What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another silver lining (if you can call it one)

jed

First Grade
Despite the fact that we were up against a quality opposition away from home, yesterday we showed the critics that we have the ticker to win, and didn't falter in the final 10 minutes.

On top of this, we did it without arguably our 3 greatest players this season: Joel Monaghan, Ruben Wiki and Michael Hodgson.

This should not be seen by management as a reason to make them a substandard offer, nor to let them go. But it has proven that, despite the doomsayers, we will still roll on, hopefully as a force to be reckoned with.

Neither Wiki nor Monaghan will be with us permenantly - Ruben's only got a few more seasons left in him, and although he's in such fine form, even if he re-signs with us we'll only get a few more years out of him. And what then? And Joel's a tryscoring machine! Prior to his injury, he was mounting a serious challenge to the tryscoring record this season. And even with a few weeks off, he's still in a good position to continue on his return. But he's not going to be with us permenantly either.

The sky will not fall if they don't re-sign. We have depth in our lower grades that will rise to the occasion, given the opportunity. Already this season, Miller, Rothery, Campese & Carney have been given a chance, and none have disgraced themselves. And Kahler was given his first opportunity in the lime green. Waiting in the wings are Milne, Chalk, Mundine, Fransiscus and Kouparistis, among others.

Edwahu

Bench
Hodgo, Wiki and Monas were our best 3 players this season because of their consistency. Thats what most of the rest of the team badly lacks.
If they learn to peform consistently next year and we chuck those three in + Weyman, Smith and a more experienced Carney we would be a top 4 side. If we lose Wiki and Monas then we will still be a fair bit off the very best sides no matter how well the rest go.

I believe that Hodgo is back this week, Monas is a chance and then Muss is back next week.

Some tough decisions facing Matty. I'd assume Hodgo would come into the side for Miller, Monas for Boogs (although he'd probably drop Boogs to the bench in place of either Carney or Rothery :cry: ).

Speaking of which, how good is Rothery? What about that try-saving tackle on Webcke which saved a certain four pointer. He put in a great little grubber kick too when all was lost and forced a repeat set.

Someone's said it before and they were right, he's our next Furner. Tough little bastard.

legend

Coach
Love Rothery. He is a champ in the making. I sincerely hope we hang onto him.

Does anyone in the comp hit the line as hard as Josh Miller?

Raider_69

Post Whore
Miller, Rothery and Kahler are all get prospects
not to mention Weyman and the Boss :mrgreen:

raidersfan

Juniors
Campese, Rothery, & Miller are fantastic and I rate them highly, but that cat Campese on the other hand was OVERrated!!!

opps I ment I rate CARNEY not "Campo". I bet 9/10 people here would pick Carney in their squad than Campese if you could only pick one.

Paullyboy

Coach
Excuse my igorance boys as I very rarely hear commentary when seeing Raiders games, but who is the one with the green headgear, on Sunday he impressed me a lot! Ive got a feeling its Rothery but not sure

Raider_69

Post Whore
greeneyed said:
Ummm.... he is fantastic, and rated highly, but he is overrated?

my point exactly
seriously raiderman, lay off campo, what did you expect from him?
a stand out? remember all of his games have been with Brad Drew in the team

i think it was Rothery paully

thickos

First Grade
Excellent post Jed, and you make a good point. It would be disappointing if the 'big two' left but the great thing about this club is that the spirit lives on and someone will fill the void. Look at Rothery and Miller, I didnt pick any of them for first grade this season but now they are regulars and do the team proud. They are a credit to our organisation.

Fingers crossed Ruben and Joel stay as it would make us even stronger. But the new wave is coming and as Sunday showed the kids have what it takes.

woodgers

Bench
oohhhh, I can't resist.

While I think you raise some good points Jed, it is going to take a hell of a lot more than a victory over the Broncos minus Tallis, Berrigan and Maguire to convince me. This week those exact same players young players of ours are likely to struggle to put away a Tigers outfit that have had over a hundred put on them in two weeks.

If sport has taught me anything it is that you need a good mix of youth and experience to win anything. Even though Joel is young, I think the outside backs look up to him as an experienced player already. As for Ruben, he is not only experienced, he is the inspirational leader of these kids whether he has a (c) next to his name or not. I would also go as far as to say he carries the hopes of Raiders supporters a lot of the time.

As much as I have been saying keep the faith, if we lose these two I have no doubt we will be straight back to where we were when Laurie, Furner and Mullins left at the same time. I don't want to see us throw away the momentum we have built.

We get final offer on these 2 guys, so I hope the club throws everything including the kitchen sink at these two. If we can keep them, even for 2 years we can win it and those young kids can come through properly without copping floggings each week. In the past I was desperate for some outside backs to be purchased. I would now be happy to keep these two players, to lead the youngs forwards and backs respectively.

As Martin Edwards the former Manchester United Chairman once said 'You don't win out with kids'. Unfortunately he is on the money.

Anonymous

Juniors
I imagine throwing a kitchen sink at someone would hurt a bit. Perhaps we should just give them money instead?

greeneyed

First Grade
We wouldn't have final offer on Wiki and Monaghan (unless that is written in their contracts which would be unusual). That generally only happens if you give freedom to negotiate before the anti tampering deadline expires and place that condition on them.

On WIN TV news tonight, the coach called for the anti tampering deadline to be shifted to after the end of the season. The club seems resigned to losing Wiki and Monaghan. Elliott said the club will be entering the market aggressively after 30 June and will be going after high profile/big name players.

Raider Azz

Bench
Timbo said:
I imagine throwing a kitchen sink at someone would hurt a bit. Perhaps we should just give them money instead?
:lol: :lol: That sounds like something that dumnaduma fellow would say.

jed

First Grade
woodgers, you are definitely correct with what you say, but I think you've missed my point.

Essentially, I think we showed that we are capable of beating quality opposition without Wiki or Monaghan.

Yes, Brisbane were missing Berrigan, Maguire & Tallis, but Brisbane at the best of times are a tough opposition. And their side still contained seasoned Origin stars Tate, De Vere, Lockyer, Webcke, Civoniceva and Carroll (among others). We were also missing Wiki, Monas & Hodgo, arguably our best and most consistant players this season. And yes, the tigers are hurting after 160 minutes of whoop-ass, but they are without Scott Prince, one of their chief playmakers. We also have played the last 2 games with a lot more confidence than I've seen all season. The bulldogs game I think we were very hard done by with regards to the referee's decision, and some dubious no-try decisions on Sunday kept us from extending our lead even further.

There is no doubt that losing either or both Joel & Ruben would hurt us, but what Sunday showed me is that we're not going to be fighting Manly & The Warriors for the wooden spoon next season.

And yes, there has definitely got to be a good mix of youth and experience, but Woolford, Croker and Davico have all been with us since the first half of the 90's. And McLinden's in his 7th season. Not to mention Hindmarsh and Schifkofske who all played a number of years at other clubs before joining us. And with our management pledging to be active in the player market this season, we can't speculate as to who we will end up buying, and how much experience they will bring to the side.

I have my fingers crossed that all this talk is just posturing by their dickhead manager to raise their pay packets (not that I seriously believe it).

Latest posts