What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Arana Taumata??? Thoughts???

Juniors
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25741975-5018866,00.html

Arana Taumata

Serial NRL bad boy Arana Taumata could get another chance with Wests

July 07, 2009 Wests Tigers are poised to resurrect the career of serial bad boy Arana Taumata, who was just two weeks ago sentenced to community service for his role in a brawl.
The sacked Melbourne Storm player has held talks with Tigers coach Tim Sheens and is expected to sign with the club next week.
The former Roosters and Bulldogs playmaker was chased by a number of clubs but the chance to partner Benji Marshall proved the clincher for Taumata.
Taumata, who has been sacked from four NRL clubs for off-field dramas, will spend the rest of the year playing for Brisbane Easts in the Queensland Cup before linking with the Tigers next season.
The Storm axed Taumata in February this year after the Wellington product was charged with assault.
He was sentenced to three months community service in a Melbourne Court last month.
From all reports, Taumata has worked hard to get his act together and will prove a handy acquisition for the Tigers if he continues on the straight and narrow.
"He has undertaken intensive counselling which has been provided by the NRL," said Taumata's manager Sam Ayoub.
"If ever I have seen a kid who is looking to make up for what has happened in the past it is AJ.
"I see a big future for him."

Do they seriously think he can play under Super Coach and stay Sober??? i doubt it. Hope im wrong.

Thoughts

Last edited:

tiger_nick

Bench
it would be next year as you have the register the contracts with the nrl by june 30th to play this year.

Well, tbh I can't see that much room for him in the team atm.

I'm very happy to run with Gallant @ 1, Benji @ 5/8 and Moltzen @1/2.

Juniors
As halfback or 5/8?
Im sure under sheens he will end up in the back row or Utility. LOL he played 5/8 in NYC. i just hope he doesnt push Banji back to 7.

Other than that I dont care where he plays if he stays fit and sober. He is ridiculously quick with good hands and im sure we would have not paid too much for him given his past and our apparant salary cap problems. Could be a great investment.

blindsiderr

Juniors
i remember this kid when he played for dogs, one of the most promising young 5/8's ive seen in a while, but dose he have much of a kicking game ? and can he tackle ?

ucantseeme

Juniors
The Sharks went through the exact same thing with Brett Seymour AND Reni Matua. A player who has had some serious issues at their previous club and got sacked, then the manager saying "he's changed his ways". But where are Brett and Reni now.

The Tigers can't possibly be looking to make the same mistake. Tim Moltzen is good enough to partner Benji.

Darth Bobo

If nothing else it adds a bit of depth to the halves and unlike the kids we have coming through this one has NRL experience.

If he does get in hot water the story will be about him not learning his lesson etc, as opposed to a blight on the Tigers club itself. As someone has already noted he would have come cheapish so this could turn out to be a good signing.

I know he got cut from Melbourne at the start of the year but did the NRL state that they wouldn't register him for this year?

macnaz

Staff member
Graeme Hughe's rated him , reckons he has plenty of speed and ball skills . We will see i guess.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know he got cut from Melbourne at the start of the year but did the NRL state that they wouldn't register him for this year?
No. The NRL aren't going to take any action like that against him. Not yet anyway (something may happen but nothing has been suggested yet)