What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An Honest assessment of Todd Greenberg

How would you rate Greenbergs'

• Great for the game. A significant step up from his predecessors.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • Nothing special. Done some things that are great for the game, and others not so good

Votes: 21 29.2%
  • Would have been better off with Dave Smith.

Votes: 34 47.2%
  • GTFO you sook

Votes: 12 16.7%

• Total voters

>zuzu<

Juniors
I think its time for an open discussion about Toddy G. Let's have a quick look at the changes he has made during his time as CEO, but also had a heavy influence in during his time as Head of Operations:

The good
  1. Biggest TV deal in history (including simulcasting)
  2. Increase in club memberships
  3. Reduction of the interchange
  4. Introduction of HIA
  5. An increase in grassroots attendance
  6. Introduction of NRLW
  7. Return to more suburban venues
  8. Introduction of the 9s

The bad
  1. The bunker
  2. The handling of the Matt Lodge situation
  3. Sucking up to Cameron Smith and his wallet (diamond ring for his wife, and "testimonial game" anyone?)
  4. Defending Greg Inglis on his drink driving charge
  5. The state of officiating
  6. Moving State of Origin out of their states of Origin on a yearly basis.
  7. Removing of Monday night games (No more football for 5 nights a week)
  8. Auto sin bin for punches (and slaps, apparently)
  9. Crowd averages dropping since 2012
  10. Introduction of a second Friday night game at an earlier time slot
  11. Shoulder charges = banned
  12. Drop in viewership
  13. Handling of the Sharks Salary cap saga
  14. The 7 tackle set
  15. Handling of the Bulldogs mad Monday

The debatable
  1. The no fault stand down policy (conscious that this is probably split down the middle as to those in favour and those who aren't).
  2. Introduction of a "challenge system" (of which the effects are TBC)

What have I missed, as I feel like I have only scratched the surface?

Reactions: gUt
The bad

Sorry but I vehemently disagree on that point. Monday night, and Thursday night football (for that matter) are terrible. They helped contribute to the drop in crowds as families won't go to them as the kids have to go to school the next day, nor will many adults as they have yo go to work. We do not need games on 5 days a week at all.

mave

Coach
Bad*
Believes consistency is over-rated, despite seemingly most supporters wanting more consistency.

Has taken the advice of teenage girls when making big decisions that affect players lives and livelihoods.

Good*
Every day is a day closer to this swine leaving the NRL

mongoose

Coach
The bad
  1. The bunker
  3. Sucking up to Cameron Smith and his wallet (diamond ring for his wife, and "testimonial game" anyone?)
  12. Drop in viewership
  14. The 7 tackle set

some of these are debatable.

6. Moving State of Origin out of their states of Origin on a yearly basis. - The purists might hate it but it's probably bringing a ton of additional revenue to the game by selling it to these cities.

7. Removing of Monday night games (No more football for 5 nights a week)... yeah, nah

8&11 - these are debatable rules the game was probably under a lot of pressure to bring in

9&12 - not sure how much he can be blamed for these. Crowds have been stagnant and viewership being down on FTA could be put down to ratings across all FTA TV decreasing. He should put more pressure on 9 to smarten up their coverage if anything.

Agree that officiating and the bunker has been an absolute debacle under Greenberg.

The Cam Smith, Inglis stuff... ehh whatever I don't really care about that stuff.

I don't dislike Greenberg as much as some. I think he has a genuine appreciation for the sport and tries his best. I prefer him to Gallop who I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw.

shear_joy9

Coach
Sorry but I vehemently disagree on that point. Monday night, and Thursday night football (for that matter) are terrible. They helped contribute to the drop in crowds as families won't go to them as the kids have to go to school the next day, nor will many adults as they have yo go to work. We do not need games on 5 days a week at all.

works for some clubs.
half price or even free tickets with clubs compensated by the nrl and I reckon the average attendance could almost be higher than weekend games.

typicalfan

Coach
Pro: The guy appears to be a genuine fan of the game.

Con: Acts a bit too much like a fan sometimes.

King hit

Coach
I think its time for an open discussion about Toddy G. Let's have a quick look at the changes he has made during his time as CEO, but also had a heavy influence in during his time as Head of Operations:

The good
  4. Introduction of HIA
  6. Introduction of NRLW

The bad
  1. The bunker
  12. Drop in viewership
  14. The 7 tackle set

The debatable
  1. The no fault stand down policy (conscious that this is probably split down the middle as to those in favour and those who aren't).

