What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any other Canberra supporters here?

Nugby

Juniors
Alright, I've heard it referred to as CCAE and my godfather, Peter Walker, played for their union team, the killer bees or something, but yeah, it would have been a while. Yeah, I'm always talking to the older folks in my family who grew up here and moved to Sydney and it seems like nothing keeps it's name here forever. I practically have to give them the address of a club to indicate where I went out on the weekend. Still, I can't imagine ICBM, upstairs Insomnia on Northbourne, was every anything but the worst place to spend a Saturday night. Got dragged along and spent half my time watching the cricket.

G

gorilla

Nugby said:
Alright, I've heard it referred to as CCAE and my godfather, Peter Walker, played for their union team, the killer bees or something, but yeah, it would have been a while. Yeah, I'm always talking to the older folks in my family who grew up here and moved to Sydney and it seems like nothing keeps it's name here forever. I practically have to give them the address of a club to indicate where I went out on the weekend. Still, I can't imagine ICBM, upstairs Insomnia on Northbourne, was every anything but the worst place to spend a Saturday night. Got dragged along and spent half my time watching the cricket.

Back in the 70s the Private Bin was the meatrack - pretty squalid once most people had a skinful.

I was a southern boy - Curtin, Deakin Yarralumla (altho I lived in a # of inner-northern burbs), so the place to go was the Boot & Flogger - ahh there was a bar..... I can't regale in any justification the times there and the spotty nature of the place. I lived in a squat in Kingston (as well as a house just near the Manuka car park) just down the road - ended up working there (and many other places) 'Course the uni bar was sumthin else on a summer's afternoon too.
Like may times of one's youth, one has to have others of the same experience and vintage to do full justice to reminisence.

Nugby

Juniors
That's it, the Private Bin. Yeah, I'm probably a bit young to have a laugh at how bad the clubs in Canberra were, as I don't have any better options just yet than to go to them and look forward to places like the King's Cross Hotel when I'm back in Sydney. Figures that my favourite, Toast, is closing down. They'll probably throw some techno crap there.

Kignston nowadays is characterised by places like Lot 33. Door charge, one room, over-priced drinks and the occassional big money DJ. I remember walking around for half an hour trying to find a place showing the Bulldogs Penrith game last year and eventually found a pub three blocks away from the main street.

Yeah, Uni Bar on a summer's day will never be found wanting.

Latest posts