What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All i want for xmas

dragoncountry

Juniors
please mr bennett, can you tell your halves to use your number one centre a bit more.
while im not a gasnier fan he may as well be not out there.
we had a golden opportunity on friday night to run rings around matt utai, we have no vision? we are very negative, attack boys when in front, #%*^ the goals ,score tries and and be confident.
sorry guys thats my rant for the week.:crazy:

cliffordg

Juniors
yeh needed to give him much more room on friday nite with a sweeping run his way to get him one on one. he was beating uatai everytime but he didnt have the room as cover was always there.

gypsy

Bench
Good thread.
I have been saying this for weeks and weeks. People that have criticised Gasnier for his form this year, clearly have no idea about footy.

Everytime he gets decent ball, he looks dangerous. Beau Scott again was in the way a lot of the time on Friday night. Scott needs to play flatter, run through the line as a flat option.

Soward needs to realise he doesn't need to create for Gaz. One thing Barrett was good at, was just giving him the bloody ball early.

Breathingfire

Juniors
Soward needs to realise he doesn't need to create for Gaz. One thing Barrett was good at, was just giving him the bloody ball early.

Totally disagree. You give him the ball early and he runs at a set defence. He beat Utai a number of times the other night only for the other players defending around Utai to make the cover tackles. If Soward can take the ball to the line he can get those 'cover' defenders interested and all of the sudden Gaz beats his opposite and is away. Even if Soward doesn't necessarily pass each time, by taking the line on it will keep the defence second guessing. Why do you think Boyd smashed Gaz in the origin??? Because he knew Soward was just going to dish off early and he was easy pickings. The only time you would just dish off to Gaz is when we are 10m out from our own line because he can carry a clutching Utai and the cover defence over the line. Instead we give him a run from 50-30 out. Why??? I don't know.

gypsy

Bench
Totally disagree. You give him the ball early and he runs at a set defence. He beat Utai a number of times the other night only for the other players defending around Utai to make the cover tackles. If Soward can take the ball to the line he can get those 'cover' defenders interested and all of the sudden Gaz beats his opposite and is away. Even if Soward doesn't necessarily pass each time, by taking the line on it will keep the defence second guessing. Why do you think Boyd smashed Gaz in the origin??? Because he knew Soward was just going to dish off early and he was easy pickings. The only time you would just dish off to Gaz is when we are 10m out from our own line because he can carry a clutching Utai and the cover defence over the line. Instead we give him a run from 50-30 out. Why??? I don't know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iizZzEbkmbw

You need to watch this :)

Gaz has the ability to get a defender to plant both feet when one on one, and getting early ball. He uses his acceleration and speed off the mark to get to the outside of the defender, and strength to bust through.

End of argument.

TheRev

Coach
Its nothing to do with whether we go left or right, we didnt give ourselves enough opportunities to score points, due to poor execution and errors.

Take away even half of the poor early tackle options and flat out dropped ball, and we would have had another 10 minutes of attack in good field position, and a chance for Gasnier or Cooper to score points (both are capable). Out of an 80 minute game, thats 10 more minutes of our ball, instead of 10 minutes defence.

Most of you make it sound like we have been camped on an oppositions goal-line, and unable to crack them.. its been nothing like that. Granted the kicking game when we do get there, has also been terrible, so we arent seeing repeat sets.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
That was the case on Friday. In the second half we simply couldn't get down their end of the field. Goes without saying that spreading it offers nothing without that go forward.

redvwhite

Juniors
That was the case on Friday. In the second half we simply couldn't get down their end of the field. Goes without saying that spreading it offers nothing without that go forward.

I'm pretty sure we got there on numerous occasions but threw it away pretty much every time. Almost in a panicky way and plain sloppiness I haven't seen from this club for a while. Had we held the ball and its very likely we wouldn't be heading to Brisbane this coming weekend.

gypsy

Bench
Totally disagree. You give him the ball early and he runs at a set defence

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX1Y-ogZfXQ

Another video, take note of the following times in the video,
where he is no better than 2 on 2 against the opposition, and the early ball he gets:
0:20, 1:54 (awesome), 3:25, 4:30, 5:37, 6:15 (Baz just passing it!!), 6:19, 6:27 (pretty set defensive line to me), 6:38 (pretty special), 7:35, 8:00, 8:13 (my favourite, Soward passing early!!)

Watch and enjoy!!

No need for the arrogant prick comment, just think people needed reminding we have a guy who can create something from nothing.

You needed more convincing Breathingfire, that'd be it!

