What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are there too many Sydney teams or not enough fanatical supporters?

Slackboy72

Coach
Dogs Of War said:
EDIT: Note, I am not a Bulldogs member anymore. I work shift work, and because of the NRL's "flexible" scheduling, it makes it impossible to work out if it's worth purchasing as I can't work out how many games I am able to attend.

AFL publish dates and times of every regular season fixture the year before. NRL does it when ch 9 makes up their minds about who they want to cover.

As to value here's what my teams do:

Dragons:
12 Game ticket
Cat 1 $430 or $36 per game
Cat 2 $270 or $23 per game
Cat 3 $175 or $15 per game
Gen Adm $145 or $12 per game !!!! come on!

Also available are 6 game packages
Cat 1 $240 or $40 per game
Cat 2 $160 or $27 per game
Cat 3 $110 or $18 per game
Gen Adm $80 or $13 per game. That's still cheaper than a movie.

You also get a bunch of crappy merchandise discounts, caps, lanyards, etc.

Melbourne Demons:

Redleg (premium seating)
11 game ticket: $360 or $33 per game
16 game ticket: $460 or $29 per game

Red and Blue (GA)
11 game ticket: $165 or $15 per game
16 game ticket: $270 or $17 per game???

Again comes with more merchandise stuff like ties etc.

Although GA seating at the MCG is far better than ANZ or WIN I think it's rubbish to claim NRL is worse value. Yet the Demons have a membership base of 28,000.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Slackboy72 said:
Although GA seating at the MCG is far better than ANZ or WIN I think it's rubbish to claim NRL is worse value. Yet the Demons have a membership base of 28,000.

The AFL have been pushing memberships hard for well over a decade and the Melbourne AFL teams use two nice big centralised stadiums that are well served by public transport.

Sydney NRL teams have been pushing memberships hard for less than a year and most still play out of suburban grounds. Of the two big stadiums one has great views but sh*t PT/weather cover while the other has great PT but sh*t views.

They are not comparable.

Slackboy72

Coach
Lockyer4President! said:
The AFL have been pushing memberships hard for well over a decade and the Melbourne AFL teams use two nice big centralised stadiums that are well served by public transport.

Sydney NRL teams have been pushing memberships hard for less than a year and most still play out of suburban grounds. Of the two big stadiums one has great views but sh*t PT/weather cover while the other has great PT but sh*t views.

They are not comparable.

I can recall the Dragons having membership drives years ago. The push for more members is not something new in NRL. Agree with the suburban grounds issue. Unfortunately some (if not most) NRL fans prefer to pay to sit on a hill in a surburban ground than on a clean seat at the SFS.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Slackboy72 said:
Agree with the suburban grounds issue. Unfortunately some (if not most) NRL fans prefer to pay to sit on a hill in a surburban ground than on a clean seat at the SFS.
I like to think that it's only a vocal minority who prefer the hills.

IMO sub-standard stadiums are the biggest problem facing the Sydney teams. A good stadium means more corporate support, a better image and less excuses for people not to come along. I don't think that forcing all of the teams into the SFS + Homebush or building half a dozen Skilled Parks in Sydney is the answer but something needs to be done.

adamkungl

Immortal
all teams should have a non-ticketed membership option for ~$50. or come with 2 tickets or something.

meltiger

First Grade
Slackboy72 said:
I can recall the Dragons having membership drives years ago. The push for more members is not something new in NRL. Agree with the suburban grounds issue. Unfortunately some (if not most) NRL fans prefer to pay to sit on a hill in a surburban ground than on a clean seat at the SFS.

Agree. For an example of what playing out of a first class stadium, rather than a boutique suburban ground can do for membership, look at Essendon after they moved from Windy hill to the MCG in 1992.

Slackboy72 said:
AFL publish dates and times of every regular season fixture the year before. NRL does it when ch 9 makes up their minds about who they want to cover.

As to value here's what my teams do:

Dragons:
12 Game ticket
Cat 1 $430 or $36 per game
Cat 2 $270 or $23 per game
Cat 3 $175 or $15 per game
Gen Adm $145 or $12 per game !!!! come on!

Also available are 6 game packages
Cat 1 $240 or $40 per game
Cat 2 $160 or $27 per game
Cat 3 $110 or $18 per game
Gen Adm $80 or $13 per game. That's still cheaper than a movie.

You also get a bunch of crappy merchandise discounts, caps, lanyards, etc.

Melbourne Demons:

Redleg (premium seating)
11 game ticket: $360 or $33 per game
16 game ticket: $460 or $29 per game

Red and Blue (GA)
11 game ticket: $165 or $15 per game
16 game ticket: $270 or $17 per game???

Again comes with more merchandise stuff like ties etc.

In fairness, I did say I hadn't looked outside WT's prices. Your examples above prove me wrong completely, I agree. I certainly agree with your first statement regarding how long the AFL have pushed them and stated the same myself.

There is another issue which people are overlooking. The respective Grand Finals.

NRL - You can attend the Grand Final without being a club member, however members get priority access to buy.
AFL - There is more chance of El Diablo marching in the mardi gras wearing Swans gear than there is of you purchsing a ticket if not a member of a competing club. Even then, you still aren't guarenteed a ticket. They make available roughly 25,000 tickets to the competing clubs, should West Coast & Collingwood play each other for instance with a combined membership of 80,000 - This means 55,000 fully paid up members won't attend.

Many people sign up to ensure they have access to "finals tickets" - Essentially the Grand Final. Many (I'm included) pay extra money each year for what is known as 'premium' memberships, that give you gaurenteed access to the Grand Final should their team make it.

Which system is better? The way the AFL have taken the GF away from the fans has resulted in some massive revenue increases for clubs, whilst the NRL Grand Final means there is no need to sign up for memberships to access the game - The real people still have a fair dinkum chance to attend.

Slackboy72

Coach
I'm not sure if that would be such a big carrot for most supporters.

Another thing about AFL in Melbourne is that games are like a social event. People go to games have a few beers at a real bar in the ground (glasses not plastic cups) and then go for drinks and dinner afterwards. As such you get a lot of women (good looking and well dressed) turning up to AFL matches. Unfotunately you just don't see it happening to the same degree in NRL matches. Well not at suburban venues at least.

meltiger

First Grade
Slackboy72 said:
I'm not sure if that would be such a big carrot for most supporters.

The prospect of missing out on watching your team in the GF due to not having a membership? You'd be suprised mate.

As I said though, which system is better? Whilst they make sh*tloads off memberships ... The AFL GF has been taken away largely from the everyday supporter, whereas you only have to look on here every year when the tickets are released - Everyday fans still get to attend, not just a stadium 75% full of corporates like the Melbourne GF is.

Slackboy72 said:
Another thing about AFL in Melbourne is that games are like a social event. People go to games have a few beers at a real bar in the ground (glasses not plastic cups)

Only at Telstra Dome, and for that matter I'm only aware of 4 bars within the ground in the public access areas that sell or have sold glasses (One bar went back to plastic cups after a fight between Melbourne & Richmond supporters)

Out in the outer ... You still drink watered down sh*t in plastic cups.

At least at most of the Sydney suburban grounds, and certainly in Melbourne (@ OP), even if it is provided in a plastic cup, it's poured from a can or bottle.

Latest posts