What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are we missing the nippy halves and the backline try?

Misty Bee

First Grade
I am wondering if our great code is suffereing because of the prevalence of tries from kicks, generating a long and tedious legal forum courtesy of the video referee.

To me, we are in a mode that sees big, rampaging forwards dominating play, egged on by a half/pivot with a decent kicking game. I find it odd that, in an era of the greatest metres gained per set of 6, we hardly see any long range tries set up by nippy halves or pivots feeding quick three quarters in space. The Inglis try of Locky's brilliant pass in the last TN game v NZ evoked memories of old, like seing Grothe feed off Kenny, Chicka Ferguson and Mal off Stuart, Eadie and rogers off Fulton.

As much as I like great forward work (cue mental footage of Hindy/BK/Webcke), I reckon we are reduced to marketing the game off the big hit. Spectacular as they are courtesy of blokes like Kidwell, Morley etc, I feel that it reinforces the toughness of our code. Yet seeing the magic of Johns or Langer working in close, or the spectacle of Minichiello, ET or Big Mal eating up the metres out wide is the real thing that draws crowds.

As much as the 60's produced brilliant forwards like Raper, Beetson, O'Neill, Provan etc, I bet it was Irvine and Gasnier that brought the crowds to their feet.

Thre are 2 things that irritate me when watching league. Firstly, a ruck, from the 'held' call to the play-the-ball, taking more than 2 seconds. Currently, they regularly clock in at 4. Secondly, the amount of time the video ref is needed to see if a forwad with 6 blokes on his back had grounded the ball, or if so-and-so is onside from the kick. With a run in try from long range (aka Hodgeson's classic scrumbase try in Origin), this diversion into tedium is not required.

The video ref, for all it's necessity, takes the adrenalin out of a try.

To me, the most exciting team to watch in the last decade was the Warriors in their semi final days. Their ball skills were breathtaking, and their running was eye catching. They oozed skill, because they were allowed the speed to nullify the presence of the brawn up the middle.

Recently, after a semi final, C9 replayed the classic 1997 GF. I was amazed how much faster, and more frantic the game was back then. The tough forward play was not compromised - Carroll and Harrigan put on each other the most brutal hits you'd see anywhere that day.

Yet I have heard that somepeople lambaste that game because of the mistake rate. I have a good mate who played AFL as a kid and trialled for the Western Bulldogs from memory (Footscray at the time). Now living in NSW and with his son a capable front rower for his junior team, he gets annoyed by the lack of errors. Knock ons mean change of posession, unpredictability, and a chance at thrilling broken play movements. Those raised on AFL and Union relate to that, so in that format our game is more marketable to them.

We all see Union as inferior. We do so because it is dominated by fat forwards clogging up the ball in huddles, and as soon as it gets into the open the fly half kicks. League, in it's own way, is going down this same path. Hit up for 5, then kick. The biggest metres gained stats are won by fullbacks fielding kicks. It should be wingers burning up the sideline.

I would love to go back to the pre - interchange days, when the middle wasn't simply a rotation of 10 minute maniacs running at the halfback, and the winger wasn't the most crucial defender in the team under a high ball.

We have had 3 major rule changes because of this: 1) the 10 metre exclusion zone around a fullback fielding the kick, 2) The banning of the mid air tackle, and 3) the 20m tap for fielding a kick on the full in goal. Allof these are necessary under the current circumstances, but all go against the spirit of the game, which is the battle for ball control.

One could argue that the stripping rule, and the banning of the rakeback in a ruck (Benny Elias was brilliant to watch in that role), was caused by this as well.

Also, Scrums, a relic as useful as a human appendix, exist on the flimsy excuse that it takes the forwards out of play, allowing the backs more space to weave their magig. So now we see little Lockyer in scroms with Mason or Cioniceva at pivot! The result, it's still a hit up from a forward running at a halfback!!!

I believe the problem could be solved by 4 significant rule changes.

1) Limiting the interchange. It's there only as a precaution against head injuries (see Ron Gibbs in the '87 decider). I'd go radical. A 2 man bench with a max of 6 interchanges.

