What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew Voss' Commentary

Does Andrew Voss need to be institutionalised?

• Total voters

Jim Rockford

Bench
Does anyone else miss Andy Raymond? I thought he was a guy who was enthusiastic and passionate about the game in his commentary but still managed to control himself.
Another thing, I don't know if you are aware but Andy is the nephew of Steve Raymond who you might remember from the old ads for the Speedway back in the 70s and 80s with his catchphrase "Be There!!!!"

Another thing, I don't know if you are aware but Andy is the nephew of Steve Raymond who you might remember from the old ads for the Speedway back in the 70s and 80s with his catchphrase "Be There!!!!"

He’s Mike Raymond’s son. ex Motor racing commentator... he’s the fella who did the parramatta speedway ads I recall?

There’s a podcast called v8sleuth and they had Andy on it talking about his career and his old man. One comment was that he never wanted to be the “front man” ie main commentators, knew what he was good at and made the most of it. Talked about Mike a lot too, who sadly passed away a few years ago.

Last edited:
For me, I enjoy Voss the most. This season it’s actually a lure for me to watch a neutral game.. if Voss is on I’m more likely to watch “Gold Coast versus Manly” etc...

Of the main commentators I’d rate them.

Voss
Russell
Smith
Warren
Thompson
Speed
Ginnane

I really like Matt Russell, he’s pretty straightforward, no forced “hype” and doesn’t linger over controversial decisions like some others do (it put me off Smith for a long time).

Ray Warren is long in the tooth but I grew up listening to him, as well as Graeme Hughes and Rex Mossop. I have no problems with Ray at all, and like Voss, if he’s calling a game I’m more likely to watch (like Parra vs Manly last Sunday vs Fox).

The one that irks me is Ginnane. He sounds like a VFL commentator... the over-the-top moments with cliches and the like. If he was calling cricket he’d likely call the ball “the rock”. He’s a Sydney “James Brayshaw”.

Aside from these guys, my favourite of all time..

Darrell Eastlake. Absolutely one of a kind.

Last edited:

Jim Rockford

Bench
He’s Mike Raymond’s son. ex Motor racing commentator... he’s the fella who did the parramatta speedway ads I recall?

There’s a podcast called v8sleuth and they had Andy on it talking about his career and his old man. One comment was that he never wanted to be the “front man” ie main commentators, knew what he was good at and made the most of it. Talked about Mike a lot too, who sadly passed away a few years ago.
Yep, my mistake. I got the 2 of them mixed up.

Fangs

Coach
Boss commentator we have. Actually loves the game and knows what he is talking about.

Willie Ray

Bench
Nailed it. If he says 'Fox League' once he says it 50 times per game. We know what we're watching FFS.

And does anyone else get so excited by trivialities such as a 'falcon' ?
Exactly, or if a ref or a touchie slips over he loses his f**king mind....
and he constantly uses the fumbleball phrase 'best on ground'.....makes me cringe every time,
Warren Smith and Matt Russell for me.

souths_reborn

Juniors
Nailed it. If he says 'Fox League' once he says it 50 times per game. We know what we're watching FFS.

And does anyone else get so excited by trivialities such as a 'falcon' ?
I can put up with the excitement but what gets me is how he goes on and on about it. A guy getting hit in the head with a ball is funny for about 5 seconds - move on!

souths_reborn

Juniors
Exactly, or if a ref or a touchie slips over he loses his f**king mind....
and he constantly uses the fumbleball phrase 'best on ground'.....makes me cringe every time,
Warren Smith and Matt Russell for me.
Matt Russell is really underrated. I don't know why the don't give him more games to be honest. He knows how to call to the action without creating any fake excitement. I'm also glad they got rid of Brenton Speed. That guy was horrendous!

souths_reborn

Juniors
The one that irks me is Ginnane. He sounds like a VFL commentator... the over-the-top moments with cliches and the like. If he was calling cricket he’d likely call the ball “the rock”. He’s a Sydney “James Brayshaw”.

Aside from these guys, my favourite of all time..

Darrell Eastlake. Absolutely one of a kind.
I'm not the biggest Ginnane fan either. He has an absolutely horrendous voice for commentary. He sounds like a bleating sheep when he gets excited. I also think that what gets people is unnecessary hype. The only guy who could get away with it was Darrell Eastlake. With him though, it was a case of him being the right man, for the right game at the right time. The way he hyped up origin worked because it was a new concept. Another thing to remember too is that he only ever really commented on origin as channel 10 held the rights back them. I think if we had to hear him every week he would get on people's nerves.

