What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew Symonds

lockyno1

Post Whore
aussies1st said:
Can Hodge play reverse swing. Infact calling any batter that can play reverse swing baggy green on offer. I really hope Clarke is fit he wasn't too bad until he got a ripper.

Hodge has played county cricket for years, so I assume he can play reverse swing a bit better!

Yes I agree that saying Symonds is a failure in test cricket is absurd. If players were judged on their first two tests, many of the greatest players of all time wouldn't have achieved what they have. Likewise with bowlers. Everyone knows Shane Warne got belted in his first test. Lucky selectors persisted with him. Matt Hayden wasn't given a fair go early either, and look at what he has achieved over time given an opportunity.

Clarke should still be in the side but I don't think his fitness is worth the risk. I mean if he reinjures himself, it costs Australia a lot by having one batsman short, and we can't afford that kind of weakness. We need as many players as possible.

If an Australian batsman has to go, it will be and should be Katich.

I'd be looking at D.Hussey before Jaques too. He has a rare average for someone who hasn't really been recognised by international selectors or the press, and got 200+ recently.

Would also throw Bichel into the mix for bowlers. Has played well for the Aussies and is a very handy batsman too.

blackfriday

Juniors
both husseys are incredibly talented batsmen but mike has made 3000 in a county season twice. if symonds curbs his tendency to nail every bowler out of the ground when he passes 15 he could be a class act.

Hass

Juniors
I thought that dropping of Simon Katich for Andrew Symonds in Sri Lanka 2004 was one of the most disgusting selection decisions of the last 25 years.

However...

Anybody who says Symonds is a proven failure at Test Level is kidding themselves or simply not looking objectively at the facts.

He has only played 4 innings at Test Level and I remember quite clearly that he got two very dodgy calls from the Umpires in those matches.

Hanging a man on that is like convicting a man of a murder in Wagga Wagga simply because he drove through the town a couple of weeks before.

I don't know if Symonds is the answer or not - but I certainly wouldn't write him off.

Cheers.

aussies1st

Staff member
Well dropping Katich in SL was a big mistake. Symonds making his debut over there is very tricky for him. Also Katich was in good form and is a good player of spin. This time Symonds will play in the England where he has played a fair bit for his County side and Katich isn't in great form. Also the left handers are having trouble with Reverse swing and Symonds is right hander so that also works in his favor.

supersaint

Juniors
Symonds is in superb form for Lancashire at present and Australia's loss is Lancashires gain.

I hope he doesn't get picked and you play with the same rabble of batters you have at present because barring Ponting have been shocking.

Good job ol Warney's still knocking around or you would be in serious trouble by now.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
supersaint said:
Symonds is in superb form for Lancashire at present and Australia's loss is Lancashires gain.

I hope he doesn't get picked and you play with the same rabble of batters you have at present because barring Ponting have been shocking.

Good job ol Warney's still knocking around or you would be in serious trouble by now.

like the trouble you guys have been in for the last 16 years

fish eel

Immortal
Just how good is Andrew Symonds?
Almost 200 first class matches, an average of 42. Solid, but not great. (30yr old)
Brad Hodge - 160 odd matches, ave 46 30yrs
Mike Hussey - 170 odd games, averages 52, 30 yrs old
Phil Jaques - 60 matches, averages 54 26 yrs

Symonds has made a flying start to this stint at Lancashire, 3 centuries in three games.

But Hussey and Jacques are also scoring a ton of runs, and have done so over a long period of time.

Also, keep in mind as yet none of jacques, hussey or symonds have been called into the test squad, so Brad Hodge still has the inside running.