2) Bring back 5m sin bins for professional fouls and high tackles - to prevent players being taken out and thus winning greater advantage.

3) A mandatory penalty if the play the ball isn't completed after 3 seconds (to either side, wheather it is caused by defenders being too slow or the attacker trying to milk a penalty). If the ref can't decide fault, pack a scrum.

4) After a scrum, call the first tackle 'zero' if the attacking team has gained more than 20 meters from the scrum win.

Tired forwards create holes. These holes are exploited by clever halves/pivots who can then ignite the backs. Think of the glut of brilliant backs we have (blokes like Patton, Grothe, Mini, Hodgeson, Cooper, Tahu, Benji, Bowen, Steve Bell, Greenshields, Amos and Preston etc) left over from the 2 test baclined that teh NRL has provided.

Unleash 'em and you'll pack every ground to the rafters.

Wicks

Juniors
Misty Bee said:
Firstly, a ruck, from the 'held' call to the play-the-ball, taking more than 2 seconds. Currently, they regularly clock in at 4.

If the play the ball is quicker you will get more running from dummy half and more flat attack No thanks

Misty Bee said:
Hit up for 5, then kick. The biggest metres gained stats are won by fullbacks fielding kicks. It should be wingers burning up the sideline.

Statistics shouldnt change rugby league That Pattern of play is a generalisation We see all sorts of players breaking the line and running down the field

Misty Bee said:
I would love to go back to the pre - interchange days, when the middle wasn't simply a rotation of 10 minute maniacs running at the halfback, and the winger wasn't the most crucial defender in the team under a high ball.

Reducing the interchange and a quicker play the ball would be a disaster Forwards are exploited by quicker players throughout games

Attacking high balls are better than bomb and hope chances at the fullback Can still be used as a tactic Though dont mention it to anyone involved with Melbourne

Bib

Juniors
In 05 we had the dominance of the tigers and cowboys based on the little men getting out of dummy half and the wingers scoring plenty of tries. in 06 we saw the return of the big forwards dominating, it changes year by year, any team that can play both styles of football (dragons, storm) are likely to be successful

innsaneink

Referee
Good post misty, very good.

I too find myself counting the seconds from "held" to the time its in the DHs hands....on occasion there have been 8,9 and 10 second intervals, rare but f**kin boring.

The video ref, for all it's necessity, takes the adrenalin out of a try.

First time Ive seen someone else say it, and now I realise Ive felt this way for a long time.
I remember as a kid, Russell Mullins, Graeme O'Grady , Joe Cool or even Sloth gibbs (rarely)...once they got over the line it was party time, on the odd occasion it was ruled no try and the ref copped it, but that was rare.
Now we have aour players crossing the line, my instant thought is "please ref, just give it...no square VR signal, then when he does go to the VR its a nervy wait, and if it is a positive result, instead of "party time" like it was when I was a kid, its now more a sigh of relief.

I agree on the i'change too, but I like Stuarts idea of a 4/10 rule.
That still covers losing a player for an entire match with injury, where with only 2 on the bench theyd be stuffed in that case.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
The rules in these areas are doing fine and changing them would cause the hookers to be ball runners even more so. I think that the play the ball can be quickened up by clamping down on flops and the westling on the ground.

What I do want to see is penalties against the attacker for taking a dive and trying to get a penalty.

Also, if you run behind your own player and they make contact with the defender it should be a penalty. No contact no penalty.

dubby

Bench
A good read MB.

Briefly: I agree that there are too many interchanges. I concur with your plan: 2 for 6.
Kicking all the time while efficient and builds pressure if done right, takes out the backline move. I would like to see more backline moves but IMHO most teams today have poor quality outside backs. eg Canberra have Purtell and Chalk who are very limited in skill but have "guts" under the ball. See my point?

Azkatro

First Grade
The thing you have to be careful of with encouraging super fast play-the-balls is turning the game in to touch football. 2003 saw this at its peak with the likes of Penrith and Canberra mastering the art of quick tackle submissions and quicker play-the-balls. The 2003 GF I think still had more play-the-balls than any other game almost, which was very formulaic in a sense ... quick dummy halves ruled the roost and it was all very much one-up stuff. So we have to be careful about making the ruck too quick in that sense.

