What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All things Thunderbolts.

MsStorm

Bench
I saw most of the game last night and the Eagles were just too good, but we have a few injuries and they did well in the 2nd half to bridge the gap a fair bit.

Noa

First Grade
Accurate summary MsStorm.

The kids showed character in the 2nd half, especailly since most NYC teams would have folded. All the tinkering so far this year with the backline hasnt helped and its time to settle on some combos. Though in saying that there are a few players in SG Ball who will come into this side imo, namely Morseau (fb), Hampton (5/8), Tohu Harris, Mahe Fonua and Gideon, Wilson and Tonumaipea may get a run at some stage.

So we are few weeks away from being at full strength.

Noa

First Grade
1. Brayden Wiliame
2. Eddie Faamausili
3. Kirisome Auva'a
4. Slade Griffin
5. Robbie Kurth
6. Jordan Meads
7. Jake Hawkins
8. Rulon Nutira
9. James Woolford (?)
10. Mitchell Johnson
11. Sam Martin
12. Theo Stuart
13. Blake Leary (c)

14. Ryan Marlin
15. Jordan McLean
16. Kenny Bromwich
17. Josh Jerome

- 2 Vic boys on the wing
icon_biggrin.gif
- The sooner Griffin moves to lock the better
- Dane Chisholm may still come into the side(played NYC on Monday

Noa

First Grade
Really struggling to understand what Pay is trying to acheive with the NYC and am really doubting his coaching ability. He has a game winner in Dane Chisholm on the bench, uses him sparingly and when he comes on all it does is mean the backline doesnt have any rythym (even though we looked the best when he was on) with all the chopping and changing. He uses 2 simlar players in Meads and Hawkins in the halves, both good players but both a bit slow and wont threaten the line much. He has two props that were setting a great platform at the start of the year on the bench even though McLean looked the most damaging prop in the few minutes he played. He continues with Griffen in the centers even though it makes our bakline painfully slow, Slade is a great young player but he is a back-rower.

I'll give him a couple more weeks as we have Hampton, Morseau, Harris and Fonua available for selcetion so its time for Pay to settle on a team for the eyar and stop tinkering with his backline.

Personally Id go with

1. Morseau
2. Faamusili
3. Avuaa
4. Jerome
5. Wiliame
6. Chisholm - Meads if they put Dane back in NSW sup.
7. Hampton

Noa

First Grade
1. Brayden Wiliame
2. Eddie Faamausili
3. Kirisome Auva'a
4. Slade Griffin
5. Robbie Kurth
6. Jordan Meads
7. Ben Hampton
8. Rulon Nutira
9. Jake Hawkins
10. Mitchell Johnson
11. Sam Martin
12. Tohu Harris
13. Blake Leary (c)

14. James Woolford
15. Kenny Bromwich
16. Jerome Wilson
17. Jordan McLean

No Theo Stuart, Woolford on the bench (still may start), Griffin still out wide, Wiliame should be on the wing or at center, Jerome should be on the other wing.

On the positive side there is better halves balance with Hampton in the side.

Noa

First Grade
source: www.melbournestorm.com.au

A brilliant second half comeback wasn't enough for a gallant Melbourne to snatch victory in an entertaining under-20's clash with North Queensland, going down 34-30 at Dairy Farmers Stadium on Saturday.

Trailing 34-10 with just over 20 minutes left, the young Storm outfit never gave up, running in four tries to almost snatch an astonishing victory.

The Storm were left to lament a slow start against the league-leading Cowboys, surrendering two tries in the first 10 minutes on the way to a 22-10 half-time deficit.

Both sides crossed for six tries, with the goal kicking of Cowboys centre Kyle Feldt proving the difference.

Feldt had a strong night for the home side, amassing a personal tally of 18-points.

Lock Blake Leary was sensational for the Storm scoring two tries, while winger Edward Faaumausili also grabbed a double and was involved in plenty of good work.

But after three straight wins to start the season, the defending premiers have now gone five games without a win to lose further ground with the NYC top eight.

Storm coach Dean Pay was pleased with the way his team never gave up in the second half.

"We were a long way behind but the boys stuck at it and we could have won it in the end," Pay said.

"It was a much improved performance on the last few weeks.

"In saying that we let them get a couple of soft tries which in the end cost us the game.

"It's an area we really need to fix up.

"But we worked really hard tonight and we have to make sure we back it up next week."

Which is a tricky home clash against top eight side the Broncos at the new AAMI Park on Friday night.

