What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any news on our new CEO

boardlumps62

Juniors
What is the criteria for CEO at the Dragons.
"You must be blind"
Ok so Craig Young meets that one hands down. Why you ask.
Can anyone remember when he coached the Dragons Steve Morris on the wing waving his arms wide open spaces no one home and what did Albert do? Must have been the 80's I think now what did dumb Albert do?
No way would he be CEO

Bench
Before they appointed Johnson I was told Maurice Ieema was the favourite to get the job.
He was on a St George Facebook page and he was asked if that was true, he didn’t say yes or no and just posted a smiley face
Take that for what it’s worth

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
What is the criteria for CEO at the Dragons.
"You must be blind"
Ok so Craig Young meets that one hands down. Why you ask.
Can anyone remember when he coached the Dragons Steve Morris on the wing waving his arms wide open spaces no one home and what did Albert do? Must have been the 80's I think now what did dumb Albert do?
No way would he be CEO

Morris had already left St. George (1987) by the time “Albert” became first grade coach (1989-90).

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
The Dragons will continue to plod along just happy to participate - that is the Illawarra way.
Actually if you look at the “Illawarra way” in greater detail, you’ll see that the Illawarra standalone team were actually quite progressive in their short time in existence..

They went from playing inside a crappy old greyhound track to developing that area into a stadium & entertainment complex..

When cash ran out from the initial leagues club they developed their own..

Player wise they went from incorporating the best of the local teams to attracting incumbent internationals & SOO players..

They also developed a large number of their own players to become internationals, particularly in the back half of their existence..

Not to mention had the ARL had an 8 team finals series for a 16 team comp as we do now, they would have landed in the finals nearly 50% of the time during that period..

We can only wish that our current management did things “the Illawarra way”

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Actually if you look at the “Illawarra way” in greater detail, you’ll see that the Illawarra standalone team were actually quite progressive in their short time in existence..

They went from playing inside a crappy old greyhound track to developing that area into a stadium & entertainment complex..

Player wise they went from incorporating the best of the local teams to attracting incumbent internationals & SOO players..

They also developed a large number of their own players to become internationals, particularly in the back half of their existence..

Not to mention had the ARL had an 8 team finals series for a 16 team comp as we do now, they would have landed in the finals nearly 50% of the time during that period..

that crappy little greyhound track was a favorite haunt of mine, had many a good win there thanks for the memories .... ...

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
that crappy little greyhound track was a favorite haunt of mine, had many a good win there thanks for the memories .... ...
Back when I was a kid they hadn’t yet introduced ticket scanners to get in to WIN & you’d have to collect a token from the ticket booth to put in the turnstiles you get in..

One time I pocketed the token and jumped the gate.. Still got it and it’s got the greyhounds on it..

Oh, and I was wearing an onion on my belt. It was the fashion at the time..

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Ok so whoever the coach was believed in the forwards keeping the ball to themselves no vision to spread it wide.

TBF, Saints’ wingers in Albert’s time as coach weren’t all that flash. Morris’s replacement (Wilfred Williams) wasn’t all that flash and a young Ricky Walford hadn’t found his feet in first grade at that point.

YoHadrian

Juniors
I like this bit

It is expected that Johnston will continue as a director – a position he held before beginning his second stint as CEO 15 months ago after WIN took a 50 per cent stake in the club.

"The past 12 months as CEO of St George Illawarra has been a challenging yet enjoyable experience," Johnston said. "I have made this decision to focus on my family and the farm back home in Dunedoo.

So you're going to be a director from your farm at Dunedoo. Nice (non) work if you can get it.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I like this bit

It is expected that Johnston will continue as a director – a position he held before beginning his second stint as CEO 15 months ago after WIN took a 50 per cent stake in the club.

"The past 12 months as CEO of St George Illawarra has been a challenging yet enjoyable experience," Johnston said. "I have made this decision to focus on my family and the farm back home in Dunedoo.

So you're going to be a director from your farm at Dunedoo. Nice (non) work if you can get it.

There has been drought in regional NSW, which has been ongoing for quite some time. Perhaps working as a club director isn’t as “all consuming” as a CEO?

YoHadrian

Juniors
There has been drought in regional NSW, which has been ongoing for quite some time. Perhaps working as a club director isn’t as “all consuming” as a CEO?

Oh I'm well aware that most directorships are essentially no show jobs with minimal effort required except to vote on things however the old 'concentrate on my family' thing is the most well worn excuse for ph@rking off from a corporate & political position ever.

yes yes all those premiership trophies are proving hard to dust!

BLM01

First Grade
Oh I'm well aware that most directorships are essentially no show jobs with minimal effort required except to vote on things however the old 'concentrate on my family' thing is the most well worn excuse for ph@rking off from a corporate & political position ever.
100% agree as is the "homesick" excuse as far as players go.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
yes yes all those premiership trophies are proving hard to dust!

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2F2016%2F10%2F02%2F18%2F06%2Fcutters.jpg

r0_5_2095_2030_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

And you do realise St George never won anything when they didn’t have Illawarra in the fold, either as a catchment area or JV partner?

Coffs dragon

Bench
Not directed at you personally Coffs but the whole concept of ‘one side versus the other’ is part of the problem with our club. It’s a marriage we are stuck with so let’s get on with it.
Witt I really don't believe the fans are divided or take sides in the JV marriage. It is one team now and will remain that way as SGI Dragons.
However, the problem seems to be at management level that have agendas & power struggle issues.This is certainly an ongoing problem & could be responsible in our culture.
For the Joe blow fan it's about supporting our team & being proud.