash

Referee
Dumped All Blacks Piri Weepu and Ma'a Nonu have been approached by the New Zealand Rugby League to play for the "All Golds" in the end-of-season commemorative test against a Northern Union selection - a move the NZRL hope will lead to a permanent switch of codes.
After both players missed out on selection for the All Blacks squad for the rugby World Cup, the prospect of representing the Kiwis in next year's centenary rugby league World Cup may entice Weepu and Nonu to return to the code they grew up playing.

Both have previously expressed a desire to play in the NRL, but the lure of the All Blacks jersey had proved a powerful deterrent.

Weepu's shock omission from the 29-man All Blacks squad announced on Sunday has sparked speculation that the 23-year-old Hurricanes halfback will seek a release from the remaining year of his New Zealand Rugby Union contract to play league - and Nonu is even more strongly tipped to switch codes.

Weepu grew up in the Wellington league stronghold of Wainuiomata and was destined to wear the Kiwis No 7 jersey until he attended an rugby college in Hawke's Bay and excelled in the sport.

The NZRU had hoped to satisfy his interest in league when they allowed him to train with the Newcastle Knights during the off-season, but Weepu's snubbing may now be the catalyst for him to cross codes permanently.

The Sharks, Dragons, Knights and Storm have all previously expressed interest in Weepu, with Knights operations manager Stephen Crowe telling the Dominion Post yesterday that Weepu's signing would be a coup for the club.

"We're certainly interested in talking to quality players at any time," Crowe said.

"I haven't followed his rugby form in New Zealand all that closely but I'm surprised he wasn't selected for the World Cup.

"Our problem would be, as is the case with other NRL clubs, salary cap restrictions."

A code switch to the NRL would probably mean Weepu takes a hefty pay cut to fit under a club's salary cap, which is $A4 million ($NZ4.48 million) a season.

England's big-spending Super League clubs, who have attracted a string of NRL players this year including Kangaroos test player Matt King, may appeal more.

But Crowe hoped Weepu would consider Newcastle strongly.

"I know he enjoyed his time here and certainly, if he was interested in playing NRL, I'd certainly hope he'd consider talking to us," he said.

"I think he enjoyed himself, he picked up a few things that he took back home and we certainly appreciated his time with us and I know Andrew Johns in particular, enjoyed working with him.

"If he was happy to look at a career in the NRL then we'd be happy to talk to him but I don't think we'd be any more proactive than that."

One aspect in the NRL's favour is the fact that Weepu's cousin, Wiremu Weepu, plays for Penrith, while rookie Brisbane hooker John Te Reo is another childhood friend.

It is understood that Weepu - who has a long passing game that has been compared to Ricky Stuart's and can kick off both feet - would want to play halfback or five-eighth in league.

Former All Blacks coach John Hart, now director of football with the Warriors, told the Sydney Morning Herald last week that league would always struggle to keep elite juniors such as Weepu if the NZRU wanted them for their code. However, if their rugby careers went backwards, they might look to the NRL.

"Once the Piri Weepus get to provincial standard, they want to play for the All Blacks, but he's always talked about league," Hart said.

"He's got a league background and maybe some of those guys once they've reached their peak in rugby or have achieved their goals in rugby, they may see league as another journey."

The NZRU deals with requests for early releases on a case-by-case basis and the SMH understands that Weepu would have a big chance of success if he demanded one, with young union halfbacks Brendon Leonard, Andrew Ellis and Jimmy Cowan already under contracts.

But those who know Weepu also say he is extremely competitive and he may remain in at home to regain his standing in union.

The NZRL has issued informal invitations within the past 48 hours to both Weepu and Nonu - who can play fullback, wing or centre - to feature in the historic one-off Test against Northern Union at Warrington on October 20, the same day as the rugby World Cup final.

www.stuff.co.nz

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Get them playing league - good idea.

Inglis - nice choice - Clive Churchill medal I reckon this year.

Why is everyone picking Chase Stanley. Pretty raw still and have only seen him pop 1 good pass and that was last week, then he gives away a try in the same game.

Tame tupou sh*ts all over him and is tearing it up in the UK

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
RHYTHM AND STEALTH said:
Why is everyone picking Chase Stanley. Pretty raw still and have only seen him pop 1 good pass and that was last week, then he gives away a try in the same game.

Tame tupou sh*ts all over him and is tearing it up in the UK

Im actually a big fan of Tupou and have been for a while - physically and athletically he is potentially one of the best wingers in the world.
Not sure ESL was the right move - for somebody wanting to develop and stay in their prime etc.
But aslong as he carving up and more importantly is in prime shape then he would walk into my squad - though most of these squad were excluding ESL players.
Think he's at least equal to Manu Vatuvai just had less opportunities, think he would actually be better.

The reason everybody is picking Chase Stanley is b'coz he still goes to school(or just finished)and he's playing like he a seasoned NRL pro. He is close to rookier of the year, gonna be a nrl and rep star - whether it is Australia or New Zealand.
Its called development - but he that good that he would gain a test start somewhere on the tour.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
So Price has been confirmed, but they are still looking for a Lockyer replacement

Am still hopeful of getting a quality halve, will be annoyed if Price on his own is the bloke we end up with