What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are Melbourne finished?

moffla

Bench
Will take another loss on Friday if it means having players primed for finals. Minor premiership would be nice, but if the tradeoff means a cooked side for week one of the finals than I'd rather miss out again.

I am a little bit concerned if I'm honest, everything looks a tad disjointed - but we are the best side in the comp if we put everything together which we are more than capable of.

Vic Mackey

Referee
They need to sort out the Pap/Hynes/Harry/Cheese rotation. They cant have all 4 of them in the same team, 3 at max. Papz is completely stifling the attack since coming back. He has no confidence, isnt digging into the line and getting in everyones way. Harry is a gun however played for himself a lot on Saturday, sometimes he just needs to pass, this is why the combo of Smith starting, Harry playing the last 55mins was working so well.

The right wing is also proving problamtaic, Jennings, Iremia and Lumelume are all horrible. It would blunt the attack however I would look to move Eisenhuth to right centre and Remis to the wing. Their best team IMO:

1. Hynes
2. Smith
3. Eisenhuth
4. Olam
5. JAC
6. Munster
7. Hughes
8. Bromwich
9. Smith
10. Welch
11. Bromwich
12. Kaufusi
13. Finnucane
14. Grant
15. NAS
16. Kamikamica
17. Lewis/Moeroa
18. Papz

I am a little bit concerned if I'm honest, everything looks a tad disjointed - but we are the best side in the comp if we put everything together which we are more than capable of.
While I agree, a lot of it seemed to occur as they got nearer to Easts’ record. You can’t underestimate what a distraction and maybe even a bit of pressure that caused. It would’ve played on their minds.

seanoff

Juniors
The AFL have gone to a break either before the prelims or the gf because I think from here on out it’s all in Perth and wa requires them to quarantine.

also with a week off before the gf it gives the concussed in the Pf time to recover. They have a min 10 day concussion recovery.

Someguy

First Grade
As the reffing has got looser over the last few weeks and the game slowed down Storm has gone back to their early season clunkyness. They are the team that was advantaged most by fast play the balls as they lack any true halves and were just killing it with big bodies rolling up the middle and some of the fastest backs in the game.

I think this weekend will be Papenhuzens last chance to play himself into form. If Storm fall to 2nd and play the bunnies he will be targeted.

Other issue is the weak right side defence, Souths winger odds on for a triple. Lots of issues to sort out coming into the finals, the loss of momentum reminds me of the Roosters last season.

Fangs

Coach
Paper man on the wing or bench. Hynes has to start. One of the form players in the competition.

Grapple

Bench
They need to sort out the Pap/Hynes/Harry/Cheese rotation. They cant have all 4 of them in the same team, 3 at max. Papz is completely stifling the attack since coming back. He has no confidence, isnt digging into the line and getting in everyones way. Harry is a gun however played for himself a lot on Saturday, sometimes he just needs to pass, this is why the combo of Smith starting, Harry playing the last 55mins was working so well.

The right wing is also proving problamtaic, Jennings, Iremia and Lumelume are all horrible. It would blunt the attack however I would look to move Eisenhuth to right centre and Remis to the wing. Their best team IMO:

1. Hynes
2. Smith
3. Eisenhuth
4. Olam
5. JAC
6. Munster
7. Hughes
8. Bromwich
9. Smith
10. Welch
11. Bromwich
12. Kaufusi
13. Finnucane
14. Grant
15. NAS
16. Kamikamica
17. Lewis/Moeroa
18. Papz

Great list, Vic.

I agree you've gotta bring the pap off the bench. he's perfect around the ruck for tiring forwards, though I would swap Smith with Harry. Harry brings the consistency you need to build the game.

Brandon is a mongrel, the type of dynamic you need along with Pap on the bench. It really comes down to having that unpredictable factor. Melbourne have it across the park, if used wisely.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Parra are good enough to beat any of the top 4. The question is can Parra put in a performance like that in 3 or 4 consecutive games in the finals? They're capable of beating Penrith next week, then lose against Cronulla or Canberra in Week 1 of finals.

They'd be a tough team to support right now
Now?? Try the last 35 f**king bald years FFS!!

