What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An example of the players passion in 2006

Thomo.

First Grade
i mentiuoned once to implement more control. not to deprive the players of a life. but hardly anyone agreed with me last year:?

spider

Coach
thomo_shark said:
i mentiuoned once to implement more control. not to deprive the players of a life. but hardly anyone agreed with me last year:?

I agree - Langy had good discilpline in this regard.

spider

Coach
veryhappyshark said:
was kinga the only one there?

how long do u guys stay back to see the players...?

Kinga was in there briefly and Gallen as well. Gallen looked pretty pissed off and just walked around eating his pasta.

The Nulla

Juniors
Bailey was there for a while... and LOO LOO LOO LOO... Give that kid another run, he may not be the biggest talent we have but he is a dead set character with a big heart

Macca

Coach
I have no problem with them going out at all. Every sport I have ever played, I got on the piss afterwards, win, lose or draw. Especially if we lost.

Havoc

Juniors
Speaking of Phil Leuluai, I was at a exhibition for work today, and LG had him and a couple of mermaids there for a while.

Got the chance to chat to him for a bit, and found him to a really genuine guy. And before anyone pops up and says oh yeah, but he has to be cos he's being paid to be there... I've spoken to players at these events before, and they are not always good enough to have a decent chat.

ali

Bench
beekershark said:
Players are entitled to have a beer where and when they want, and no contractual policy is going to stop that.

Some players thankfully choose to stick around in the auditorium, others take the CLUB PROVIDED option of going upstairs to the private board area for a meal and beer as they havent eaten dinner yet by that time.

OPthers obvioulsy prefer to get out of there and head to other shire spots.

I think its a poor indication of the quality/attraction of our own leagues club when your own employees would rather give their patronage to other clubs around the shire.

Make the club a great spot out again, make it attractive, bring back the beer garden/ summertime bar and nightlife and make the club a shire hotspot again, then the players may stick around.

But the current situation needs changing .

I agree, though I'm not old enough to ever have known the club as a place to go. To tell you the truth, I reckon if I wasn't a Cronulla fan / RL fan I never would have been there. It's just not cool, not on the radar for nights out with my mates. So whilst we are on the subject for bagging the board, why can't they run a licenced club that is popular?

spider

Coach
ali said:
I agree, though I'm not old enough to ever have known the club as a place to go. To tell you the truth, I reckon if I wasn't a Cronulla fan / RL fan I never would have been there. It's just not cool, not on the radar for nights out with my mates. So whilst we are on the subject for bagging the board, why can't they run a licenced club that is popular?

I agree Ali - seems to be all the emphasis is on the Football side of things there. Should be 2 seperate boards to eradicate the common interest.

IMO - 2 boards to remove any conflict of interest.

kimbys

Juniors
Havoc said:
Anyone remember "Captains"?

Hehehehehehe... Suddenly I feel old!

Great nights at captains, dollar drinks so was able to get pissed on $10

and smuggling in a bottle of scotch to add to my coke schooners.

remember it well (or at least some of it !!!)

Frenzy.

Post Whore
I got banned for life after during a night in Captain's.

Got unbanned when Peter Riley left.

:lol:

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Since 73 said:
Isn't game day a work day?
Therefore shouldn't there be a clock on and clock off time in which certain responsibilities are fulfilled.

surely a criteria or schedule is explained at beginning of season stating this for home and away games.
Homes games would entitle each player to be at the ground at (?) pm and attend the club presentation, etc.
Players or not, they are employees and like all of us need expectations spelt out or we will look for a relaxtion of duties we may not feel like performin.

It isn't the players fault.
Comes from management.
Weak leadership always end with the same result.
Always.
Disharmony and failure in employee performance - whether you are running a fish and chip shop or a sporting team.

Agree 100%. If employees don't get given strict boundaries they really have no idea of how far they can push the barrow. This leads to differences in perception as to what is right/wrong and eventually it leads to underperformance.

It appears there are few boundaries at the Sharks. I don't give a rat's if they have a beer but there's a time and a place to flaunt yourself when you are in the public eye. Our players are too visible.

zeppelin

Juniors
SpiderShark said:
I agree Ali - seems to be all the emphasis is on the Football side of things there. Should be 2 seperate boards to eradicate the common interest. Cant spend that - need it for the footy club!

Totally agree. There is a massive conflict of interest.

The leagues club should be run as an independant business without the influence of a football team. They then decide how much money to allocate to the fooball club without biase.

The football board would then realise that unless they win games and draw decent crowds etc, they wont get the funding they require.

Correct me if i am wrong, but are we the only team to have joint boards? Must be a coincidence that we havent won a com:roll:

jc155776

Coach
The board has to be seperate to be successful to be honest. I mean what do footballers really know about running a business?

Get some proper business people in running the Leagues and a combo of Footballers AND business people running the footy team side...