Disagree on moving state of origin away from NSW/QLD is bad for the game. It gives us a chance to showcase our greatest event in a different state promoting Rugby League in the best possible way. Also disagree with

- Removing Monday Night. Those game weren't really that popular with clubs from memory. It hasn't really been a big loss
- The 7 Tackle set. Um how is that his fault? 7 Tackle sets have happened so many times before even before Greenburg was even remotely involved in our sport.
- The Matt Lodge thing. Yes whilst I do agree he could've handled that much better. Waste of life like should never play again but I still maintain the only reason why Lodge got approved was because people are terrified of Wayne Bennett and refuse to tell him no

Another positive for Toddy is how we have gotten stronger links to Rugby League strongholds in regional areas. I was really worried that after the City V Country game was scrapped there wouldn't be enough support for country teams but he has compensated it really well with the games in Bathurst, Wagga Wagga, Tamworth etc.

axl rose

Bench
Even Ribot could do a better job. On borrowed time. SpaceX are looking for volunteers for a one way trip to Mars.

King hit

Coach
Always remember if you think Rugby League is going bad just remember this rabble
aru-logo1.jpg

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The bad
  1. The bunker
  12. Drop in viewership
  14. The 7 tackle set
1 is debatable. Outcomes post-Bunker are arguably better. It follows that 5 is also arguable, as fans have been pissing and moaning about referees since time immemorial.

6 is also debatable, exposing the game to new markets and making a mint in the process is only a good thing for the game.

7 big nope. Removing MNF was a masterstroke - it didn't rate any better than Thursday, and was a black hole for crowds more than any other night.

9 surely that's also Smith's fault?

11 is good, we don't live in the dark ages anymore

12 Viewership for all sport is dropping on the back of streaming. RL still occupies the top spots when it comes to annual top 10/20 lists of programs for the year

14 I think is fairly debatable too, it could do with some tinkering but its not as bad as some of the other stuff.

Happy to agree with the rest for the most part.

Last Week

Bench
The good
  1. Biggest TV deal in history (including simulcasting) - this would have happened anyway. And if we remember correctly, this deal we're in now was John Grant blinking and not trusting his previous CEO.
  2. Increase in club memberships - the initial push for memberships came from Todd and Shane Richardson, back when Todd was at the Dogs. No other CEO would have had any different. It's a club pushed thing.
  3. Reduction of the interchange - meh. Would have happened regardless.
  4. Introduction of HIA. Yep. Good strong stance.
  5. An increase in grassroots attendance - largely due to the merger/take over of touch and austag. Partial credit.
  6. Introduction of NRLW - Got it going without much fuss. Good job. Keep going.
  7. Return to more suburban venues - he's walked the line with this. The push should still be away from them with the likes of Belmore, Leichhardt, etc, to be used on occasion.
  8. Introduction of the 9s. This was not a push from him, it was the external promoter. The two years the NRL have had control of it, one year it wasn't played, the other it was reduced by a game in the most moronic format ever. Not impressed so far with the NRLs handling of it.

The bad

1. The bunker - the video ref with a different name. It's not bad. People just need to come to grips with the fact that mistakes will be made, regardless of technology, and sometimes you're just wrong and the ref is right.
  2. The handling of the Matt Lodge situation. Yep, that was a bomb.
  3. Sucking up to Cameron Smith and his wallet (diamond ring for his wife, and "testimonial game" anyone?) - Yep, has gone too far with the deep throat for several players and the favouritism.
  4. Defending Greg Inglis on his drink driving charge. - I actually have no issue with this.
  5. The state of officiating. - Come up with a better solution.
  6. Moving State of Origin out of their states of Origin on a yearly basis. - Smart move. Creates national interest and makes a shit load of cash.
  7. Removing of Monday night games (No more football for 5 nights a week). - Lol, seriously?
  8. Auto sin bin for punches (and slaps, apparently) - Nope. Right call. In fact, we need more penalties and binnings until coaches get the idea not to push every f**king limit in the rules they can.
  9. Crowd averages dropping since 2012. - meh, not drastic and it's consistent across the board for all codes. Clubs can wear this too.
  10. Introduction of a second Friday night game at an earlier time slot. - This is a John Grant thing. He blinked.
  11. Shoulder charges = banned. - No, needed to happen.
  12. Drop in viewership. - Rise in streaming?
  13. Handling of the Sharks Salary cap saga. - meh.
  14. The 7 tackle set - its a good rule.
  15. Handling of the Bulldogs mad Monday. - Lol, what did Todd Doo wrong here?