Billythekid

First Grade

1. Hynes
2. Smith
3. Eisenhuth
4. Olam
5. JAC
6. Munster
7. Hughes
8. Bromwich
9. Smith
10. Welch
11. Bromwich
12. Kaufusi
13. Finnucane
14. Grant
15. NAS
16. Kamikamica
17. Lewis/Moeroa
18. Papz

Yeah it’s a crazy situation. Papz was the Clive Churchill medal winner last year and now we’re in a situation where I think we’re actually better off not picking him on the team potentially. It’s also compounded by the fact that Hynes is leaving next year.

It’s a tough call but Hynes has earned the right to start and we look FAR better with him doing so.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Paps not shying from the contact, just seems to have his timing off a bit. That will come with game time. Hynes has been very good, but Paps will win a game with his brilliance. Big gamble to leave him out. Id have him in this week and give Hynes week off and see how he goes. If need be Hynes then comes in fresh. I think the bigger issue is Smith and Grant. Go back to what has worked best, Smith starting Grant coming off bench. When's Finucane due back? I think Smith's ineffectiveness at 13 is probably driving down his value to Storm for next year. Bellyache would have given them a hard time this week, expect much better.

big hit!

Bench
Paps not shying from the contact, just seems to have his timing off a bit. That will come with game time. Hynes has been very good, but Paps will win a game with his brilliance. Big gamble to leave him out. Id have him in this week and give Hynes week off and see how he goes. If need be Hynes then comes in fresh. I think the bigger issue is Smith and Grant. Go back to what has worked best, Smith starting Grant coming off bench. When's Finucane due back? I think Smith's ineffectiveness at 13 is probably driving down his value to Storm for next year. Bellyache would have given them a hard time this week, expect much better.

Bellamy wants to have all them in - Pap, Hynes, Grant, Smith. That only works if Grant starts and Smith is used off the bench as part of the middle rotation and cover for Grant. Finucane when fit is the starting 13 - all day, all night. And with Pap/Hynes taking one bench spot, and Smith the other, it only leaves 2 spots for Solomona, Kamikamica, Eisenhuth if all are fit. Eisenhuth is there for Kenny Bromwich and Kaufusi. One of Nelson and Tui misses, but frankly they'd both be a better option than Smith in the rotation for mine. If Nelson remains injured, then it's moot.

As explained before, Grant can overplay his hand at 9, especially early in games. He can become more ineffective as the game goes on because he's fatigued himself too soon. But Bellamy can't have both Pap/Hynes and Grant on the bench in finals. Penrith would annihilate them in the middle. They need one more bigger forward in the forward rotation

Perth Red

Post Whore
Bellamy wants to have all them in - Pap, Hynes, Grant, Smith. That only works if Grant starts and Smith is used off the bench as part of the middle rotation and cover for Grant. Finucane when fit is the starting 13 - all day, all night. And with Pap/Hynes taking one bench spot, and Smith the other, it only leaves 2 spots for Solomona, Kamikamica, Eisenhuth if all are fit. Eisenhuth is there for Kenny Bromwich and Kaufusi. One of Nelson and Tui misses, but frankly they'd both be a better option than Smith in the rotation for mine. If Nelson remains injured, then it's moot.

As explained before, Grant can overplay his hand at 9, especially early in games. He can become more ineffective as the game goes on because he's fatigued himself too soon. But Bellamy can't have both Pap/Hynes and Grant on the bench in finals. Penrith would annihilate them in the middle. They need one more bigger forward in the forward rotation
Having Hynes on bench is a wasted interchange for me. We need three big bodies on the bench, though Smith can play in the forwards as well I suppose.

big hit!

Bench
Having Hynes on bench is a wasted interchange for me. We need three big bodies on the bench, though Smith can play in the forwards as well I suppose.

It seems that way.

If Grant starts, and Hynes and Eisenhuth are on the bench, then Smith as part of the middle rotation on the interchange leaves Melbourne small with only Kamikamica or Nelson the only big body in the rotation.

If Smith and Hynes start, then Bellamy has the same problem with Paps and Grant on the bench.

Is it a coincidence that Melbourne have been less dominant in recent weeks fitting all these guys in, but having 1 less big body in the rotation? Recall that they weren't as dominant early in the season with this set-up either. When Paps was out and Hynes filling in at FB, it allowed Bellamy to have that extra big body in the rotation and it changed the effectiveness of the team.

It's great having depth in skill positions who are all impact players in their own right, but striking a balance is going to be key in the finals.

Latest posts