What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ANZAC Test Team

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Some will, some won't. Ben/Manu especially grew up in a league environment where playing for the Island nations just wasn't feasible - they didn't play much, not against decent opposition, and Tongans/Samoans played for NZ/Australia for $ and other incentives. So they never considered it, and wouldn't now until the twilight of their careers if ever.

What I'm saying is create an environment where you're not disincentivising playing for Tonga, Samoa, whoever. If they can be paid well enough, someone like Konrad can say bugger it I'll play for Tonga whether the Kiwis want me or not - because I want to play for my family and financially/career-wise I can afford.

The Simonas, Hurrells, Vetes, Lisones, Kasianos, Ah Maus, Katas, Loloheas etc in an ideal world wouldn't even consider playing for NZ now - if they feel like their loyalty is with their country of origin. I'd like to think that can happen.

It could happen, but how many of those guys would chose not to play for PI nations if it disqualified them from playing for NZ later?

Simona is eligible for Samoa, NZ, Australia and was even quoted as saying if he hàd to choose would lean towards NZ. Vete, Lolohea, Lisone are all NZ born and raised.

Matua

Bench
Some will, some won't. Ben/Manu especially grew up in a league environment where playing for the Island nations just wasn't feasible - they didn't play much, not against decent opposition, and Tongans/Samoans played for NZ/Australia for $ and other incentives. So they never considered it, and wouldn't now until the twilight of their careers if ever.

What I'm saying is create an environment where you're not disincentivising playing for Tonga, Samoa, whoever. If they can be paid well enough, someone like Konrad can say bugger it I'll play for Tonga whether the Kiwis want me or not - because I want to play for my family and financially/career-wise I can afford.

The Simonas, Hurrells, Vetes, Lisones, Kasianos, Ah Maus, Katas, Loloheas etc in an ideal world wouldn't even consider playing for NZ now - if they feel like their loyalty is with their country of origin. I'd like to think that can happen.
You're mixing things up a bit here by listing Tongans (Kata and Konrad) with NZ born/raised PIs. Hurrell should play for Tonga full stop IMHO. Same to Kata.

But, and as mentioned above by another poster the other players are all NZ born and bred with Island heritage (excluding Simona who is NZ born but Oz raised and I'n not sure about Lisione). Their country of origin is NZ. I think you're over estimating the number of players who would choose the Island nations.

Re: The match. Man, thankfully all my issues with the team were completely wrong. Johnson was awesome (the Warriors just need Foran and the Kiwi pack and the NRL is in the bag), Hiku was bloody good and Foran was uninjured! :D

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
It could happen, but how many of those guys would chose not to play for PI nations if it disqualified them from playing for NZ later?

Simona is eligible for Samoa, NZ, Australia and was even quoted as saying if he hàd to choose would lean towards NZ. Vete, Lolohea, Lisone are all NZ born and raised.

I'm not sure mate, and the names I used I realise were all speculative. I just think it's worth a conversation to open up possibilities. Some of the guys who are NZ-born may still hold an affinity to play for the islands if they know there's no financial sacrifice, again potentially.

International league can do with more relevance and more nations being consistently competitive would potentially provide that.

Sounds like Kearney met with cherrington, simona and TM Martin last week and told them there's a strong chance all 3 might go on the UK tour at the end of the year. Two others were mentioned as well - Tapine and .... Can't remember his name but he's an ex Jnr kiwis hooker.

Sounds like there I'll be a 24 man squad with a couple of spots open to development players.

Sanchez

Coach
Thats some wishy washy language. 'Strong chance' 'might'. Dont know if id personally be swayed by that

JohnDoe

Juniors
Sounds like Kearney met with cherrington, simona and TM Martin last week and told them there's a strong chance all 3 might go on the UK tour at the end of the year. Two others were mentioned as well - Tapine and .... Can't remember his name but he's an ex Jnr kiwis hooker.

Sounds like there I'll be a 24 man squad with a couple of spots open to development players.

Source? Sounds like the other player you might be taking about is Danny Levi Junior Kiwis Hooker from the Knights, whom has just recently made his first grade debut.

Source? Sounds like the other player you might be taking about is Danny Levi Junior Kiwis Hooker from the Knights, whom has just recently made his first grade debut.

Sorry - found it

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/kiw...naia-cherrington/story-e6frf3ou-1227461858178

Sorry the guy was Sione Katoa

?Me, Marty Taupau, Tim Simona and Te Maire Martin got together with the Kiwis a few weeks ago and they?re looking at us to hopefully go away on tour with them at the end of the year,? he said.

JohnDoe

Juniors
Benji mentioned that about 40 Kiwi players had a meet up with Kearney a few weeks back, wonder who the players were..

lafai

Bench
RTS
Nightingale
Hiku
Kata
Vatuvei
Foran
Benji
Bromwich
Luke
Matulino
Mannering
Proctor
Taumalolo
Moa
Taupau
Harris
Taukeiaho

Eastwood
Brown
Nikorima
Lolohea
JWH
Rona
Vete

Guys like SKD and Whare will probably be fit by then (unless SKD gets proven guilty)

Last edited:

jaseg

Juniors
Would have Simona over Kata and probably Glenn over Brown (though I'm fairly certain Kearney will pick Brown). I'd be surprised if Nikorima doesn't get a debut off the bench at some stage (perhaps even the first game, though Brown in that spot is more likely), and Taukeiaho deserves to get a run at some point too - Rona will push for it but short of an injury (or squad rotation I guess) I can't see him playing. As for Benji.. I have a funny feeling that if Lolohea impresses for the last 6 Warriors games in the halves, he might get overlooked (or even just relegated to backup). Not sure JWH will get picked either, and not particularly fussed if he doesn't make the cut. And Eastwood hasn't had his best season... he might miss out, if there's a better option (not sure I can think of one right now, happy to be corrected)?

There should be another out and out hooker in the squad as well... Levi or Cherrington surely.

Latest posts