Melbourne Storm 30
Tries: Leary 2, Faaumausili 2, Hampton, Kurth
Goals: Leary 2, Hawkins 1

North Queensland Cowboys 34
Tries: Feldt 2, Segeyaro, Ulugia, Cooper, Uhi
Goals: Feldt 5

Another loss, we came back but gave up too much of a start. More changes to the halves before and during the game which cant be helpful. Hopefully this week sees Maipele Morseu make his NYC debut, we really need a true fullback and Wiliame is better suited at center or wing.

MsStorm

Bench
Thanks for keeping us up to date with the squad.
I think we all have been so absorbed with this salary cap issue to bother with anything else of late.

I hope you are right about Morseu, he deserves to be upgraded to this squad.

The boys had a good comeback last week, and goal kicking was the dif. in the end.

Noa

First Grade
Another loss but I cant blame the young fellas, they try but there going into a gun-fight with knives. Its clear to me that Meads is a solid young half but doesnt really have the creativity to carry the team which isnt helped by the continuing selection of Wiliame at FB despite the fact he has no punch in attack or ball-playing ability, I like Wil but he should be on the wing.....................................................The sooner Pay pulls his head out of arse and selects Maipele Morseau the better, the creativity and thrust he would give the team, which is sadly lacking in it, would be enormous.................................................... As it is right now poor Benny Hampton is trying to guide the team all himself. ...........................................................................He also needs to get Slade Griffen out of the backline and inot the forwards as well, poor kids getting caught out wide with his lack of real speed and would be much better used in the back-row, I actually tihnk hé's a better player then Leary, who can be a tad selfish at times, he can play though..................sorry about the spacing, proxy server Im using condences everything.

Noa

First Grade
1. Maipele Morseu
2. Eddie Faamausili
3. Brayden Wiliame
4. Slade Griffin
5. Robbie Kurth
6. Ben Hampton
7. Josh Jerome
8. Mitchell Johson
9. Jake Hawkins
10. Jorden Mclean
11. Sam Martin
12. Tohu Harris
13. Kenny Bromwich

14. Lucan Grech
15.Kirisome Avuaa
16. Mahe Fonua - Great young prospect
17 Jerome Wilson

Awesome to see our next great fullback get a start, bit harsh on Avuaa to get dropped, he hasnt really seen any quality ball to show what he can do.

BTW anyone know whats happened with Pita Maile, with whats been happening out wide I would have thought he'd get his chance soon.

Edited the team, they must have put the team up then made some changes. Great to see Mahe Fonua in as well, for those that havent seen him pretty much the all-round package, can play back-row and center and has great skill. Interesting to see Jerome in at 7 , really showing his versatiltiy, will definately makes the halves more dangerous running the ball, but expect to see Hampton and Pele do most of the ball-playing. Team will get lot stonger now some of these talented Sg Ball kids are moving up.

Last edited:

Noa

First Grade
BTW Id have my money on Mahe Fonua to be the first home-grown Storm player.

Noa

First Grade
Lasts weeks wrap-up, first win in while

www.melbournestorm.com.au

Thunderbolts break drought

The Melbourne Thunderbolts have finally put an end to their lengthy winless streak, overcoming the Parramatta Eels 29-22 in an entertaining NYC clash in driving rain at Parramatta Stadium on Friday night.

After more than two months without a victory, the reigning premiers finally got to belt out the team song again with a gritty five tries to four victory.

Despite the deplorable conditions in Sydney, which has already led to the postponement of two NYC matches this weekend, the Thunderbolts produced some enterprising footy against the lowly Eels.

And making the victory even more significant is that they did it without influential halfback Ben Hampton for more than an hour of the match after he hobbled from the field with a leg injury early in the first half.

But the Thunderbolts didn't seem to miss a beat with lock Blake Leary and five-eighth Josh Jerome guiding the team to the valuable two competition points to keep them in touch with the NYC top eight.

It was the home side that got off to the perfect start crossing for the opening try in just the sixth minute to winger Daniel Tupou.

Deep on the attack inside the Thunderbolts 20m zone, Eels half Dan Cross put in an inch-perfect cross-field kick which landed safely in the hands of Tupou who only had to catch the ball to score.

Jaydin Tavita's brilliant sideline conversion had the young Parramatta side 6-0 in front.

But their lead lasted barely three minutes as the defending premiers responded through their skipper Leary.

The 19-year-old got himself into dummy half just a metre out from the try line and burrowed his way over for his 12th try of the season.