The debatable

1. The no fault stand down policy (conscious that this is probably split down the middle as to those in favour and those who aren't). - Yeah, it's the right move for the game.
  2. Introduction of a "challenge system" (of which the effects are TBC) - Let's wait and see.
I'm not a fan of Todd. I don't think he should have got the job in the first place. I find it hard to believe that, after a world wide search, he was the best and most qualified candidate. He was essentially appointed by the media. Just like Vlandys, who I have concerns about also with his conservative outlook and idea for the game.

I don't think Todd can take the game further, to the next level. And I don't think Vlandys even wants to.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
He’s no visionary lol.
we’ve dropped further behind our main competitor in pretty much every KPI so it’s hard to say he’s done a great job. Ultra conservative and lacks any real ambition for the game. On the plus side he’s not done anything dire. He’s mostly, well, vanilla. Not terrible, not great.

when you consider how much money the game has had over the last 4 years of his stewardship (nearly $400million over the 4 years compared to the 3 years proceeding) its hard to say the game has come on in leaps and bounds with that much cash available to use.

The good
  4. Introduction of HIA
  6. Introduction of NRLW

The bad
  1. The bunker
  12. Drop in viewership
  14. The 7 tackle set

The debatable

Better if you list the key points then let others decide if good or bad. But understand your opinion. My opinion is he’s been the best in the seat for a long time.

Vee

First Grade

The good
  4. Introduction of HIA
  6. Introduction of NRLW

The bad
  1. The bunker
  12. Drop in viewership
  14. The 7 tackle set

The debatable

My initial response was "A politician and, like most, a dud."

But others have bought in so I'll play.

1. Would've happened anyway.
2. Not sure how much was his fault.
3. No-brainer.
4. Good call.
5. I presume you're talking about playing numbers. As someone else said, it's taking over touch etc, a smoke and mirrors trick not much better than the afls auskick illusion.
6. Controversial initially leaving out Souths and Cronulla. Expansion must come, first with two rounds, then with extra teams. But generally well-managed.
7. The grounds policy is like a dog's breakfast.
8. As someone else said, somebody else drove it, the NRL took it over and they're off to a bad start IMO.

1. Bunker's a good concept but poorly run.
2. Very poorly handled.
3. Disgraceful, a diamond ring for the wife FMD.
4. Very poor judgement.
5. Not sure what he could do about ref's decisions but the blokes he's picked to run it have been duds until Annesley.
6. Great move.
7. Correct decision, but Thursday night's no better.
8. Poorly thought through and ruthlessly exposed by nigglers who need smacking.
9. I don't think they care and it shows.
10. Sounded alright but a complete flop.
11. Had to happen.
12. The buck stops with him.
13. Can't remember. I thought Smith ran that.
14. It happens.
15. The Integrity Unit's performance has been bloody ordinary generally.

The NFSD had to be done but you're never going to please all the people all the time.
The Challenge system should have come in years ago, they've really dragged their feet over that.

Others:
Expansion - Massive fail, one excuse after another.
Stadiums Debacle - Wankbest is terrific but the NRL really got bent over and taking it like a bitch over the other two.
Failure to improve the game - lots of little things here, trainers spending more time on the field than most players, Allowing players to get their breath back with excessive times for dropouts, scrums etc, lack of a taunting/niggling rule to operate with the No Punching rule etc
Pandering to the elite players - Burgess, Smith, Inglis etc.
Bending over to Nein at every turn. They're our partner not our parent.
Failing to organise the draw to have Melbourne at home before the afl starts each season. Teams playing each other twice in 5 weeks etc.

Last edited:

TheDalek079

Bench
You say the hia is a good thing. Protecting heads are important. So then it should also follow that a rule change that punishes players for punching someone in the head should also be seen as a positive. But you don't like that rule. Like you are happy to see punches inducing serious brain injury in young NRL players.

T-Boon

Coach
Somehow a few interesting rule changes have come in under his watch so that’s a positive.

Spot On

Coach
Someone desperately needs to take charge over grass roots footy and country footy.

It is disgraceful. Been an issue for 15 yrs or more and does not look like getting any better.

The AFL have infiltrated league areas and are getting stronger each year.

Old news I know but RL is both dumb and slow to act so it gets what it has now got.

carcharias

Immortal
Good:
Has a beard.

Bad:
Bald
HA
Funny

however as far as beards go his is not a cool one.

I have mentioned this before..I’ve known him in a former life.
He was a bit of a chick magnet in his day.
Hair and super fit.
Gym instructor dude.
Ya know the type - a wanker.

Latest posts