Last edited:

STG-Dragon

Juniors
It's simple our forwards need to turn up and get us meters up the middle, this was lacking big time on Fri night. The better roll on we get the better our kicking game and back line movements will be. This will be even harder this week as the Bronco's have tougher and bigger forwards, we are very fortunate Thaiday is not playing, he causes us a lot of problems due to his aggression.

Last edited:

Breathingfire

Juniors
They are both right centres, and will be on opposite sides of the field.

I only called you arrogant because you said 'end of argument'. I shouldn't have called you a prick. I am not saying that Gaz can't or never has broken the line with early ball but i understand the fundamentals of the game and have watched players like Daley, Walters and lockyer and they all take the ball to the line and ask questions of the defence. It makes life a lot easier for their outside backs when the defence is compressed because there is a threat on the inside. It just seems logical to me that a defence would have less time to slide at the advantage line then from 10-15m away from the ball carrier. As far as i'm concerned we gave Gaz early ball and he beat Utai but nothing came of it. If i was the coach i would have told them to put the sweeper in the rack and give Gaz the ball when we are inside our 10 and watch him drag the lot of them over the line. They didn't try it once. Agree with Willow though, the go forward was off and even though we had a couple of chances in their 20 it wasn't really off the back of a good roll on with quick play-of-balls and unfortunately field position is useless if you aren't working the defence around and forcing them back.

Last edited:

gypsy

Bench
I only called you arrogant because you said 'end of argument'. I didn't know a difference of opinion was an argument. I am not saying that Gaz can't or never has broken the line with early ball but i understand the fundamentals of the game and have watched players like Daley, Walters and lockyer and they all take the ball to the line and ask questions of the defence. It makes life a lot easier for their outside backs when the defence is compressed because there is a threat on the inside. It just seems logical to me that a defence would have to less time to slide at the advantage line then from 10-15m away from the ball carrier.

You're missing it.

Gasnier needs time. Time to play before the line, time to get the defender to plant his feet and get to an outside shoulder. He is not a hole runner like the centres of old.

He doesn't need Soward or Hornby to put him into gaps. He just needs time, as the endless examples show. He can draw a centre wide, and turn the ball inside...he can attract the centre and winger, and flick it to Nighty, he can beat them cold with footwork and strength. I showed you example after example of two on two situations, where nothing is happening.

Just feed him. Simple.

Last edited:

blacklock

Juniors
our issues are 3 parts.

a) silly errors to hand over possession

b) lack of hard running by forwards to bend back the other team

and

c) a lackluster kicking game. we tend to like to dab kicks for field position, whereas a lockyer will do a midfield bomb for field position AND attack (from way out). Also we apparently are afraid of bombing it near the posts as other teams do to make conversion easier. This is in addition to our grubbers just not staying in the field for us this season. In which case....put a midrange/high bomb when close to the line, get people under it to either force an error or get a try!

I remember back in the day when alan langer would run hard against the line and do the most precise of grubbers for himself and score. Jamie has that same form factor. Hes speedy and can turn on a dime. Why not back himself and try the same!

But thats where i see our issues :) fingers crossed against an awesome broncos outfit.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Yeah, I have to say that targeting Utai would have seemed to be a good idea, but I'd have to give Utai a little credit in slowing up Gasnier enough for the cavalry to arrive.

It's credit to the players defending around him (and possibly the conditioning of Folkes) that they were able to be so consistently effective.

gypsy

Bench
Yeah, I have to say that targeting Utai would have seemed to be a good idea, but I'd have to give Utai a little credit in slowing up Gasnier enough for the cavalry to arrive.

It's credit to the players defending around him (and possibly the conditioning of Folkes) that they were able to be so consistently effective.

Utai only got help because of the painfully slow service to Gasnier. 3 quick passes against a compressed defence, give him some time and space to create.

Breathingfire

Juniors
Utai only got help because of the painfully slow service to Gasnier. 3 quick passes against a compressed defence, give him some time and space to create.

Im not talking about putting him into holes. I'm talking about the 5/8 attracting defenders to take some heat off him. Thats all. When they fed him early ball in the Origin Boyd smashed him because he knew that Soward was just going to 'feed him'. You can't expect him to just get the ball and play Bullrush with the defence. You have to create options. Benji does it for Lawrence week after week after week. The defence are worried about Benji so it creates space for Lawrence. I'm not even asking Soward to pass it every time he just needs to do more with the ball to put the defence in two minds. Its the same principle as running the ball on the last to keep the wingers honest and then putting a grubber in behind on the next set. You put the defence in two minds. The other night Soward fed Gaz a number of times and did anything come of it??? Like i said earlier i'm not saying he can't break the line when 'fed' early, I just think (and its only my opinion) that he would be even MORE effective if they used tactics to get him one on one with defenders more often rather than running into a bunch of them.

Last edited:

Latest posts