What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew Johns given SOS to help Parramatta Eels halves Chris Sandow and Ben Roberts

jimmy77au

Juniors
THE Eels have turned to rugby league's greatest halfback Andrew Johns to save Chris Sandow.

At 10am yesterday, Johns arrived at Parramatta Stadium to give the Eels out of form $550,000 halfback a masterclass.

It came after an SOS call to Johns from Eels coach Steve Kearney.

The Daily Telegraph was there when Johns went through a series of drills with Sandow and Parramatta five-eighth Ben Roberts.

Johns appeared to be showing Sandow what lines to run and when to pass. It was advice the young Sandow seemed to happily digest as Kearney watched on from close range.

Sandow has struggled this year and even spent an embarrassing week with Wentworthville, Parramatta's feeder club in the NSW Cup.

Johns is without doubt the game's best halfback, some suggest he is the greatest player to ever play rugby league. Kearney and Johns were both unavailable for comment yesterday.

Pressure on Parramatta, Kearney and Sandow eased considerably after the club's exciting 29-20 win over Cronulla at Parramatta Stadium on Monday night. The Eels were behind 20-6 at half-time.

"Obviously Steve Kearney wanted 'Joey' to come and work with the halves," said Parramatta's greatest five-eighth, Brett Kenny. "Joey' has been doing for this for a few years now at several clubs.

"There's no doubt he can add something to the halves and help them out. I am sure the club would have been happy after the win (over Cronulla) but I can understand why they got him there. Hopefully 'Joey' can give them an edge and something they can use in their next game."

Kenny was a tad miffed though at the use of Johns over the Eels legendary halfback Peter Sterling.

"You'd think they would have used 'Sterlo'," Kenny said.

"The club doesn't seem to want to use their former players."

Former Test forward Gorden Tallis still believes the Eels can still make this year's finals.

Speaking on the club's website, Tallis said: "Parramatta have got the players who can do it - they've just got to produce consistently and play to the best of their ability.

"It's not too late for them if they all start aiming up.

"Teams have done it from that position before."

There is a growing push for Johns to be named an Immortal later this year.

Parramatta has the bye this weekend before confronting Souths next Saturday night at ANZ Stadium.

The Eels confirmed the retention of young guns Matt Ryan, Ken Sio and Joseph Paulo this week.

Slow news day - lets run to Brett Kenny for something controversial. Anyone who listens to Sterlo on Triple M - Sterlo has made it clear 3,000,000 he;d never want to be a coach, and is far happier being a commentator.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-and-ben-roberts/story-e6frexnr-1226387932719

Wally21

Bench
Why cant Bert ever shut up???

My father and uncle had a fair bit to do with Burt when he first came to grade. They both said lucky he could play football, cause he was no rocket scientist. Still one of my favorite all time players though.

Gronk

Staff member
Re: Joey helping us out. Awsome. Nothing but good can come from it.

Re: Brett Kenny. STFU twit.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I think while Joey has a ton of natural ability, I've never seen him make any difference to any of the halves he has coached.

whall15

Coach
I think while Joey has a ton of natural ability, I've never seen him make any difference to any of the halves he has coached.

It's the same in any sport, the players with great natural ability hardly ever make even decent coaches.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
For the few successes Johns has had with halves there are so many failures. Like Mortimer.

It's not easy to teach vision and feel of a game. Johns had it, Sterlo had more of it, neither can teach it to Sandow.

born an eel

Bench
wasn't that Sandows downfall early in the season, trying to play to a script and not having the confidence to play what was in front of him?

Hopefully Johns is only teaching things like tactical kicking and technical skills not about game plans.

Agent Mulder

Bench
It's the same in any sport, the players with great natural ability hardly ever make even decent coaches.

I agree to a point, James Hird is doing very well with the Bombers this year though and he was a Bomber great.

Wally Lewis was not much chop as coach either was Brad Fittler.

Latest posts