Leary's four-pointer has him second on the NYC try-scoring charts behind the Broncos Dale Copley. Jerome's conversion levelled the scores.

The Thunderbolts then took the lead six minutes later through a lovely backline move.

Hampton noticed an overlap on the right-hand side and the Melbourne youngster's worked the ball through the hands with Eddie Faamausili finishing it off in the corner.

Jerome made no mistake again to make the score 12-6.

It wasn't all good news for Dean Pay's side as Hampton was helped off the field soon after with his leg injury but it still didn't stop the Thunderbolts from extending their lead.

Leary was again involved, running the ball close to the line and despite the attention of three Eels defenders, somehow offloaded to prop Mitchel Johnson to dive over from close range.

It was a particularly sweet try for Johnson, who started the season with the Eels NYC squad before moving to Melbourne.

When Jerome converted again the Thunderbolts had a comfortable 18-6 lead.

But a lapse in concentration either side of the break allowed the home side to cross for two tries to David Thomas (34th minute) and Ken Sio (43rd) to bring the scores level.

It took a superb try to Kenny Bromwich in the 49th minute for the Thunderbolts to regain the lead before Tohu Harris found a hole close to the line to score beside the posts to have the visitors 28-18 ahead with 20 minutes left.

Melbourne had a couple of good scoring opportunities on the Eels line but failed to take them and those misses were compounded when Sio crossed for his second 11 minutes from the end to narrow the gap to 28-22.

But the Thunderbolts weren't about to throw this one away as Leary potted a late field goal to ensure the drought-breaking win.

Melbourne Storm 29
Tries: Leary, Faamausili, Johnson, Bromwich, Harris
Goals: Jerome 4
Field goals: Leary 1

Parramatta Eels 22
Tries: Sio 2, Tupou, Thomas
Goals: Tavita 3

Team for this week

1 Robbie Kurth
2 Eddie Faamausili
3 Mahe Fonua
4 Slade Griffin
5 Bennett Leslie
6 Jake Hawkins
7 Josh Jerome
8 Rulon Nutira
9 Lucas Grech
10 Mitchel Johnson
11 Sam Martin
12 Tohu Harris
13 Blake Leary [c]

14 Ryan Marlin
15 Kenny Bromwich
16 Jordan McLean
17 Jarome Wilson

Coach: Dean Pay

Maiepele Morseu, Ben Hampton and Kirsome Avuaa in Brisbane for the SOO curtain raiser. Will keep a close on eye on Victorian junior Lucas Grech on Monday if I get there early enough. Really like the look of him and his ability to get cheap meteres out of d/h is terrific, something Jake Hawkins is probably too slow to exploit and an area that has punished us bigtime when we dont have the ball.

Maybe a bit short at 172cm but he's solid enough @ 80kg.

Noa

First Grade
Should be mentioned 4 of the boys playing this weekend are genuine Victorian juniors i.e. Robbie Kurth, Lucas Grech, Mahe Fonua and Eddie Faamausili.

Noa

First Grade
*Dusts away cobwebs*

Dont know why I havent been updating in here, probably work and its stupid restrictions, but anyway. Its been a some-what disappointing year for the TB, however they are very young and a few recruits havent worked out (Uiti Baker, Mike Che Kam, Jordan Meads or come on as hoped (Theo Stuart, Slade Griffen - to be fair out of position most of the year and injured now). The coaching has been very ordinary and I cant fathom why they thought Pay would be the right man for the job.

On the positive a several players have shown they have a bright future such as

Tohu Harris - Enormous future imo. Massive kid but has great agility, good speed and very nice ball skills. Only took up the game a couple of years ago and his development from his first game I saw in SG Ball till now is huge. Will play first grade next year.

Maipele Morseau - Great talent though is playing out of position atm due to the Storm having no 7 once Jordan Meads was let go. We will really see the best of him next year when he plays behind a pack that isnt on the back-foot, hopefully at #1. Why Pay didnt bring Chisholm back earlier to play 7 and release Pele back to fullback I'll never know

Kenny Bromwich - Started the year on fire in the front-row but tailed off for some reason, howerv has kicked on in recent months and has found a home at the back of the pack. Tireless worker who has good footwork, in the Aiden Tolman mould.

Mahe Fonua - Destructive runner with good pace and nice skills. Still very impulsive but will get smarter with more experience. A Vic junior who will be the first to play for the top grade, probably a 13 in years too come

Ben Hampton - Plays like a young Darren Lockyer, take that fwiw. Will be much better playing with a true 7 next year and behind a stronger pack.

