What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Analysis of 2005 signings

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I still dont understand why we bought stringer, Its just another Pearson.

Pearson was slow and old, and didnt have enough mobile. Stringer is none of those, except is a bit injury prone.

He goes strong and hard, and most of the times is hard to put down. I think its a good buy.

Utey

Coach
A bit injury prone??? THis bloke will be lucky to play a few games next year. Parra arent exactly the best at managing injuries from seeing the last two years.

Hurriflatch

Referee
Well, from reports one of the main reasons Stringer signed was because Parra were putting him on a special program to manage his back injury.

and it's only broken arms and hamstrings Parra don't know how to manage.

Utey

Coach
Pearson was out for 13 rounds with a back injury. We can manage them well. :roll:

Rednecked Yobbo

Juniors
the way id play it

6. Morris
7. Marsh
9. Riddell

14. Witt

When Riddell is off, slot either Morris or marsh as hooker, play Witt in halves

Utey

Coach
I dont like the idea of the halves being interupted. I think we need 2 80 minute halves. THe swapping and changing will do us no good. Witt would either be in the halves or premier league. He isnt a bench player.

Rednecked Yobbo

Juniors
Yeah, but gives Witt more experience with a top half, helps his game more. Also gives a fresh set of legs in the halves. And if there is an injury or suspension, Witt can step up and it shouldnt disrupt the team too much.

Utey

Coach
He has shown nothing of his late 2003 form this year. With the loss of dykes we are now even weaker in the department. Smith has a tendancy to have 2 props, an impact player (widders) and an impact hooker (webster, marsh, drew etc) on his bench. How many top teams do you see with the halves being swapping through out the game :roll:

Utey

Coach
See I wouldnt have the swapping between halves. I would have Marsh and Witt in the halves with Riddell starting as hooker with Morris coming on. But Smith has already publically said that Morris will be our 6 and Marsh our 7. That leaves Riddell as our hooker and another hooker coming on for him. Henderson, Jones etc.

Eels Dude

Coach
I don't think he'll shut Witt out completely. He said he wants Morris in the halves, but he also said he likes his utility value. I wouldn't be surprised to see Morris start off the bench every week.

oldmancraigy

Coach
I haven't heard Smith say that Marsh will be our number 7 yet - where was that?

I would think that the season may well start with PJ on the bench - playing 40 minutes behind Riddell. Be VERY good to have PJ playing that role

Of course it would also be VERY good to have Marsh/ Morris in the halves for the full 80... ho hum... what will happen?

William Hung

Juniors
oldmancraigy said:

I would think that the season may well start with PJ on the bench - playing 40 minutes behind Riddell. Be VERY good to have PJ playing that role

Of course it would also be VERY good to have Marsh/ Morris in the halves for the full 80... ho hum... what will happen?

This is what the team will prob look like come round 1: I'd be spewing if it does:

1. McKinnon
2. Petersen
3. Burt
4. Tahu
5. Graham
6. Wagon
7. Marsh
8. Peek
9. Riddell
10. Vella
11. Hindmarsh
12. Cayless
13. Morrison

14. Hendersen
15. Stringer
16. Cannings
17. Robinson

Utey

Coach
WHATTTTTT No way.
1 Mckinnon
2 Grothe
3 Tahu
4 Burt/Or whoever
5 Peterson
6 Morris
7 Marsh
8 Cannings
9 Riddell
10 Vella
11 Hindy
12 Morrison
13 Wagon

bartman

Immortal
oldmancraigy said:
Someone said that Vella came out and said it, on Fox Sports?

I'd love PJ to be fit and back to his best, but for mine it's still a long road and should be our Plan B, not what we build our campaign around. For that reason I'd go with 6. Morris, 7. Witt, and give them the pre-season playing like that together.

Cannings and Cayless fit and firing will be very important for us in the pack. And Stringer, Robinson, Moi Moi or anyone to give our props go forward? Vella has it in him too, but we need more week to week than he has given us lately.

And still want to see who takes on the centre roles. With Morris at 6 we need some go to players outside, and I'm concerned that we've got too many winger and not enough centres in our mix at the moment? Hopefully Ben Smith steps up, but otherwise it'll be like this year with Tahu (instead of Langi) partnered with someone else just filling (instead of excelling) in the other spot.

Utey

Coach
Morris and Witt last year were great. I dont know why wagon was our first choice 5/8 but anyhow. Vella said Marsh would be our 7. Although any chance of being a top 4 side would rely on Marsh playing. Witt simply isnt good enough yet. :cry: