What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anderson to shift Anasta

Dave Q

Coach
The Mack said:
After re-thinking how the teams would look, i think the best balance for our team would be:

1. Anthony Minichiello
2. Amos Roberts
3. Iosia Soliola
4. Chris Flannery
5. Joel Monaghan
6. Jamie Soward/Ashley Harrison
7. Josh Lewis
8. Danny Nutley
9. Craig Wing
10. David Shillington
11. Nate Myles
12. Craig Fitzgibbon
13. Braith Anasta

14. Johnny Doyle (dummy half)
15. Nigel Plum (lock)
16. Anthony Tupou (second rower)
17. Chris Beattie (prop-forward)

1. Shaun Foley
2. Shaun Kenny-Dowall or David Pangai
3. Vince Mellars
4. Sam Perrett
5. John Williams
6. Ashley Harrison/Jamie Soward (Anthony Watts while Harrison is injured)
7. Mitchell Pearce
8. Charlie Tonga
9. Heath L'Estrange
10. Shane Shackleton
11. Mickey Paea
12. Lopini Paea
13. Mitch Aubusson

14. George Ndaira (dummy-half)
15. Setaimata Sa (lock)
16. Frank-Paul Nuuausala or Willie Brown (prop)
17. Steve Meredith (second row)

Only issues are that with our excess of locks (six in total - Anasta, Flannery, Harrison, Sa, Plum, Aubusson), but with ideally 2 locks in a team (one starting & one on the bench), both Harrison & Flannery are forced out of position, into the halves & centres respectively. For our 2008 season, our priorities should be trading the two worst performing of Anasta, Harrison & Flannery for a genuine experienced halves option (for either FG or PL), & a strike centre, with the remaining of the three playing at lock. Next priority is maybe finding more youthful options instead of Doyle, Beattie & Tonga. All are okay players, but are coming off contract & ageing, if we could replace those 3 with younger equivalents, it'd be ideal. Only other change i'd make is letting Monaghan go only if we can find ourselves a faster but still safe & strong winger.

Harrison is a strikne anything.

Given its the new year, I'll conjer up a team.

1. Wing
2. Minichello
3. Perret
4. Soward
5. Soliola
6. Harrison when available otherwise Lewis
7. Plum
8. Flanners
9. Shackleton
10.Shillington
11 Myles
12 Fitsgibbon
13. Beattie

I can guarantee you that this side will never make the paddock.

Some points of note:

Mini requires a relatively easy path back into the full season games. I worry about workloads and fullbacks so Ive shifted him out wide. He can relax out there for a few rounds. Does anybody have a problem with Wing at fullback? I think he would explode down there. Few peope can swerve or are as evasive as Wing in full flight. He can kick, catch and does a nice versace. He loves the ball. No whinging about being left out of the run on side either.

Perrett and Soward, key centre positions. Id worry about their defence, but on a good day, I reckon there is no defensive line they couldnt liberate. Speed and guile.

Are these forwards too rubbery?

Who will be the new feared and respected manic hardman? Who will smile at the face of fear?

D

Deleted member 10972

LOL.

Off that strange looking side, another issue is the off contract players at the end of next year.

Soliola, Sa, Pearce, Lewis, Tonga, Fitzgibbon, Wing, Mellars, Beattie, Meredith, Nuuausala, Brown, Doyle, L'Estrange, Monaghan

IMO, we must prioritize, re-sign the key youth of the club. So first things first, Sa, Soliola, Pearce, Lewis, Nuuausala must be re-signed. They are the blokes we HAVE to keep no matter what. Next in line is the two clybmen, Wing & Fitzgibbon. Fitzy will stay for cheap, bleeds the Red White & Blue, but Wingy...depends on 2007. If he performs, keep him. If he fails, jettison him. The rest are pretty expendable, i wouldn't mind trading Brown, Tonga & Beattie for three younger firebrand props, Doyle for a younger crafty hooker in the Farah/Payne mould (who can battle it out with Ndaira for that bench spot), & Monaghan for a FASTER winger. I'm not too fussed over Meredith or L'Estrange, Mellars i'd like to stay though.

