What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Pope

deluded pom?

Coach
Will Apple Pope now only play for the Tomahawks for the next two years (a handful of games at best) or will he be allowed to play for the Axemen in 2012 and possibly sit out 2013 if the rift continues?

Lone Ranger

Juniors
Will the AMNRL have a domestic comp next year now they have shown little to no loyalty to thier East Coast domestic players. Sharks were screwed royally, Vipers don't exist, Knights frustrated with all the cancelled games. While the Tomahawks have qualified, little has changed while the USARL advance and in numbers.

That to me is the real question!

clarency

Juniors
My call is that this whole situation will change if the Knights switch. They are the real quality team from the AMNRL, and once they move the house of cards will come falling.

pcpp

Juniors
Could a hypothetical AMNRL collapse affect the US's qualification for the World Cup, since the Tomahawks are apparently a AMNRL sanctioned side?

DINGb@T

Juniors
If any teams leave then the AMNRL will be close to losing the critical mass they need to run a competition at all. But I don't know if anyone should want this to happen. If there's a messy colapse then there's always the chance that the rest of the teams will collapse and be lost to League altogether.

Poul

Juniors
I think the AMNRL now have the bargaining tool of World Cup qualification.

Now that the Tomahawks have made the 2013 World Cup, some players from the USARL may be tempted to defect to the AMNRL, with the prospect of playing in the World Cup.
One would think that players from the Philadelphia Fight, New Jersey Turnpike Titans, and New Haven Warriors , who have AMNRL clubs located nearby would be most tempted.
You'd have to think that some of the Fight and Warriors players, who were USARL Championship finalists, would have made the Tomahawks team for the World Cup qualifiers if selection had been open to all.
I do hope that there is resolution to the AMNRL/USARL split, with compromise from both organizations, and certainly without clubs being lost from Rugby League en masse.

deluded pom?

Coach
I think the AMNRL now have the bargaining tool of World Cup qualification.

Now that the Tomahawks have made the 2013 World Cup, some players from the USARL may be tempted to defect to the AMNRL, with the prospect of playing in the World Cup.
One would think that players from the Philadelphia Fight, New Jersey Turnpike Titans, and New Haven Warriors , who have AMNRL clubs located nearby would be most tempted.
You'd have to think that some of the Fight and Warriors players, who were USARL Championship finalists, would have made the Tomahawks team for the World Cup qualifiers if selection had been open to all.
I do hope that there is resolution to the AMNRL/USARL split, with compromise from both organizations, and certainly without clubs being lost from Rugby League en masse.

Why would you defect to an organisation that has no respect for their own domestic players? Otherwise why weren't more Sharks players selected instead of Bulls players who finished below the Sharks on the ladder. With the AMNRL it's not how you play but who you know that matters.

Poul

Juniors
Congratulations to Apple Pope for winning the award for USA International Player of the year at the RLIF International awards :clap:.

Indelible

Juniors
There's an interview with David Niu in the the latest Rugby League World mag where he talks about the split and future National side selection. Comes across in the interview like he wants to patch things up and possibly pick from both comps.

RedVee

First Grade
if not, the USARL players would have more chance of playing for the USA via an O'seas comp - which is probably out of the question for the majority, being amateur.
I was thinking 2nd tier in UK or Aust, but I wonder if Nui would pick a US player out of a Canadian team?

billy2

Juniors
Two comps are not only a good thing, but inevitable in time.
You probably could go back to one comp next season, but the year after there would be too many sides and you would have to split again.

I predict there will be at least 5 comps in America within 5 years - New England, south east, mid west, california and north west or Hawaii.

Lone Ranger

Juniors
The USARL is making some bg moves and loyal/old clubs ready to jump ship. One they thing they all have in common is none will go back to the AMNRL. no structure, no plan no anything. Clock is ticking for camp Niu.

Evil Homer

Staff member
You probably could go back to one comp next season, but the year after there would be too many sides and you would have to split again.

I predict there will be at least 5 comps in America within 5 years - New England, south east, mid west, california and north west or Hawaii.
They would be conferences, not seperate competitions...

PacificCoastRL

Juniors

I agree. The US is just too big to have teams on limited budgets travelling far and wide at this time. I can see any number of small competitions emerging now, perhaps as many as six or eight. In time though, as the game grows, I feel there will be four major competitions - West coast, Mid-west, Southeast and Northeast - all under one umbrella. You might even see a few of the larger Canadian cities jumping into the fray as well, although that will be farther down the road.

TommyGun

Juniors
Sorry for my lack of knowledge but what's happening with the US domestic competition? From what I can gather from this thread is there 2 separate competitions? Which one do the Tomahawks draw players from?

RedVee

First Grade
The USARL is making some bg moves and loyal/old clubs ready to jump ship. One they thing they all have in common is none will go back to the AMNRL. no structure, no plan no anything. Clock is ticking for camp Niu.

any source for that?