What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AMNRL Coach of the Year

RLfan10

Juniors
Matty Elliot was named the AMNRL Coach of the Year

This is bullshit! How can you say that someone who flew over for three matches and a few trainings is more deserving of this award than the coaches who put in their time all season long running training sessions and coaching matches? No disrespect to Matty as I'm sure he's a great coach but to call him the AMNRL coach of the year is just ridiculous. (Coach of those 3 weeks maybe). It's a complete disregard for the hard work of all the AMNRL team coaches.

I tried posting a link to the article but apparently you need to post on here 20 times before including links in your messages and I've only posted 4 times. If anyone else want to find it on WAR please share it.

Evil Homer

Staff member
On a personal note, the greatest satisfaction came with the recognition that the work of my great mate David Niu [AMNRL president] has manifested into success.”
I wonder who selected the coach of the year. It's stuff like this that makes me wonder why anyone who isn't part of the clique would bother with the AMNRL.

Last edited:

billy2

Juniors
I thought America would struggle a bit in the qualifiers. Jamacia were nearly as strong as them on paper.
A coach of Elliott's quality was the reason they went through so emphatically.
All he would have done was pick the right mix of players from the squad he was provided and put together winning game plans, but that was enough.

Lone Ranger

Juniors
I thought America would struggle a bit in the qualifiers. Jamacia were nearly as strong as them on paper.
A coach of Elliott's quality was the reason they went through so emphatically.
All he would have done was pick the right mix of players from the squad he was provided and put together winning game plans, but that was enough.

An Aussie coach coaching Aussie players all representing a USA team whose domestic affairs are a total shambles. The AMNRL just summed up the entire 2011 season.

The next award is for best new team "Delaware Vipers". Anybody, anybody!

spinnerhowland

Juniors
Who is the selection committee for these type of awards? Does anyone know who voted to submit Apple's name to the RLIF for consideration and were there any other names give to them to chose from?
Is it the same "committee" that is making the selections for the current list of awardees such as the Coach of he year?
Or is it more for the PR of using the big names OR is it direction coming from STAR GROUP?
I also respect Matt Elliott as a great coach and he is by far the most experience and accomplished coach ever to coach in the USA, but the guys putting it in all season long should have gotten a shot at this one.
And don't get me wrong, I was happy for Apple given all he has done in the past, the sacarafice he made in not playing any domestic RL duirng 2011 to retain his national team spot, BUT I certainly see how tough that is for all the guys in teams who did play and especially all the guys at the Knights who won the AMNRL Comp.

Are the teams asked for nominations for such awards? Who votes? Is there really a vote of some type?

gothenyknights

Juniors
I can't recall this coach award ever existing before, does anyone know any past winners? And have no idea how the selection is made for either award.

league13

Juniors
Actually after Apple Pope was named AMNRL player of the year....not really

How can a guy (Apple Pope) be named player of the year when he has not played any club games?Any wonder why the AMNRL is rubbished.

well in all fairness the only team in the amnrl with a real coach is the knights(who won the comp mind you) so i can see why this decision is being questioned. In my eyes player or coach of the year carries no weight. we can all sit here and ask the who, what, when, where and whys, but an answer will never be given. The show must go on.Ive played the nutral party this whole time. the discouraging, re-occuring fact(s) is that one, it seems as though the AMNRL regular season never happend bc all the talks are about the tomahawks. Two, the only teams that are recognized are the knights, who are arguably the best team in both comps and im being honest, the bulls and the wild cats. All 3 great teams and certainly worth some attention but the sharks and raiders gave it a real go this season and were basicaly pushed aside. were we as strong as the knight or cats, no but we still exsist. I do not agree with statements and annoucment like this but there is not much to do. ill tell you what it is a motivator and the sharks have taken it personaly. we have started prep for the 2012 season already. were also in the market for one or 2 imports to round out our young team.

amnrlfan

Juniors
There were no other coaches in the running just like there were no other players in the running, if there were it would of been all over WAR and AMRNL sites

well in all fairness the only team in the amnrl with a real coach is the knights(who won the comp mind you)

The coaching staff of the Bucks County Sharks takes offense to this comment. It is the same staff that coached the Fight in 2010 and brought them on tour to England in 2011. Ask the Fight if these coaches added any value to their 2011 Premiership.

Fatwing15

Juniors
The coaching staff of the Bucks County Sharks takes offense to this comment. It is the same staff that coached the Fight in 2010 and brought them on tour to England in 2011. Ask the Fight if these coaches added any value to their 2011 Premiership.

I assumed that all of the teams had a coach. The Sharks DEFINITELY had real coaches and should of been in the running for the award for guiding such a young team to a respectable record in their first year back.

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
Everyone should of been considered and you go from there, everyone except Matthew Elliot.