Dave Q

Coach
The off season is like a tide.

Its no secret Wing was in some pretty serious discussions with other clubs in the back-end of last season, the Panthers and Souths spring to mind. But somewhat regretfully, his best days are probably over. Its OK, his rare talents was enjoyed by all.

Even when he joined the Roosters and Souths were re-admiited I continued to admire and enjoy his game from afar. Besides, we were oft too busy raiding your reserve grade to notice!

I'll give you six free signings as a hypothetical:

1. Asotasi and Kidwell. What a fearsome duo to have up-front! That will balance the loss of Moz (just).

2. Luke Priddis, a smart and crafty hooker. Goes all day gives his heart.

3. Thats 3, mmmm, no, you do not want Hodges back I suppose.

4. Leading tryscorer- Nathan Merritt. Didnt he play with the jets? You must have been close to signing him. Hes probably on soup rations at Souths!

5. Danny Buderis, a truly elite player. That'll release more funds for Joey to gorge out of the Knights.

6. Half back worries? No problem, lets welcome the genuine talent of Johnathon Thurston.

Its good to see some open-mindedness on the forums.

melon....

Coach
Dave Q said:
The off season is like a tide.

Its no secret Wing was in some pretty serious discussions with other clubs in the back-end of last season, the Panthers and Souths spring to mind. But somewhat regretfully, his best days are probably over. Its OK, his rare talents was enjoyed by all.

Even when he joined the Roosters and Souths were re-admiited I continued to admire and enjoy his game from afar. Besides, we were oft too busy raiding your reserve grade to notice!

I'll give you six free signings as a hypothetical:

1. Asotasi and Kidwell. What a fearsome duo to have up-front! That will balance the loss of Moz (just).

2. Luke Priddis, a smart and crafty hooker. Goes all day gives his heart.

3. Thats 3, mmmm, no, you do not want Hodges back I suppose.

4. Leading tryscorer- Nathan Merritt. Didnt he play with the jets? You must have been close to signing him. Hes probably on soup rations at Souths!

5. Danny Buderis, a truly elite player. That'll release more funds for Joey to gorge out of the Knights.

6. Half back worries? No problem, lets welcome the genuine talent of Johnathon Thurston.

Its good to see some open-mindedness on the forums.
You know how many contract talks Wing had with other clubs last year?? Zero.

D

Deleted member 10972

I'd love to see someone like Robbie Farah, Cameron Smith or Aaron Payne (crafty hookers) partnering Wing as a rotating hooker duty instead of Doyle, along with someone like Brad Tighe or Phil Graham (strike centres) instead of Flannery, someone like Steve Turner or Anthony Quinn (high workrate wingers) on the wing instead of Monaghan, guys like Mick Weyman & Kade Snowden (young tyro props) instead of Beattie & Tonga, & someone like Jason Smith (experienced half) instead of one of Harrison or Anasta. That would balance out the team far better.

Dave Q

Coach
melon.... said:
You know how many contract talks Wing had with other clubs last year?? Zero.

Well I heard that Wing had quiet talks with other clubs (and from more than one source). Obviously they didnt come to anything.

Its not a crime.

Dave Q

Coach
The Mack said:
I'd love to see someone like Robbie Farah, Cameron Smith or Aaron Payne (crafty hookers) partnering Wing as a rotating hooker duty instead of Doyle, along with someone like Brad Tighe or Phil Graham (strike centres) instead of Flannery, someone like Steve Turner or Anthony Quinn (high workrate wingers) on the wing instead of Monaghan, guys like Mick Weyman & Kade Snowden (young tyro props) instead of Beattie & Tonga, & someone like Jason Smith (experienced half) instead of one of Harrison or Anasta. That would balance out the team far better.

Smith is a big call. Id prefer an Orford or a Gower

D

Deleted member 10972

Dave Q said:
Smith is a big call. Id prefer an Orford or a Gower

I'd prefer someone cheap. There wouldn't be much cash left under the cap.

