What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another NRL judicial shambles

SharkWings

Juniors
I agree with you but maybe this balances out missing games in the finals series that some say should be worth more than a regular season game. If a player is suspended for the finals series or during the finals series its a pretty big deal to them and their team....maybe missing trials is a fair trade off?

Thoughts?

Shark

Bench
OK, so let's draw up a schedule and grade games...

Trial = Half a match
Normal Round Game = 1 match
SOO = 2 matches
Prelim Final or International = 3 matches
Qualifying Final = 4 matches
GF = 5 matches

I mean, it's a crock. Don't offend and you won't get suspended.

Can't blame the Cowgirls though, as stated the NRL should close the loophole.

Dread

Juniors
Why's this news?

Every club does it every season. It's hardly a new development. It's been happening every year for as long as I can remember.

Shark said:
OK, so let's draw up a schedule and grade games...

Trial = Half a match
SOO = 2 matches
GF = 5 matches

I mean, it's a crock. Don't offend and you won't get suspended.

Can't blame the Cowgirls though, as stated the NRL should close the loophole.

Ok so what happens if you cop a 1 week suspension in the prelim final and your side makes the GF. Do you still miss the GF? If so then you would be serving a 5 match suspension for a 1 match offence.

Shark

Bench
waltzing Meninga said:
Ok so what happens if you cop a 1 week suspension in the prelim final and your side makes the GF. Do you still miss the GF? If so then you would be serving a 5 match suspension for a 1 match offence.

I was demonstrating how stupid it was.

NRL Comp suspensions should apply to NRL round matches and finals.

Rep matches should be separate. If you get suspended for an offence in a rep match, your penalty should be missing a rep match...Ideally...:?

Inferno

Coach
Are we doing the same thing with Hutch?

He was suspended in our second last game against Souths for a couple of weeks wasn't he?

i_Luv_Birdie

Juniors
Shark said:
Trial = Half a match
SOO = 2 matches
GF = 5 matches

i agree the system has to be re done and yes urs coukd work but wat wuld happen if a player got a 2 or 3 week suspension going into the grand final...he would still have to serve a penalty but if you put him out of the gf and its a 5 match suspension...as some1 said above but it is halfway so mayb they wuld do sumhin like rounding up on ponits if it means missign a big game
wat would they do to work around thost types of issues

mr_sharks

Juniors
White Poiner said:
Is hutch still suspended from the sharks training?

Nope i don't think so...I believe he was due back at training in the new year (ie when they got back in January)....is that right SE?

wittyfan

Referee
Suspensions should be served for NRL games and representative fixtures only.

Not for Mickey Mouse games.

thoughts ?

missing finals games should be a greater deterrent to foul play at the most crucial times of the season, not a reason for leniency when opposition teams have potentially more to lose as a result of foul play

don't do the crime if you can't do the time

no way on earth a player should be able to serve out an nrl suspension in a lower grade or different competition

Frenzy.

Immortal
Inferno said:
Are we doing the same thing with Hutch?

He was suspended in our second last game against Souths for a couple of weeks wasn't he?

It was the last game of the rounds ve Souths and he got one week

From memory he had injured his shoulder in that game as well.

The Sharks in all their wisdom then DID NOT select Hutch for the semi vs St George if memory serves correctly. I remember posts about it at the time.

So I think Inf you are correct. He still has a game to serve and should do so in the Mollymook trial.

I'll stand corrected on it though

Special K

Coach
I dont think it matters if the sharks "picked" him or not he served the game against the dragons. He is free to play in the trials...

waltzing Meninga said:

:lol: You don't get to play the first 16 minutes of the game!

Frenzy.

Immortal
Special K said:
I dont think it matters if the sharks "picked" him or not he served the game against the dragons. He is free to play in the trials...

You're right K

found this on the Sharks site

HUTCH OUT OF DRAGONS CLASH & GALLOWAY TO FILL VOID

06.09.05 12:56 Age: 135 days
Sharks rugged front rower Hutch Maiava will submit an early guilty plea today in relation to a striking charge stemming from last weeks game against Souths and will be ineligible to play against St George Illawarra in the first round of the finals.

However even considering his unavailability due to the resulting one-match suspension, Maiava would have been next to no chance of playing in Saturday nights clash due to a serious shoulder injury suffered late in the match with the Rabbits.

ali

Bench
spirit of league said:
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,17868316-23214,00.html

another player (carl webb) serving his NRL supension in pre-season trials. almost as good as the TBA scandal.

you can't really blame the cowboys when every team would do exactly the same. it's the NRL's responsibility to close this and other loopholes which allow clubs to make a mockery of the judiciary and their findings.

Sort it out !

What a joke! Why can't they fix this? Still, nothing tops Hopoate serving his 3 game suspension in 2000, by not going to the world cup to play for Tonga.

Suspensions should be served in the competition where the offence took place. Imagine Harry Kewell missing the soccer world cup because he was sent off in the last game of the year for Liverpool. In Rugby League, this could happen.