What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another quality player to england

Iafeta

Referee
badav said:
The kiwi's seem to head there alot younger than the aussies in general. Is it that they are attracted by the $$$, or the lower standard of competition??

I'm not sure what Paul's background is (Maori I think), but a lot of it hinges on the Kolpak ruling. Players who can claim passports from Fiji, Tonga or Samoa are not classed as overseas players. Hence clubs can pay overs to get them, and still have room for an Australian or two. It obviously makes them highly marketable to the British clubs.

Iafeta

Referee
The Colonel said:
Correct, however with that rule changing next year we will probably see a lot coming home.

Is that rule changing, or is it simply an urging from the ESL to clubs not to exploit the Kolpak ruling. I find a lot of the ESL judgments are more moral guides rather than rules and regulations in respect to their quota allotments.

Skinner

Coach
Maoris are certainly not exempt as they have NZ Passports. Mixed race players may
be able to have their Island passports which does exempt them from the quota.

Squeezed out ?
No his overrated, once qualified for finals in 11 yrs coach prefers to spunk wads of the salary cap on D Fitzhenry, R O'Hara, Junior Burger (Ronald McDonnell's offspring) and J Morris is the reason he left. Shrewd retention and recruitment from Tim Shine and his right hand man with the poker sunnies Ronald McDonnell

fourplay

Juniors
They will all count towards the quota from next year... it is being implemented slowly though. Teams used to be able to get around the quota with the Kolpak's and EU passports but the ESL are putting an end to this, unless some disgruntled players decide to challenge the new rules in court.

Lime_Green

Juniors
He tried to play hard ball and wanted 300K a year from us I think, and no doubt somewhere in the 250K region from the Tigers.

He held out for the $$$ and was forced to the UK in the end to get them.

Sad to see another decent NRL player in his prime go.

But the ESL is paying overs for him and many Aussies and NZ'ers they are picking up. Midrange talent going for $300-400K+. How can the NRL compete with that?

tiger_nick

Bench
Lime_Green said:
He tried to play hard ball and wanted 300K a year from us I think, and no doubt somewhere in the 250K region from the Tigers.

But the ESL is paying overs for him and many Aussies and NZ'ers they are picking up. Midrange talent going for $300-400K+. How can the NRL compete with that?

if the raiders could have got him at $300k they should have jumped at it.

he wanted to stay a tiger and we wanted to keep him. however that meant either hodgo going or both ben galea and fitzhenry going. the club were hoping for the later but it couldnt get agreed. if fatz was simply chasing the english pound he would have signed with huddersfield months ago

quality player who will be sorely missed.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Lime_Green said:

Judging by previous imports and Giants current wage structure, he will probably be on about $220k at the most mate.

ali

Bench
The weaker English clubs are building nicely for 2008. At the rate it is going, the Super League will be as high a standard as the NRL very soon, possibly even 2008.

The NRL does need to raise the sallary cap! Or more importantly, raise the importance of Australia vs NZ Tests. Have a 3 Test series, mid season, with everyone available. The game and the players will make a motza, and the marketability of the players will rise. Hence they'll be less inclined to go offshore for a decent wage.

Munky

Coach
scuzzi said:
Luke Williamson also looks like heading offshore as manly look like they cant fit him under the salary cap

More that he is below average at best and Manly don't want him.