What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another obscure one for the interested

Frenzy.

Post Whore
The Long Serving Player or Veterans' Allowance was this year reduced to 8 years (don't worry about what the NRL.com site says I got this from an impeccable source)

Paul Gallen is in his 8th year in 2008.

As we just signed him for 3 years we have certainly gotten ourselves a bonus there.

Special K

Coach
100k and can only be used on one player.. I read somewhere it can only be used on a player once surely that must of been wrong

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Special K said:
100k and can only be used on one player.. I read somewhere it can only be used on a player once surely that must of been wrong

Don't think so K. Part of the reason for the reduction (10->8) is to encourage players to stay on. If they limited it to one player it'd defeat the purpose I think. I also don't think any team had gotten into the position of having 2 players fall under the rule.

I'll check it though.

The Dodger

First Grade
just confirming, the player has to be in first grade for 8 years right?

or is it from the start of Premier League?

Frenzy.

Post Whore
DPG said:
just confirming, the player has to be in first grade for 8 years right?

or is it from the start of Premier League?

First grade -> 8 years -> must be consecutive.

So someone like Dykes who is in his 10th year as a Shark doesn't qualify as he had a "time out" so to speak.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Special K said:

You're half right Stabber, you can only claim 1 player or $100,000.00 in total.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Card Shark said:
NRL - they are all heart!

Well it's a significant amount in the scheme of things. $100k off the cap is another player's contract. Youngster, whatever.

Card Shark

Immortal
CHAOS said:
Well it's a significant amount in the scheme of things. $100k

Can't agree - $100K aint much in todays game (1/40th of salary cap??) & it is SFA spread over more than 1 player.

I would use the money to top up a long serving player's salary to beat off approaches from rival clubs. e.g. we are on the limit of our salary cap & our best player, who keeps getting better (Gallen for instance) contract is up & rival clubs offer nearly twice as much as we are paying him on his current contract. He wants to stay but it would be mad to considering the difference in money. So we chip in 100% of the 100K & he probably stays.

Yes 100K is gunna help & may be the difference but that leaves none for player 2 (Greg Bird?) who we have nutured for many years & he is getting better exponentially. Oh well, even though Birdy has been at the club for a while & is all of a sudden a possible aussie rep, now is the time to release him??

I think the loyalty has gone from the game & more has to be done to retrieve it. $200 or $300k per year for this would be better & I think 8 years is still too long.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Card Shark said:
Can't agree - $100K aint much in todays game (1/40th of salary cap??) & it is SFA spread over more than 1 player.

The average salary with the cap is therefore $160k which does make $100k significant. 62.5% of the average is a good save. Also remember the minimum wage of a contracted NRL player is just $37.5k. Some may surprised at how little MANY NRL players actually get, especially the "run of the mill" young ones. Contracts of between $40k and $80k are still very much in common but I guess we really only ear about the big dollars you allude to.

Card Shark said:
I would use the money to top up a long serving player's salary to beat off approaches from rival clubs. e.g. we are on the limit of our salary cap & our best player, who keeps getting better (Gallen for instance) contract is up & rival clubs offer nearly twice as much as we are paying him on his current contract. He wants to stay but it would be mad to considering the difference in money. So we chip in 100% of the 100K & he probably stays.

Already happened that way. So it still clears up $100k from the cap in whichever way suits the club.

Card Shark said:
Yes 100K is gunna help & may be the difference but that leaves none for player 2 (Greg Bird?) who we have nutured for many years & he is getting better exponentially. Oh well, even though Birdy has been at the club for a while & is all of a sudden a possible aussie rep, now is the time to release him??

a) he's already got a renegotiated deal b) there are other ways to top him up within the system e.g. the $50k Star Player allowance. Bird has been well looked after and will continue to be.

Card Shark said:
I think the loyalty has gone from the game & more has to be done to retrieve it. $200 or $300k per year for this would be better & I think 8 years is still too long.

Won't get the level of loyalty you and I would like back until you get rid of money. That's an easy equation. Also won't happen.

Bundy

Juniors
CHAOS said:
Also remember the minimum wage of a contracted NRL player is just $37.5k.

I thought the minimum wage was raised this year. $50k? I'm sure I remember hearing or reading something about it.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Bundy said:
I thought the minimum wage was raised this year. $50k? I'm sure I remember hearing or reading something about it.

That's possible Bundy, I do recall talk of a raise but don't recall any confirmations. Might be on the RLPA site.

Still $50k when we hear all about 1/2 mill here and 1/2 a mill there is not much for what they do.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Bundy said:
Nah I know. But it's a damn site better than $37.5.

thats shocking.

Nothing on the RLPA website about it. Last article was April 2006!

I've sent them off an email asking them

Macca

Coach
I think that dispensation should be raised too.

The salary cap is apparently going to be raised 100k, I think they should raise the exemption to $200k.

Latest posts