What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

And the NZRU got exactly what?

Coastie

Juniors
New Super 15th comp fall out.

1. Australia got their fifth team, Queenslanders must be worried.

2. The Saffas split June and Curry Cup out of the deal.

3. New Zealand got .... the dirty cups to wash after the meeting?

Nice one Tew and Co. :?

Timbo

Staff member
If you can't see that the NPC was collapsing under it's own weight, and this may well stop many Kiwi players from heading to Europe I don't know what to tell you.

shiznit

Coach
meh... ill just wait for this to collapse in a heap...

this super 15 or whatever it will be wont last too long... the provinces will get annoyed and get rid of teflon tew and his boys in a couple of years.

Wayne Peters has already gotten on the board... and i can see a couple more G9 members getting on there after the next debacle...

Te Kaha

First Grade
meh... ill just wait for this to collapse in a heap...

this super 15 or whatever it will be wont last too long... the provinces will get annoyed and get rid of teflon tew and his boys in a couple of years.

Wayne Peters has already gotten on the board... and i can see a couple more G9 members getting on there after the next debacle...

Not gonna happen... the money is made in Super rugby... the provinces know this.... all they will succeed in doing is driving the big five out of the NPC... then they wont get a penny.... How will they ever sell that to Sky tv... wont happen... Professional Super rugby is here to stay... the NPC is going to be Semi Pro at best...

shiznit

Coach
Not gonna happen... the money is made in Super rugby... the provinces know this.... all they will succeed in doing is driving the big five out of the NPC... then they wont get a penny.... How will they ever sell that to Sky tv... wont happen... Professional Super rugby is here to stay... the NPC is going to be Semi Pro at best...
mate... i was talking with 2 current NZRFU board members a month ago... if the super 15 fails to deliver steve tew and co will be gone... there on there last chance.

at the end of the day any idiot can see why super rugby is going down the sh*ter... no one cares about franchises... proof of that was the fact the Chiefs couldn't even sell out there super semi in a 25,000 seater against another kiwi opponent. deadest shameful.

the Franchises only make money because the wage bill is paid for directly by the NZRFU. which is going to change when the new Super 15 starts... Franchises will now pay for there own players.

The provinces wont die... there to ingrained in the system to do that... whether they go semi-pro for a while or not... they will still be around... super rugby however... there at the limit of expansion.... if the crowds dont improve the NZRFU will have to give it the boot.

Te Kaha

First Grade
mate... i was talking with 2 current NZRFU board members a month ago... if the super 15 fails to deliver steve tew and co will be gone... there on there last chance.

at the end of the day any idiot can see why super rugby is going down the sh*ter... no one cares about franchises... proof of that was the fact the Chiefs couldn't even sell out there super semi in a 25,000 seater against another kiwi opponent. deadest shameful.

the Franchises only make money because the wage bill is paid for directly by the NZRFU. which is going to change when the new Super 15 starts... Franchises will now pay for there own players.

The provinces wont die... there to ingrained in the system to do that... whether they go semi-pro for a while or not... they will still be around... super rugby however... there at the limit of expansion.... if the crowds dont improve the NZRFU will have to give it the boot.

Well i dont know which "two current" board members you were talking to, but as of yesterday that is total horsesh*t.... there was near universal approval of the expanded Super comp... the provinces know where their bread is buttered...

There is already plans in place for a 6th team, or a relocated 5th team if the highlanders dont pick up their act... they will tho.

Explain to me how, if the NPC is more popular than the Super comp, why it still gets better crowds and tv viewing??? The drop if views these last few years have been all about two much rugby.. that is starting way to early in feb while the cricket is on... The expanded super comp will still have the big game feel as well as the "Provincial" feel as most games will be against other NZ teams.. its up to the likes of the Blues and Highlanders to improve there teams to get interest in them again...

And what happens if the big five, or the big five and one other pull out of the NPC all together? they hold over 2/3rds of NZs population base.... which comp will the brodcasters back? The NZRU knows this.. ALL the provinces know this... there is simply not enough money for more than a half dozen professional teams in NZ... How many International class players will stay in NZ for a "semi pro" comp??? not many... then the real money maker.. the All Blacks are in trouble... if they lose... Rugby is in real trouble.

And your proof that super rugby is dying is that the Chiefs couldnt sell out the semi? two weeks after they sold out the stadium to the same team???

Coastie

Juniors
If you can't see that the NPC was collapsing under it's own weight, and this may well stop many Kiwi players from heading to Europe I don't know what to tell you.

The ANZC was never going to be viable with fourteen teams. However when Provinces like Hawke's Bay and Manawatu are reporting a profit then the comp is hardly collapsing under it's own weight.

Waiting on some reason to be applied and the comp gets put back to nine teams in each division with auto promotion/relegation between divisions. Might have been just the slight tweak the old NPC needed.

As for S14, yeap the Force are rolling in dough judging from the noises coming out of the West.

Latest is O'Neill is now pushing for Aussie involvement in the NPC, that goes down and I'm calling Union 0 League 1 over the ditch.

Latest posts