Dave Q

Coach
You could have scored Ben Walker for a song if you willing to risk his off-days. I remember Ben Rogers at half.

No player was worse-suited but we'd run out of options by then.

Its an important position. Gowie can pass a ball and it can land within a few cm's of target 30 metres away. They say he's training well but thats strange because he only had a operation a few weeks ago.

What about Minichello as a dark horse at half?

D

Deleted member 10972

Dave Q said:
You could have scored Ben Walker for a song if you willing to risk his off-days. I remember Ben Rogers at half.

No player was worse-suited but we'd run out of options by then.

Its an important position. Gowie can pass a ball and it can land within a few cm's of target 30 metres away. They say he's training well but thats strange because he only had a operation a few weeks ago.

What about Minichello as a dark horse at half?

No thank you, we need a REAL half. No more locks, centres, wingers or fullbacks. Over our 2 grades, we only have THREE halves, all are young. We can afford to have two younguns in PL, but in FG we need an experienced half. Harrison will do for the meantime.

Dave Q

Coach
I can appreciate those thoughts.

Souths have needed a real half and real forwards for about 16 years!

I think Ash is a better lock than anything else, but like true champions, he can turn his game to most positions and be considered most satisfactory.

I heard he an average season last year by his own high standards, I wonder what went wrong?

Dave Q

Coach
Soward played at some dizzy heights in PL but its a step up for continual first grade.

Still, stranger things have happened.

Lets hope Ash can find his form and make the back end of origin.

Someone said he wants back in at the rabbits, but he may find the going tough these days, especially on his pre-injury form.

An elite player at full stretch.

Johnny Bravo

Juniors
The Mack said:
After re-thinking how the teams would look, i think the best balance for our team would be:

1. Anthony Minichiello
2. Amos Roberts
3. Iosia Soliola
4. Chris Flannery
5. Joel Monaghan
6. Jamie Soward/Ashley Harrison
7. Josh Lewis
8. Danny Nutley
9. Craig Wing
10. David Shillington
11. Nate Myles
12. Craig Fitzgibbon
13. Braith Anasta

14. Johnny Doyle (dummy half)
15. Nigel Plum (lock)
16. Anthony Tupou (second rower)
17. Chris Beattie (prop-forward)
My mail is that this will be the side to take the field in round 1.... Or very close to it.

1. Anthony Minichiello
2. Amos Roberts
3. Iosia Soliola
4. Chris Flannery
5. Joel Monaghan
6. Mitchell Aubusson
7. Jamie Soward
8. Danny Nutley
9. Craig Wing
10.Chris Beattie
11. Anthony Tupou
12. Craig Fitzgibbon
13. Braith Anasta

14. Ashley Harrison (utility)
15. Another undecided prop (Tonga, Brown, M Paea etc etc)
16. Nate Myles (second rower)
17. David Shillington (prop-forward)

Harrison is obviously going to be out for round 1, so another utility/2nd rower will come in (probably Sa). Nevertheless this will be the regular firsts side that will be tried.

No Josh Lewis I hear you say... Believe it. From reports I have heard he has been the least impressive in the off-season, new coach, new standards and no prior relationships are not working in his favour.

Dave Q

Coach
Johnny Bravo said:
My mail is that this will be the side to take the field in round 1.... Or very close to it.

1. Anthony Minichiello
2. Amos Roberts
3. Iosia Soliola
4. Chris Flannery
5. Joel Monaghan
6. Mitchell Aubusson
7. Jamie Soward
8. Danny Nutley
9. Craig Wing
10.Chris Beattie
11. Anthony Tupou
12. Craig Fitzgibbon
13. Braith Anasta

14. Ashley Harrison (utility)
15. Another undecided prop (Tonga, Brown, M Paea etc etc)
16. Nate Myles (second rower)
17. David Shillington (prop-forward)

Harrison is obviously going to be out for round 1, so another utility/2nd rower will come in (probably Sa). Nevertheless this will be the regular firsts side that will be tried.

