What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An eager new Eagle

An eager new Eagle

BY JOSH GIDNEY
http://www.batemansbaypost.com.au/n...e/an-eager-new-eagle/1720220.aspx?storypage=0

Like his big brother Ben, former Batemans Bay rugby league player Matt Cross can’t wait to put a disappointing 2009 NRL season behind him and get going again in 2010.A shin bone injury suffered in round 24 last year robbed Cross of a premiership with the Melbourne Storm last year, so he is anxious to make up for the lost opportunity with his new club, Manly.
“When you get so close to something like that and miss out, it gives you an extra hunger for the opportunity to do it again,” he said.
Cross began the first year of a two-year deal with the Gold Coast Titans in 2008 but got a release a year early when a chance to play for his brother’s premiership club, the Melbourne Storm, came up, and he secured a one-year deal.
He played 16 first grade games in 2009 and was the 18th man in several others.
Due to salary cap restrictions, he wasn’t able to get another deal with the club for 2010, but has another chance with Manly.
“Manly are the same style of club, and they have played in two recent grand finals, so I haven’t taken a backward step,” he said.
Despite the disappointing way it ended, Cross enjoyed his time with the Storm.
“I still keep in contact with the coaches and players there,” he said.
Cross’s injury has not hindered his welcome at Manly.
“They are a good bunch of guys and I know some of them from clubs I have played for before, and Dessie (coach Des Hasler) has been great,” he said.
“Even though I haven’t been able to train, he has been keeping me up to speed with the video sessions and ball work.”
According to Cross, Hasler has much in common with Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy.
“People say they are very similar and they are,” he said.
“They are both committed and passionate and their main goal is to win, and that is all I can ask for from a coach to help my game.”
Cross has moved to Mona Vale with wife Jodie and children Riley, seven, and Lacey, two, which is a much better arrangement than in 2009, when he was based in Melbourne, while Jodie, who still worked for the Titans, was living on the Gold Coast with the children.
“It is a big bonus for us to move to Sydney,” he said.
Jodie has landed a job as a director for the National Rugby League’s One Community Program.
“Jodie’s an hour away from work and I’m five minutes away from work, so I’m handling all the pick-ups for the kids,” he said.
“I am getting the chance to make up for the year I missed with them.”
Cross and his family feel right at home in Mona Vale.
“With the beaches and bushland, it’s like being home in Batemans Bay; it’s really good,” he said.
Cross recently completed a beep test and field session, proving he is recovering faster than expected, and will be more than ready when the season kicks off in March.

KKW

Juniors
He's a good footy player. He'll put heaps of pressure on King and Kite.