A couple of other players who have shown something to build on during the year are Matt Smith, Jorden Maclean (still think he has huge promise), Brayden Wiliame and Eddie Faamusili.

Noa

First Grade
Heres a review of the NYC players.

1 Kirisome Auva'a - Good first year after a few years of yawnion even played SOO U-18's and scored 2 tries. Runs hard but has to show more of the skill he definately has. Also needs to cut out the niggle. Prospects bright in 2011.
2 James Barker - Sunbury Tigers legend who wasnt sighted for most of the year but done well once he came in. Too old for NYC in 2011
3 Kenny Bromwich - Started the year hotter then a pepper-sprout but cooled off in the middle. Really found his feet at 13 and had a good 2nd half. Prospects good in 2011
4 Dane Chisholm - Only played limited games but showed his quality in those. If he played more we probably make the finals. Too old for NYC but with the right atitude should put pressure on the likes of Duffie and O'Neill
5 Matt Constantinou - Got a shot with injuries and done the job. Dont think he'll be on the main list next year but will be there for back-up
6 Eddie Faaumasili - Played well at the start of the year, out for a fair while with injuries but finished year well. With a stronger squad next year may battle for top 17 but prospects Ok
7 Mahe Fonua - Starred for SG Ball team then basically went straight into NYC team. Was a major handful for oppostion defences, breaks tackles for breakfast and has very good skills but needs to cut out errors and long-term is a back-rower. Prospects great in 2011
8 Lucas Grech - Done a good job for the team, mainly as the back-up 9. Needs to solidify defence but should be thereabouts in 2011
9 Slade Griffin - Had big hopes for him this year but didnt live up to expectations. In his defence was played out of positin at centre then had a shoulder injury. Im expecting him to bounce back in a bg way next year.
10 Ben Hampton - Started the season off slow but developed well as the year went on. Ticks all the boxes of what you want in a half but will need to go to the next level in 2011 especailly in organising a team, which he is capable of. Forming a great combo with the guy below. Very lippy at times which makes me laugh

11 Tohu Harris - Big, big year. When I saw his first game in SG ball, i thought "Meh", bit slow and cumbersome and not suited to the back-row. I must of caught him on his only off day for the year becasue he didnt have another bad one. First year in league and was one of the premier back-rowers in the NYC. Has size and strength, an impressive ability to pass before, at and through the line, under-rated speed, good work-rate and good agility. POTY who has huuuge prospects in 2011, however the Thunderbolts will have to get by without him at times.

12 Jake Hawkins - Solid year but not really a starting hooker imo. Will find his niche as a utility player, too old for NYC in 2011. Tbh I was stunned when I saw him added to the first team.
13 Jerome Henry - Another who got his chance through injury and did well, ran hard and didnt shirk on defence. Still waiting for a rib replacemat from the Manly game.
14 Jamie Ingram - Sighted at the start of the year but must have left
15 Josh Jerome - Just ok to start the year and an average goal-kicker but flicked a switch in last 3rd and played terrifically while developing into a brilliant goal-kicker. Amazingly eligable for a 4th year fo NYC but suspect we'll see him in premier league more often then not

16 Mitchell Johnson - Joined us after first few rounds and done a great job in a struggling team. Can give away a stupid penalty but will be a solid prop. Too old for NYC in 2011 and will play premier league.
17 Robert Kurth - Looked ok in his games, bit slight and will need to put on some kg's. Will be there for back-up at least in 2011
18 Blake Leary - Huge stats and the form player of the whole NYC in the early rounds. Despite being groomed for first-grade next year left the Storm for the Cowboys
19 Bennett Leslie - Had some good games and done the job. Too old for NYC in 2011 but one youd liek to keep for depth.
20 Pita Maile - Was suprisingly coming off the bench at the start of the year despite being the starting centre in last years GF. Whether this led to him going home I dont know.
21 Ryan Marlin - Done the job in limited apperances but will be too old in 2011

