What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AMNRL V's NFL

yankeeboy

Juniors
Most Americans don't even know that there are two codes of rugby, so a new name wouldn't matter, you could just call it rugby. I think the best chance for American exposure would be to air it on Fox (not Fox Sports World or Net, but the free-to-air channel). I believe Rupert Murdoch's son runs Fox, and is a Broncos supporter. Maybe they should do it like Star Sports in Asia, have one team for people to support (they show the Storm in Asia, but I'd show the Broncos, Warriors, or Roosters to America, because they are the strongest teams.)

The Aussie Rules clubs were mostly started by ex-pats, and then had Americans who had seen the sport on TV come join.

In the thread "Open Rugby's History of the USRL Part 1," it says that the reason that RL wasn't shown on ESPN is that the ARL wouldn't let them use Aussie game films, and the British productions were just of too poor quality.

So, really, blame the ARL that Aussie rules is more popular than league in America.

By the way, is there any league played in Canada?

I wish they would show some on free-to-air, as I don't have Foxsportsworld because I don't want to pay for it. I've looked at their schedule on the net and there seems to be very little League shown anyway - it's mostly a soccer channel.

When I first took an interest in league a few years ago, there was a Canadian RL website, but it's not there anymore. From what I recall Montreal seemed to be the main area for it. I don't know much about the Canadian team that played in the last RLWC, where the players came from, etc. I'm pretty sure league is very small in Canada. Union has a pretty good grassroots, but it still lags behind a lot of other sports, including Canadian football.

singaporeXIII

Juniors
CanadianSteve said:
I wish they would show some on free-to-air, as I don't have Foxsportsworld because I don't want to pay for it. I've looked at their schedule on the net and there seems to be very little League shown anyway - it's mostly a soccer channel.

When I first took an interest in league a few years ago, there was a Canadian RL website, but it's not there anymore. From what I recall Montreal seemed to be the main area for it. I don't know much about the Canadian team that played in the last RLWC, where the players came from, etc. I'm pretty sure league is very small in Canada. Union has a pretty good grassroots, but it still lags behind a lot of other sports, including Canadian football.

An article I read in Rugby League Review stated that the Canadian League has teams in areas such as Markham, East Winnipeg, London, St.Catherines Toronto, Winnipeg, St.Boniface and Lakeport.
In regards to where the players came from in the 2000 RLWC. Click on this link and select Canada http://www.rugby-league-world.com/2000/WorldCup/emergingnations/squads.htm

hot dog

Juniors
The NFL is now the dominant player in Arena Football. They were on their way under and into bankruptcy until the NFL took over.

Lachlan Murdoch owns the Brisbane Broncos.

yankeeboy

Juniors
The MLS hasn't done jack for soccer in the USA. The only thing it has going for it is that it is the only non-contact sport that is simple enough for little kids to play. That is why it is the number 1 junior sport in the USA, at least until around 12 years of age, when gridiron takes over by huge percentages.

I would say that soccer is no more popular that it was before the MLS. The one thing that kick-started soccer is the World Cup, and that's faded from memory.

If league could just get a juniors presence, I'm sure it would take over quickly as the football code you play besides gridiron.

Dragon Fanatic

Juniors
Because its a pussy sport mums want their kids to play soccer instead of any of the footies. So Soccer beats us in pussiness.

Latest posts