What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are EA, Konami and Acclaim jelous????

B_Tiger

Juniors
The amount of e-mails I sent to those bastards asking for a rugby league game is uncountable. All the responses were that there wasn't a market. Now that the game has practically sold out of its first shipment already, it pisses me off that those dumbarses weren't smart enough to come out with a rugby league game 5 years ago. I spoke to the guy at EB canberra and he said all EB's australia wide have sold out and new pre-orders won't be getting the game from first shipment.

I bet acclaim are glad they chose to invest in their marvelous AFL franchise rather then Rugby League. Smart people running those companies! Sidhe and HES deserve success for being smart enough to come out with a rl title. Sorry if this is treading on familiar ground, it just irks me thinking about all that time wasted on non-RL games because people were too stupid to realise RL sells...big time.

Tupac Shakur

First Grade
Yeah i don't see much for people to respond to there champ. I'd rather an Aus/NZ company make it rather than those American companies or wherever their from.

ghoti

Bench
I agree with you, but do remember that 5 years ago, it was the peak of the super league war and there wasn't much of a market. Crowd were down and people were generally turned off the game...although it still would of sold pretty well, an AFL game was a better idea for them at the time.

This year though, is a game producer's dream. Crowds are the highest they've ever been, TV ratings are through the roof and even the RWC is happenin, influencing dis-heartened rugby fans to turn to the league game. It just happens to be the perfect time to release an RL game (although grand final day would have been perfect.)

However, i'm glad the 7 year wait is over...it's about time.

Razor

Coach
B_Tiger said:
The amount of e-mails I sent to those bastards asking for a rugby league game is uncountable. All the responses were that there wasn't a market. Now that the game has practically sold out of its first shipment already, it pisses me off that those dumbarses weren't smart enough to come out with a rugby league game 5 years ago. I spoke to the guy at EB canberra and he said all EB's australia wide have sold out and new pre-orders won't be getting the game from first shipment.

EA have cut all their Aussie games - AFL, Cricket aren't being produced anymore either. Just Rugby now.

But the good ol' EA people on the Gold Coast are totally incompetant anyway.

HBG

Juniors
There was an industry rumour that EA were trying to get in on the act, and help HES with the game. A little bit too late.

I also know that Acclaim did bid for the rights to the game. Acclaim Australia however are no longer a distributor, they laid off the sales reps, and now are distributed by All Interactive in QLD. In some ways they are laughing because they have a game that is played in nearly every state at a high level.

Konami should stick to poker machines.

Other than EA, I think if any other company was involved, we would have a game similar to what we saw from Microforte. Please don't post any pix, I may have a nightmare!

Dog-E

Juniors
Razor said:
B_Tiger said:

EA have cut all their Aussie games - AFL, Cricket aren't being produced anymore either. Just Rugby now.

But the good ol' EA people on the Gold Coast are totally incompetant anyway.

Good. Those cricket games were utter, UTTER garbage!!! I bought 2 versions before I learned better (Made the all too common mistake of thinking - well this new version MUST be better than the last!...couldnt be any WORSE!?) Then I got wise & actually played the 2002 version at the store b4 excitedly just buying it - and that was no better gameplay-wise!...Only really worth it in 2 player mode - and even then it was so ridiculously full of bugs!!...What a waste of money!! :evil:

HBG

Juniors
parra-matters said:
what game did Microforte make?

Microforte were the company originally designing the game. They had 1 previous game, which was released by Interplay, plus maybe others....

Either way, they were not up to the task, and if it wasn't for HES, we would be playing a fairly ordinary game, which by now would be given away on the side of a Kellogs packet.

HBG said:
parra-matters said:
what game did Microforte make?

Microforte were the company originally designing the game. They had 1 previous game, which was released by Interplay, plus maybe others....

Either way, they were not up to the task, and if it wasn't for HES, we would be playing a fairly ordinary game, which by now would be given away on the side of a Kellogs packet.
that must have been those 1st screen shots that were all blocky like a atari game

Goleel

Juniors
Yeah, that was Microforte's effort, from what I can gather but, it wasn't even a game at that stage, just some development pictures, in other words, they had nothing. The best thing that could have happened was Sidhe signing on to the project, otherwise we would have had a really dodgy game that would have been a disgrace to rugby league.

AFL in no way has a bigger gaming market than league, you see the national sales charts and AFL didn't really make a big dent in them, whereas Rugby 2004, Cricket 2002 and I'm sure Rugby League got to the top or come very close. Besides, the AFL games are pretty much regarded as garbage or very close to.

Cricket 2002 was crap. There is no denying that. It was a shithouse game, and it was a disgrace. Sure, it could be fun to play, but it didn't deserve to be played, it had that many faults. I read an interview on Gameplanet recently with the PR guy for HB Studios, he made Cricket 2004 sound like it'll be a good game, but then I remember him giving Rugby 2004 wraps and learnt to reserve judgement. Chances are Cricket 2004 wont be any good either.

He was also disappointed at the criticism levelled at Rugby 2004. Well maybe if they didn't develop a piece of crap game that had little variety in play, a large number of bugs and got boring after only a few hours, then there wouldn't be so much criticism directed towards it.

EA definitely made a mistake not renewing their league license though, the market was always going to be there, ARL 96 was still selling on the shelves in 2001, but they were too stubborn to realise it. Just because a game isn't international doesn't mean it wont sell, and I'm sure Sidhe's effort will prove that.

Razor

Coach
Goleel said:
Just because a game isn't international doesn't mean it wont sell, and I'm sure Sidhe's effort will prove that.

They call the Rugby Union - Rugby ????; so if they release a RL game they could also call it Rugby ????. Was there a Rugby 2003? If not it seems they won't be releasing one every year, so in the inbetween years release a League game calling it just Rugby.

Monkey

Juniors
makes perfect sense to anyone who can read beerboy.

if EA call there rugby union game 'rugby'. can sidhe do the same? if EA do not make a game every year, can sidhe at least call there games 'rugby 200X' inbetween.

devonuto

Juniors
Razor said:
They call the Rugby Union - Rugby ????; so if they release a RL game they could also call it Rugby ????. Was there a Rugby 2003? If not it seems they won't be releasing one every year, so in the inbetween years release a League game calling it just Rugby.

Why the f**k would you wanna call a league game Rugby... are you are dead set knob?????

Monkey

Juniors
devonuto said:
Why the f**k would you wanna call a league game Rugby... are you are dead set knob?????

he aint sayin he wants to, just seein if its possible, and seeing as its called rugby league. calling it rugby aint impossible.

and you've just made your self look like a 'deadset knob'....bloody keyboard hero's

StHelens

Juniors
I wouldn't want EA or Konami making a Rugby League game! The speed of gameplay in FIFA, Rugby and ISS is so slow compared to the speed of SIDHE's Rugby League game! If EA were to make a rugby league game, they'd probably just use Rugby 2004 as a template and change it a little... oh the joy (!) :roll:

Razor

Coach
devonuto said:

A Rugby Union game is called Rugby.

And remember not all countries who play Rugby League call the game Rugby League, some call it Rugby13 (or the equivlent to 13 in their language)