22 Sam Martin - I was very disappointed in his form for most of the year but played very well to finish the season off. Not sure if he'll be here next year.
23 Jordan McLean - Im a huge fan but can do so much more. Averages over 10m per carry and with his size and strength can be as good as he wants to be. Maybe needs a mean streak but looking forward to seeing him develop in 2011
24 Jordan Meads - What did we sign this guy for
25 Maipele Morseau - Another one I have massive wraps one and did fine playing out of position @ 7. If he had of stayed at FB would have challenged Tohu for POTY and Im expecting him to go to another level (or 3 ) in 2011 AT FULLBACK.
26 Rulon Nutira - looks ungainly but did a solid job for us this year, was great too see him bag a double yesterday. Too old for NYC in 2011
27 Justin O'Neill - Only played a couple of games but has a future imo
28 Robert Rochow - Played mostly Premier league. Im not as sold on him as some.
29 Andrew Smith - Done a good job when he came into the team. Very slight though and needs more size. Prospects good in 2011, probably the starting 9.
30 Matt Smith - Done a good job when he came into the team. Very slight though and needs more size. Prospects good in 2011, possibly the starting 9.
31 Theodore Stuart - Massive dissapointment. Looked like he could be anything in 2009 but for whatever reason didnt live up to expectations. Hopefully he is not lost to the game
32 Brayden Williame - Dont know what to make of Brayden. Had a great game at centre, looked most comfortable on the wing but was average at FB, and didnt see much sign of the blistering speed he is supposed to have. With more size could have a big 2011 though

33 Jerome Wilson - Fatty boom-bah when I saw him in SG Ball, but really apllied himself, lost weight and had a good year which is a credit too him. Had a better year off the field judging by the young blonde lass I see cheering him on at the home games :shock: .
34 James Woolford - Hard done by imo. Was jumping between NSW cup and NYC, never getting a chance too settle and develop combos. Should show up some-where and have a decent career.

With advancement in their games and some quality players joining them, will be title contenders in 2011

What the NYC team may look like next year. I'll only include those that I think are lay-down miseres to be in the top 17

1. Maipele Morseau
2. Brayden Wiliame
3. Mahe Fonua - May find find himself at backrow
4. Kirisome Avuaa
7. Ben Hampton
8. Jorden Mclean
10. Jarome Wilson
11. Tohu harris
13. Kenny Bromwich

14. Slade Griffen - Id develop him to be the back-up 9 as well.

Last edited:

tezzah

Juniors
Totally agree Noa.
Stand outs this year were Kenny Bromwich, Sam Martin (both played 21 games), Tohu Harris and Kirisome Auva'a (both played 19 games).

Blake Leary was the top tryscorer with 12 whilst Tohu and Eddie Faaumasili bagged 10, Mahe Fonua 9 and Kenny and Ben Hampton with 8.

Kenny top off loads stats with 26 off loads and Tohu 20.

Top hit ups went to Kenny 286 and Tohu 220 with metres gained went to Kenny with 2505m, Tohu with 1992 and Kirisome with 1511.

Top tackler was Sam Martin with 521, Kenny with 518 and Tohu with 486.

Blake Leary topping the tackle breaks with 70, Tohu with 69, Ben with 64 and Kenny with 63.

Ben Hampton seemed to make the most missed tackles with 70, Tohu and Kirisome with 54 and Jake Hawkins with 52.

Top Penalties went to Sam (15) and Kake (14) whilst top errors to Ben (21) and Mahe (20).

Interesting stats there I thought. http://203.166.101.37/NYC/index.html

For me Player of the year: Kenny Bromwich, Best Forward: Tohu Harris, Best Back Kirisome Auva'a. Most Improved: Eddie Faaumasili. Rookie of the year: Mahe Fonua

Last edited:

Kells

Juniors
great predictions tez! harris, k Bromwich, Auva'a all won awards at storms player of the yr night. good analysis of the stats as well

do u reckon those 3 will make it to 1st grade? also who else from this yrs u20s will make it? i think mitchell johnson and maybe jordan mclean can progress

tezzah

Juniors
Cheers Kells.
Really hard to say right now seeing how poorly the Thunderbolts were in 2010 in comparison to 2009. Sure a decent finish to the end of the season but definitely a step (or two) backwards from 2009. I know I know New team, new coach but some players who should have carried this team in 2010 didn't stand out and poorley bowed out hitting a hit brick wall in terms of inconsistent form. Would not have thought Mitchell Johnson would be given a crack at first grade at first glance but maybe he is a work in progress as Tohu, Kenny and Jordan McClean have all shown glimpses of what could be the next up and coming first grade players. With a stacked first grade roster I'd imagine that at least one of these boys would be given a contract but that all depends on how well they train in the off season and how they perform early next year. For me, it would be Kenny Bromwich simply for his consistent form. He was the Paul Gallen of this team.

Latest posts