What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another PNG Team for QLD in 2014

mikail-eagle

Bench
If this is meant for another Forum than maybe the mods can move it there.

Anyway this could be just talk from a politician but its about a 2nd PNG team entering the QLD Cup in 2014.

http://www.postcourier.com.pg/20111101/sport04.htm
Olga’s plan for team in Qld Cup

WESTERN Highlands Governor Tom Olga says he is spearheading moves to have a rugby league team from his province to participate in the Queensland Cup in Australia.
If everything goes well as planned, Mr Olga said, a Western Highlands side will play in the Queensland Cup competition by 2014. He told the camping PNG Kumuls at Highlander Hotel on Saturday night that plans were also under way for a multipurpose stadium to be built in Mt Hagen.
Later on Sunday afternoon at Kagamuga Oval the Governor told players, representatives from PNGRFL, spectators and the media that a Western Highlands side will participate in the Queensland Cup in three years time. The announcement was made before and after the grand final of the Western Highlands Governor’s Cup match between City Rangers and Kui Raiders last Sunday.
The governor did not elaborate what plans were actually underway or who was approached at Australia’s second most competitive competition after the NRL, but vehemently assured that his province can field a competitive side. He said the side will be comprised of players from the lucrative Western Highlands Governor’s Cup tournament.
The Governor’s Cup off season competition is a brainchild of former journalist Nikints Tiptip and is into the second year running. The inaugural winners last year were Kondo Easts who travelled to parts of Queensland to play friendly matches with several feeder clubs.
This season’s winners the Kui Raiders will tour Orange City in New South Wales and other cities. Orange and Mt Hagen have sister city relations since 1985. The local grand final was played as a curtain raiser to the test match between PNG Kumuls and Fiji Batis.
Governor Olga asked the players to play the game according to the rules and display true sportsmanship as a lot of money was spent on promoting the code in the province. He said the Governor’s Cup competition is fully sanctioned by the PNG Rugby Football League.
He said a multipurpose stadium will be built to host various international fixtures in Mt Hagen as it was a central location in the populous Highlands region. Mr Olga said the multipurpose stadium project is exclusively contained in the K1.4 billion Mt Hagen City Redevelopment Plan.
This move was supported by PNGRFL general manager Albert Veratau and former Kumul coach Mark Mom.

If only we could harness the raw talent in this nation better. From what I saw of the PNG boys in Auckland last year they have the physical build to be really good players. Maybe if the NRL had a better second tier competition that combines the best teams of the QLD cup & their NSW equivalent we may see some really good footy at these levels. PNG would then go some way to have a better national side in the absence of a NRL team.

rlv

Juniors
There should be some sort of program to get PNG players trialling with NRL clubs. So many are good enough to play first grade in NRL

Tavurvur

Juniors
I read this with interest - wonderful idea, but there are some issues.

For those of you who follow PNG in general, and PNG Rugby League more specifically, you may be aware the current PNG Prime Minister Peter O'Neill has publicly voiced his support for a PNG team in the Queensland Cup by 2015, and has stated that PNG NRL team is the end goal (by 2020).

What Governor Olga is proposing is a Queensland Cup team made up of only players from his Province - Western Highlands. Not such a good idea Governor - for obvious reasons.

In stating this, Olga's public statement may force the PNGRL and the PNG Government to be proactive and take the lead here in terms of fielding a PNG team (not provincial team) in the Queensland Cup by 2014.

And it is Election year next year in PNG - so Governor Olga may just be saying the right things to tug at the hearts of his people. And rugby league is the blood that makes those hearts beat in the Western Highlands.

jim_57

Staff member
Getting the best juniors in the sights of NRL scouts is the best possible way to build PNG into a team capable of competing with the best. One or two teams in the QLD Cup would be a great ove aswell but players need to be discovered when they are developing (16-20) not when they are playing for a senior team in the QLD Cup.

Ideal situation/set-up barring an NRL team could be 2+ QLD Cup teams with both running U-16 and U-18 Junior sides in the QLD junior comps (Connell and Meninga cups?).

Another idea I think could work would be WA Reds using mostly PNG juniors along with what locals they can for the first few years after their entry, not sure if the logistics would be workable but there is certainly potential in the idea. Perth won't have enough locals juniors to supply an NRL side for years realistically and PNG has hundreds of thousands of juniors playing with very few if any being picked up by NRL clubs.

Poul

Juniors
I would have thought there should be closer relationships between the Northern Pride and PNG Rugby League.
Geographically it makes too much good sense :?

GCCowboy

Juniors
Lets just give them an NRL team, It would be one hell of a ride seeing them in the comp. I'm sure they would generate more press and publicity than any other expansion team.

druzik

Juniors
I can see it now ... PNG get a team in the QLD cup, some of their players get to play NRL .... and they all play for the Kangaroos ... :s

hutch

First Grade
I can see it now ... PNG get a team in the QLD cup, some of their players get to play NRL .... and they all play for the Kangaroos ... :s

A true Papua new Guinean wouldn't do that and besides, that sort of thing hasnt happened before! There are plenty of kiwis brought over from NZ by Nrl clubs and none have played for aus!

