What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An All Night Hammering

IanG

Coach
Just curious to find out if anybody else put themselves through the same all night vigual/hammering of watching the World Cup Final. Went to be at 9am this morning didn't get up 'til about 3:30 this arvo.

It's the closest I've had to a hangover.

CJKnight

Juniors
Sat up drinking coffee all night...

Went to bed at 9:30am and slept until 2pm (when the Warriors/Souths game kicked off).

RABK

Referee
I was out clubbing till early this morning but was getting sms'ed live scores.

A fitting finale to an atrocious world cup i heard.

astrogirl

First Grade
Went out last night and decided it'd be a good idea to watch the cricket. Ended up falling asleep with the TV on, and woke up at 5am.

Misanthrope

Staff member
The World Cup's image was further damaged by an atrocious final. Shortening it, continued interruptions, and then three overs played in near darkness just made the whole thing seem farcical. Seriously, the organisers just gave Sri Lanka ammunition with which to complain about the loss.

Why didn't they just push the game back a day so we didn't get a shoddy, joke of a final.

Frederick

Staff member
Turned on the TV last night at 11, with the sleep timer set for 2 hours so I could fall asleep and not worry about the TV being on all night. Saw there was a rain delay, so I sat there watching old footage while waiting for the game to start. Fell asleep, and woke up at 9 this morning, just after the damn thing had finished :x

[furrycat]

Coach
CWBush said:
The World Cup's image was further damaged by an atrocious final. Shortening it, continued interruptions, and then three overs played in near darkness just made the whole thing seem farcical. Seriously, the organisers just gave Sri Lanka ammunition with which to complain about the loss.

Why didn't they just push the game back a day so we didn't get a shoddy, joke of a final.

Because they knew they'd get a very low crowd. Half of the aussie fans are flying back today (day after the final).

I don't see the joke of it... It was a good game. They can't control the weather and they can't control the fact Barbados has no lights.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I know they don't control the weather, but they should have picked a venue with lights. It's poor organising that they had to call the game due to poor light. And the shortened overs cheapens the win. It's like playing a sixty minute game of football or a fifty minute game of rugby league.

Alex28

Coach
The only farcical part was where Sri Lanka had to come back out and bat the last few overs in the dark. If those umpires don't know the rules - what hope has international cricket got?

astrogirl

First Grade
I don't know if this is right as I would have been half asleep while watching this, but was there a run that was disallowed to Clarke for some reason?? What was that all about?

(I assume I didn't dream this, and it actually happened!)

Misanthrope

Staff member
I don't know if this is right as I would have been half asleep while watching this, but was there a run that was disallowed to Clarke for some reason?? What was that all about?

He ran on the pitch, which was deemed to be an attempt to tamper with it. At least, that's how it was explained to me. I didn't see the incident.

astrogirl

First Grade
I have never noticed that they aren't allowed to run on it...

Aaah the title of this thread keeps putting the lionel ritchie song in my head (all night long)!!!

Misanthrope

Staff member
It might have had something to do with conditions. It had rained quite a bit before the match.

Big Tim

First Grade
CWBush said:
I know they don't control the weather, but they should have picked a venue with lights. It's poor organising that they had to call the game due to poor light. And the shortened overs cheapens the win. It's like playing a sixty minute game of football or a fifty minute game of rugby league.

Or they could have used the 1 extra day that was put into the 7 week schedule.

In all seriousness 1 day would not have made a difference for a competition that went 6 weeks too long.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I'd have had no problem with them organising for it to be played on the next day. Given the number of rain delayed matches in the tournament - you'd think that ticket holders would have been well aware of the chance the final would be rained out.

Doctor

Bench
I have never done an "all-nighter" (which I would define as when you don't go to sleep before the sun rises for a new day, and manage to stay awake until at least midday). I didn't even try to pull one off during my University days, even if it meant doing particularly dodgy essays.

But big moments call for big performances -- I woke up at about 8am on Saturday and powered on until 2pm on Sunday with no break. Two coffee/chocolate/sugar combo hot drinks did the trick, and some fireworks (Gilchrist, not the explosives). I slept for two hours and then stayed up until 10pm. Slept pretty well.

As for the game: it was a farce.

2007ICCWorldCupTeamPhoto.jpg

funky_pineapple

Juniors
I settled in on the couch to watch at about 11:30pm cos I was watching something else. I saw it was delayed so I flicked between the fill-in footage and Rage. The last time I remember looking at the clock was 1:15am and then I woke up at 1:45am with the worst sore neck cos I fell asleep sitting up. So I gave up and went to bed. I didn't find out the full details of what happened until the 6pm news. Even they didn't explain it properly, the ABC news did tho. That whole tournament was a joke.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Big Tim said:
Or they could have used the 1 extra day that was put into the 7 week schedule.

In all seriousness 1 day would not have made a difference for a competition that went 6 weeks too long.
Then that would have defeated the purpose of having the match shortened. If they were going to play it the next day, then they should have started again and made it a 50-over a side match.

The farcical end to it pretty much defeats the purpose of the Duckworth-Lewis system.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Then that would have defeated the purpose of having the match shortened. If they were going to play it the next day, then they should have started again and made it a 50-over a side match.

When it got delayed by two hours because of rain, they perhaps should have realised that a final deserves better than a shortened game that is further shortened by poor light at a shoddy venue. Seriously, Australia won a 38 over game to remain World Champions of a 50 over game.

Latest posts