What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Allan Border Medal - Monday 23rd January 2017

Pete Cash

Post Whore
warner averaged under 40 this year in test cricket. He had a good odi season but so did smith and starc

Reactions: JJ

undertaker

Coach
Haydos leaving out MTaylor as one of his test captains, praising Steve Waugh

chappelli and warnes tummys churning
Well, to be fair to Hayden, he only played 6 of his 103 tests under Taylor's captaincy and didn't cement his position in the test team until 2000 (near the beginning of S Waugh's captaincy)

Agreed, all the awards seemed like a popularity contest more than anything.
The same reason Michael Clarke won the 2005 AB Medal, even though Damien Martyn was by far the best batsman the previous calendar year and one of the main reasons we won in India

9 cares about it so much they've flogged it off to GEM in place of RBT repeats and Lethal Weapon 3.
Oh, what a huge fall from grace the Allan Border Medal has taken, especially from the early years when it was hosted by Eddie McGuire, went for about 3 hours and received huge publicity in the media.

Still maintain the first one in 2000 was the best. They pretty much analysed every test and ODI Australia played, nearly every test captain was in attendance. The live comedy sketch involving Tony Greig and Bill Lawry still stands out.

blaza88z

Coach
can't believe Starc got nominated before Hazlewood, just goes to show you what this great sport is turning into, it's all about bowling 150k's and hitting big sixes

Tommy Smith

Referee
Oh, what a huge fall from grace the Allan Border Medal has taken, especially from the early years when it was hosted by Eddie McGuire, went for about 3 hours and received huge publicity in the media.

Still maintain the first one in 2000 was the best. They pretty much analysed every test and ODI Australia played, nearly every test captain was in attendance. The live comedy sketch involving Tony Greig and Bill Lawry still stands out.
Indeed. A massive fall from grace.

In the early 2000s the AB Medal was a prestigious awards night that I looked forward to watching.

Now I almost forgot it was on and certainly didn't watch it.

The fact that Warner won despite plodding it up in Test cricket tells you all you need to know.

There's been 19 winners and only three bowlers. Plus Watto as an all rounder.

Not surprising given batsmen always get the credit in individual man of the match awards etc but it's pretty stark (no pun intended) when you consider the game is a contest between bat and ball. Arguably bowlers also contribute more given they all have to bat and often do better than top order bats. Their opportunities to record the stats that gain accolades, ie wickets, is limited compared to runs, which are essentially unlimited.

Medals and awards don't really matter anyway but it would be nice if it was fairer just the same.

Das Gupta

Juniors
Well done to Warner a well deserved award. Hang on didn't he average 13 in NZ last year and 27.1 against Sri Lanka. Not the kind of dominance one would expect for Player of the year award.
I guess thrashing a wayward bowling attack under the tutelage of Mickey Arthur clears all failures overseas.

Reactions: JJ

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I certainly didn't expect Warner to get the award but would've thought he come close with Smith and Starc.

Well done to him though, the last couple of months he's dominated both ODI and Test.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Well, to be fair to Hayden, he only played 6 of his 103 tests under Taylor's captaincy and didn't cement his position in the test team until 2000 (near the beginning of S Waugh's captaincy)

The same reason Michael Clarke won the 2005 AB Medal, even though Damien Martyn was by far the best batsman the previous calendar year and one of the main reasons we won in India

Hayden would definitely praise Steve Waugh. It was Steve who convinced Hayden to be patient and keep scoring runs in Sheild after he had two good seasons with QLD scoring over 1000 runs.

I could be wrong but he wanted him instead of Elliott to be opener after Taylor retired.

He did play under Taylor when he scored his first ton in 1997 against the Windies but came into the side after Elliott got injured in that series. Once Elliott came back as a No. 3 batsman, Hayden's form wasn't great so they dropped him again.

He came back again for Australia in 2000 after replacing Blewett. I remember the Windies series in 2000/01, he didn't score a hundred but made a few 50s but was still under pressure to keep his spot when they toured India.

Since that Indian series in 2001 he never looked back and then got even better when Langer partnered him.

I remember in 2005, Martyn was a shoe in for the Allan Border medal after he had a great calendar year in tests and still did quite well in ODI's. I was shocked when Clarke won it.

Those early days of the AB Medal were good when they had that voting system similar to the Dally Ms/Brownlow Medal, I think the 2001 Medal night was interesting when they did the countdown for the test player. All 3 players, S Waugh, Slater and Miller were equal points, then they did a countback on number of wickets, runs and catches. Miller surprisingly knocked all 3 of them out but was quite funny seeing him with the blue hair accepting the test player of the year.

But as for Eddie as host. Meh. Couldn't care less. These days he would flog AFL all the time.

However I liked the bit where they introduced all test captains, past and present and alive. It was good to acknowledge those past players.

Das Gupta

Juniors
is meg lanning gay?

What you talkin bout willis

Meg-lanning.jpg