What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another domino has been played I think

I hate the 7 tackle rule. Is it not enough to surrender 20 metres of territory?
It's just another example of the NRL's reactive approach to rule tinkering.

The "Billy Slater rule": Everyone's kicking it dead to take Billy's kick returns out of play so we need to come up with a rule to stop it.

The "Alfie Langer rule": Alfie's too good at getting in under the ball and stealing it in a tackle so we need to come up with a rule to stop it.

The "Benny Elias rule": Benny's too good at raking the ball back in the play the ball so we need to come up with a rule to stop it.

f**k me it's getting beyond a joke.

And don't get me started on this year's new one: The "It's a try. Oh, sorry, no it's not rule".

The seven tackle rule has always been a bit suss. I get it if a team kicks from outside the oppositions 40m line to just kick it dead. I cannot fathom the reason to give the opposing team a bonus when the attacking team is going for a try and knock it out. It's like "lets penalise a team for being positive in trying to score", bizarre.

Ozzi_78

First Grade
We were the pioneers of the 7 tackle rule. Anyone remember who made that try saver vs cowboys?

carinashark

First Grade
I think we are running the ball mor on the 5th tackle. The ref is letting the attack get up close to the try line. It’s that extra bit of room that’s ideal for the grubber. Come on Wade get that kick going. We also have Tracy ,Buba and SJ. We have Chad but he is unlucky. We need players ready to kick and players ready to go after the ball.

King Ben

Juniors
Makes it hard to celebrate any try. Risk it gets taken off a moment later.
This is one case where the commercial-free coverage doesn't work.

I assume the rule change was based on how the NFL rules on touchdowns. A team scores, celebrates, TV coverage cuts straight to commercial. By the time the game is back, the refs have confirmed or overturned the touchdown and before you know it the team are kicking their field goal.

It just don't translate as well when there's 90 seconds of dead air that the commentators have to fill while the bunker do their checks.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
I actually don’t have a problem with the way they award the try then go to the bunker if anything untoward shows up. f**k going to commercials then coming back to the result of the decision. I feel like it adds to the intrigue for the viewer watching the process. It means that the human error element is pretty much out of the equation also. I feel the continuity of the game is actually improved by the bunker starting the process while the kicker prepares to take the kick,

Sharkman

Juniors
This is one case where the commercial-free coverage doesn't work.

I assume the rule change was based on how the NFL rules on touchdowns. A team scores, celebrates, TV coverage cuts straight to commercial. By the time the game is back, the refs have confirmed or overturned the touchdown and before you know it the team are kicking their field goal.

It just don't translate as well when there's 90 seconds of dead air that the commentators have to fill while the bunker do their checks.

except when that 90seconds is filled by brain dead fgwits like Brandy and Blocker.

I’d rather watch 90s of commercials on new reality tv shows.

King Ben

Juniors
except when that 90seconds is filled by brain dead fgwits like Brandy and Blocker.

Are the commentary ranks so dire that we need Blocker twice a week? Surely not.

King Ben

Juniors

Are the commentary ranks so dire that we need Blocker twice a week? Surely not.

coolumsharkie

Referee
The seven tackle rule has always been a bit suss. I get it if a team kicks from outside the oppositions 40m line to just kick it dead. I cannot fathom the reason to give the opposing team a bonus when the attacking team is going for a try and knock it out. It's like "lets penalise a team for being positive in trying to score", bizarre.

Before the rule, the kickers would just hit and hope. Didn't matter if they hit the dead ball line making it a boring play.

Before the rule, the kickers would just hit and hope. Didn't matter if they hit the dead ball line making it a boring play.
Ok so some one like Joey, or Locky, would just kick a ball hoping it falls right, not trying to get a try off it?
That's a pretty broad statement

Eion

First Grade
Wasn’t the 7 tackle designed to stop not only the deliberate kicking dead, but also the bomb lottery?

The stats would tell if it’s achieved the latter, but I feel like it did. I’m ok with it.

coolumsharkie

Referee
Ok so some one like Joey, or Locky, would just kick a ball hoping it falls right, not trying to get a try off it?
That's a pretty broad statement

Hahaha those two probably not, however there was also the kick the ball dead scenario, which happened frequently. I think there's plusses and minuses for the rule but it could do with a tweak somehow.

Edit: Should have read Eions post first.

Latest posts