Does anyone else miss Ian Maurice?

kdalymc

Bench
Keep in mind, we have the spectacular "acrobat tries" we have now, thanks in no small part to Vossy & Phil Gould on Boots'n'All asking for the corner posts to no longer be deemed "out" if the ball carrier hits them.
wasnt that the dumbest rule in the history of all sports on the planet

I'm not the biggest Ginnane fan either. He has an absolutely horrendous voice for commentary. He sounds like a bleating sheep when he gets excited. I also think that what gets people is unnecessary hype. The only guy who could get away with it was Darrell Eastlake. With him though, it was a case of him being the right man, for the right game at the right time. The way he hyped up origin worked because it was a new concept. Another thing to remember too is that he only ever really commented on origin as channel 10 held the rights back them. I think if we had to hear him every week he would get on people's nerves.

Does anyone else miss Ian Maurice?

The Bear!

He was aweesome!

He commentated in the days where they'd do it "in shifts".... Ie There'd be two main callers, interchange etc & I remember he used to interchange with Graham Hughes. And the Bear called one of the most famous moments in Rugby League History - The Steve Jackson Try in the 1989 Grand final...

Big Darrell did so some club games for Channel 9 in their early days... they got rights for Saturday games when CH10 had the sunday game. It was a replay format - condensed to about 40 minutes of League plus 20 minutes of ads...

davi

Juniors
Big fan of Voss, much prefer him to the other guys on Fox who get way too over-excited and shouty as someone else mentioned above. On the flipside we've got Matt Thompson and "Salty" (whoever that is) on Nine, who sound like the same person and both have zero charisma. Voss for the win.

When Ray Warren retires Matt Thompson will be his successor. I don't mind Thompson, but my preference would be Andrew Voss as well. I read a couple of years ago that Voss wants to go back to Nine too, but it won't happen.

When Ray Warren retires Matt Thompson will be his successor. I don't mind Thompson, but my preference would be Andrew Voss as well. I read a couple of years ago that Voss wants to go back to Nine too, but it won't happen.

I used to listen to the 6 tackles with Gus podcast last year (with James Bracey) but went off it earlier this year. I gave it another go recently and Matt Thompson was hosting in place of Bracey - gotta say I was really impressed with him, and far more than Bracey.

He came across really genuine, insightful, and really got "the best" out of Gus, where I found Bracey would more provoke Gus and send him spiralling down a rabbit hole of a rant about whatever... Bracey was the journo where Thompson is the "sidekick".. I know lots of folk don't like Gus but I think he's got the best league mind and a brilliant storyteller - you just need him not to go off on one.... Thompson does that well.

There's not many Callers who can also host interviews well... Voss is one and Smith used to do the "You can take me now" podcast (which has since disappeared). Thompson surprised me.

davi

Juniors
I used to listen to the 6 tackles with Gus podcast last year (with James Bracey) but went off it earlier this year. I gave it another go recently and Matt Thompson was hosting in place of Bracey - gotta say I was really impressed with him, and far more than Bracey.

He came across really genuine, insightful, and really got "the best" out of Gus, where I found Bracey would more provoke Gus and send him spiralling down a rabbit hole of a rant about whatever... Bracey was the journo where Thompson is the "sidekick".. I know lots of folk don't like Gus but I think he's got the best league mind and a brilliant storyteller - you just need him not to go off on one.... Thompson does that well.

There's not many Callers who can also host interviews well... Voss is one and Smith used to do the "You can take me now" podcast (which has since disappeared). Thompson surprised me.

Its funny but I actually don't mind James Bracey in the podcast. Bracey also goes well with 100% Footy and Freddy and the eighth and does his homework. The Sunday Footy Show would also be better with Bracey rather then Erin Molan. Bracey can seem to guide the conversation along but tends stay out of the way and let the experts have their say. Matt Thompson is ok though, I don't mind him and he isn't making me switch off taking over for Bracey.

I generally think alot of people on here are very fickle about the commentators though. The only one I have ever really hated is Ray Hadley. The guy can't commentate and has on the odd occasion shoved a political opinion in your face while commentating. It's not surprising that Andrew Voss can't stand him.

moffla

Bench
I like Vossy. He’s quirky, knows the game inside and out and doesn’t shove opinions down your throat (Brenton Speed comes to mind with this one...)
He can be a bit irritating when he gets over excited but all in all I think he’s our best commentator.