No Josh Lewis I hear you say... Believe it. From reports I have heard he has been the least impressive in the off-season, new coach, new standards and no prior relationships are not working in his favour.

Oh thats a pretty good side first up.

Of these I'll wear Mini, Roberts, Wing, Tupou & Shillington. Ash will take some time to get back (he's worth it).

I wonder how Soward will cope with a full season in firsts? He'll be targeted immediately, but he has almost unlimited ability if he can handle it. I'm looking forward to his game. We are having a scuffle over the Souths forum but I think J Smith will play and the battle of the half-backs Soward v Smith should be full of vigour, guile and plenty of cheek!

Anasta has to really step up. Theres no giant forwards, he'll have to take some hits. He's in for a solid smashing too.

Moz has gone, that will effect the side. All things considered, I wish he was back (albeit not for this game!). Kidwell and Asotasi will be powering into them in defence and attck all game. Roys trick is that he is also a good attacking player like Widders. Hes the best prop in the game and only improving. Fitness will count.

I left Myles out because I think he is close to being an elite player. His signing was a real coup. Souths may have some troubles with him. Wonderful attacker. Anderson will nurture him well.

If the lads cant match the bunnies, especially in the forwards, you are in for a long season.

The rabbits, well they are primed for this match. Its a crtical one for them. Greta expectations and they need a convincing start.

Should be a tremendous game, not to be missed under any circumstances. Everyone should get there.

Good post too I might add.

Johnny Bravo

Juniors
Dave Q said:
Oh thats a pretty good side first up.

Of these I'll wear Mini, Roberts, Wing, Tupou & Shillington. Ash will take some time to get back (he's worth it).

I wonder how Soward will cope with a full season in firsts? He'll be targeted immediately, but he has almost unlimited ability if he can handle it. I'm looking forward to his game. We are having a scuffle over the Souths forum but I think J Smith will play and the battle of the half-backs Soward v Smith should be full of vigour, guile and plenty of cheek!

Anasta has to really step up. Theres no giant forwards, he'll have to take some hits. He's in for a solid smashing too.

Moz has gone, that will effect the side. All things considered, I wish he was back (albeit not for this game!). Kidwell and Asotasi will be powering into them in defence and attck all game. Roys trick is that he is also a good attacking player like Widders. Hes the best prop in the game and only improving. Fitness will count.

I left Myles out because I think he is close to being an elite player. His signing was a real coup. Souths may have some troubles with him. Wonderful attacker. Anderson will nurture him well.

If the lads cant match the bunnies, especially in the forwards, you are in for a long season.

The rabbits, well they are primed for this match. Its a crtical one for them. Greta expectations and they need a convincing start.

Should be a tremendous game, not to be missed under any circumstances. Everyone should get there.

Good post too I might add.
We may not have a massive forward pack, but what we don't have in size we make up for in ticker. Danny Nutley is a true workhorse in both defense and attack, as is Beattie. We have a workhorse defensive 2nd rower in fitzy and arguably one of the best attacking 2nd rowers in the game tupou, along with Anasta if he hits his stride at lock. Add Myles and Shillo to the equation along with Harro or Sa we're looking pretty good IMO.

Without question Asotasi is the best prop in the game, but without him I don't think there is anything particularly brilliant in the souths forward pack that we cannot match. If Asotasi doesn't have a brilliant game, I don't think we have anything to worry about there. Our real strength is our backline and if we can lay a good platform in the forwards I think we should put in a really good show.

I can't wait till next weekend to see how we go against the tigpies in the foundation cup, I think if our young blokes can gel in with the senior blokes we can go a long way this season.

Choppies

Coach
actually we do have a few guys with size.
Frank-Paul Nuuasula, Mickey and Lopini Paea.
From watching them train they look like angry bastard mongrels. They look very hungry from what ive seen.
Meredith is also a big boy.

Snoop Shark

First Grade
I was very impressed with braith's comeback game up at gosford playing lock!

Great move by ando....Anasta is ready for a big year!!!