What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any chance of a banner-related favour at this week's game?

LazyDreamer

Bench
Just wondering if anyone is up for a favour? By way of a banner/sign at the Poosters game?

A workmate retired today after 35 years in the same job. Rabid Dragons supporter (man, I'm gonna miss our chats!), nicest, most unassuming bloke you'd ever hope to meet. Left with little-to-no fanfare, as is his way.

Seriously nice bloke - has traveled the 600kms round trip to many a Dragons game, but such is the guy, nobody would even notice him. The toppest of top blokes, with a top wife and the general trials & tribulations with rearing 3 kids to their now-balanced adulthoods.

Just wondering if it wouldn't be too big a favour to ask if a Red & White Army member couldn't whip up a simple sign with "Happy Retirement George Burnsie" on it? Due to prior commitments neither he nor I can be at this weekend's game, but I know he'll be glued to the screen for the entire broadcast.

Would be a lovely and subtle touch to mark the end of a career that wanted no real fuss made over it.

Dragon Dave

Bench
If I were you I'd shoot an e-mail to the club and see if there's anything small they can do. This week is an Easts home game so might be tricky but worth a shot...might get a "Happy retirement Burnsie" over the PA or something.

The Major

Bench
How are they going to hear a PA announcement over the tele Daveo?

Does he know youve tee'd something like this up?

Last edited:

cleary89

Coach
Yeh ok I'll do it. Gives me an excuse to drive down from Newcastle, and also a reason to make my first banner.

For all you guys that have banners, wanna give me a list of stuff I need. Dimensions? You guys use sheets? What you use for poles?

St. Linnane

First Grade
Wood.....

In all seriousness - go and grab two 1.5 metre pieces of 2.54cm diameter dowel from Bunnings.

cleary89

Coach
Sweet. And just an old sheet and paint? Read how you guys said after the warriors game, need waterproof paint, but as this is just a one off wont matter ay?

LazyDreamer

Bench
Yeh ok I'll do it. Gives me an excuse to drive down from Newcastle, and also a reason to make my first banner.

For all you guys that have banners, wanna give me a list of stuff I need. Dimensions? You guys use sheets? What you use for poles?

Are you schidting me? Mate, if you're serious, I'll track you down next time I'm at a game & shout you the whole time. To say I really appreciate it is selling short what this means.

How are they going to hear a PA announcement over the tele Daveo?

Does he know youve tee'd something like this up?

Nope - he's got no idea, but his wife will be clued in.

If you knew what a legend George is, you'd appreciate why this not only brings a humble tear to the eye. But it also demonstrates (even though no demo is needed) why Dragons fans are more than just a bunch of footy supporters.

Bloody awesome. :thumb

cleary89

Coach
Are you schidting me? Mate, if you're serious, I'll track you down next time I'm at a game & shout you the whole time. To say I really appreciate it is selling short what this means.

Thats not necessary, but yeh I'll make sure I'll be there with the banner. Might not look too professional (first attempt at a banner), but ill do my best to make sure it gets on tv.

St. Linnane

First Grade
Sweet. And just an old sheet and paint? Read how you guys said after the warriors game, need waterproof paint, but as this is just a one off wont matter ay?

You only need waterproof paint if it going to rain, that was the problem in NZ - Check the weather forecast.

Use an old sheet or go to lincraft and grab some calaco (sp). Make it just narrower than your arm span for holding the banner.

Make it about 1.2m high - gives you 30cms of pole to hold.

The Major

Bench
I say you make it as big as the home sweet home banner!

haha, good on you mate, noble gesture.

Lucky i remembered to use waterproof paint for HSH indeed. I'll even loan ol mate her poles if he manages to whip up Burnsies banner to that size. Bare in mind youll need to find a willing friend to assist in holding the thing up.

big pat

Coach
Lucky i remembered to use waterproof paint for HSH indeed. I'll even loan ol mate her poles if he manages to whip up Burnsies banner to that size. Bare in mind youll need to find a willing friend to assist in holding the thing up.

offer steel dragon a couple of beers.

cleary89

Coach
Banner is taking shape, a lot harder than I anticipated. Obv not big enough for HSH poles though lol.

Should be like 1.7x 1.2 or so.

Dragon Dave

Bench
Not much has been said about Bennett's 600th appearance as coach. An amazing effort, and if anyone else is keen, a big "Benny 600" banner or something similar would be great.