Evil Homer

Staff member
A true Papua new Guinean wouldn't do that and besides, that sort of thing hasnt happened before! There are plenty of kiwis brought over from NZ by Nrl clubs and none have played for aus!
Akuila+Uate+RLWC+2008+Semi+Final+Australia+dio06VxIytXl.jpg

hutch

First Grade
Uate, who emigrated to Australia and took up playing rugby league! Completely different scenario (and country)! Not that it makes it right!

Tavurvur

Juniors

To Date:

1) The number of players in the history of the NRL who qualify to play for the PNG Kumuls and Australia, but have selected to play exclusively for Australia equals ZERO.

2) The number of players in the history of the NRL who qualify to play for the PNG Kumuls, have done so, but have also played for Australia equals ONE. (Neville Costigan).

3) The number of players in the history of the NRL, who qualify to play for the PNG Kumuls, and have exclusively played for PNG equals TOO MANY FOR ME TO REMEMBER TO NAME.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Your confusing a Fijian for a Papua New Guinean.
I know he's Fijian, it clearly says Fiji on his kit. Just pointing out that it's not beyond the realms of possibility if the ARL offer enough money, and bonuses for playing Origin etc. Nobody would have ever thought Uate would have switched after his passionate performances for Fiji in the World Cup. I don't want to see it happen, but if a PNG player emerges that is good enough to make the Australia side you can bet the ARL will be doing all they can to poach him.

They all look the same anyway hey poms?

As for poaching, you mean like Rangi Chase? Or Fa'asavalu? Or all the Irish, Scottish and Welsh players England poach on a regular basis. NO PNG produced player has EVER played for Australia. How may players from outside Ingerlund have played for Ingerlund? It's the pot calling the kettle Fijian.

Evil Homer

Staff member
As for poaching, you mean like Rangi Chase? Or Fa'asavalu? Or all the Irish, Scottish and Welsh players England poach on a regular basis. NO PNG produced player has EVER played for Australia. How may players from outside Ingerlund have played for Ingerlund? It's the pot calling the kettle Fijian.
Despite the fact that England's selection policy is absolutely irrelevant here, in no way does selecting players on a residency basis constitute poaching them. The selection of Chase and Fa'asavalu is ridiculous, but I don't think anyone can argue that those players were poached. As for the home nations players, don't you have some sort of problem with Ireland because you don't think they have any Irish players? Yet now they do have Irish players that are being 'poached' by England. You're not a hypocrite are you ECT? :sarcasm:

Last edited:
Despite the fact that England's selection policy is absolutely irrelevant here, in no way does selecting players on a residency basis constitute poaching them. The selection of Chase and Fa'asavalu is ridiculous, but I don't think anyone can argue that those players were poached. As for the home nations players, don't you have some sort of problem with Ireland because you don't think they have any Irish players? Yet now they do have Irish players that are being 'poached' by England. You're not a hypocrite are you ECT? :sarcasm:
They're not Irish. But they play for Ireland. And then England poaches them. You're the hypocrite when you're using a thread about PNG to talk about Uate but deflect any focus on England's recruitment of players from other countries. But we all know why you lot think this double standard is acceptable. A Polynesian or Melanesian player couldn't possibly be Australia, right? Uate is an Australian resident and has been for a hell of a lot longer than Chase or Faasavalu. And not only that he's an Australian RL junior. What's Chase's junior club? Or for that matter Heighington or Reed's? Poms love to throw their ignorant insults around when it comes to Australian players but delfect any attention paid to their identical behaviour and to the buying of players from overseas like Chase and Faasavalu. And then dare to call other people hypocrites.

Evil Homer

Staff member
They're not Irish. But they play for Ireland. And then England poaches them. You're the hypocrite when you're using a thread about PNG to talk about Uate but deflect any focus on England's recruitment of players from other countries. But we all know why you lot think this double standard is acceptable. A Polynesian or Melanesian player couldn't possibly be Australia, right? Uate is an Australian resident and has been for a hell of a lot longer than Chase or Faasavalu. And not only that he's an Australian RL junior. What's Chase's junior club? Or for that matter Heighington or Reed's? Poms love to throw their ignorant insults around when it comes to Australian players but delfect any attention paid to their identical behaviour and to the buying of players from overseas like Chase and Faasavalu. And then dare to call other people hypocrites.
I don't care about what England do, I don't support England as I have told you many times. And as I also explicitly stated, picking residency players isn't the issue. I don't have any problem with the likes of Civoniceva playing for Australia. The problem with Uate was that he was already an established Fiji player and would presumably have continued to represent his nation had he not been coerced by the ARL with the lure of bonus payments for Origin. If you want to use an example of England poaching players, Danny Brough was poached. Poaching involves deliberately targeting and stealing a player who is already committed to another nation.

Latest posts