I totally agree about interchanges though, full time professional athletes playing 40 odd minute games makes for almost unrealistic rushing defense at times, stifling the attack. How many games have we seen teams exert the fitness required to withstand wave after wave of attack on their line? I think reducing interchange will lessen the effect of this and a team which backs itself by running opposition forwards around with skill and pace will be duly rewarded.

The video ref is just one of those things sadly - if we take it out there will just be that same scrutiny as we had before with slow motion replays. The fact is the ref just doesn't get the benefit of the doubt anymore - they are expected to be inhuman in their accuracy.

gaterooze

Bench
Said it before, I'll say it again. The problem with the video ref is purely one of technology. At the moment, they get a single replay supplied by the TV crew. What they need is 3 simultaneous timecoded replays from different angles, show on 3 screens in front of them at the same time. This way they can triangulate decisions and have all the information on hand at once, instead of us waiting for them to cue up different replays.

I estimate this would cut the video ref time by a factor of 4.

It would take a significant investment in technology and equipment, and may annoy the TV stations, but it would improve the viewer's experience greatly.

jimmythehand

Juniors
someone put this idea to me:

* 5 metres instead of 10
* defensive line can't advance until dummy half has picked up the ball (instead of when the ball is played).

Thoughts?

adamkungl

Immortal
jimmythehand said:
someone put this idea to me:

* 5 metres instead of 10
* defensive line can't advance until dummy half has picked up the ball (instead of when the ball is played).

Thoughts?

5 metres I think would effectively kill any exciting ball movement. The 2nd one seems to be counteroperative to the first. One quickens the defence while the other impairs it, wtf?

I think maybe reduce the interchange, not the the extent suggested by Misty Bee but maybe to 10 or 8. More backline movement would be nice, but as someone said, it changes year to year. Tigers and Cowboys of 2005 were a complete contrast to both Roosters and Bulldogs 04, and Storm Broncos 06.

St.John

Juniors
Misty Bee said:
The Inglis try of Locky's brilliant pass in the last TN game v NZ evoked memories of old, like seing Grothe feed off Kenny, Chicka Ferguson and Mal off Stuart, Eadie and rogers off Fulton.

The reason players like the above are spoken of in such awe is because they could unlock defences in the manner described.

It's never been a "common skill", and that's why those players are Greats. If everyone could do it, or if it was as run of the mill as you suggest, the players listed would be nothing special, really.

Defences are very organised nowadays, and full time professionalism has helped fitness - this has a knock on effect in terms of maintaining the correct defensive patter for longer in the games, making it even harder to engineer space.

This in no way diminishes the abilities of the Great players listed. I have no doubt if they were playing in the modern game, they would still be awesome. Because they have that rare and special gift - they can unlock a defence. They see the play, and they can disguise their intents and react at the drop of a hat to take advantage of any mistakes.

But that's not a common skill. If it were, Lockyer, Johns et al would not be placed on such a pedestal.

( there are, of course, other aspects to their "greatness"; they need certain physical and mental characteristics to capitalise on their vision, for example )

Kurt Angle

First Grade
St.John said:
This in no way diminishes the abilities of the Great players listed. I have no doubt if they were playing in the modern game, they would still be awesome. Because they have that rare and special gift - they can unlock a defence. They see the play, and they can disguise their intents and react at the drop of a hat to take advantage of any mistakes.

But that's not a common skill. If it were, Lockyer, Johns et al would not be placed on such a pedestal.

( there are, of course, other aspects to their "greatness"; they need certain physical and mental characteristics to capitalise on their vision, for example )

I however don't think there would be the same number of "great players" of the past if the same professional standards were prevelant then.

Unlocking defences you are correct, is an uncommon trait.. not overly uncommon but it's more of the time taken to cognitvely recognise an opportunity before you.

Key example is Denis Moran and his play while at the London Broncos. The guy can play, he can unlock defences, but the NRL was too fast for him for his brains to recognise the opportunity. In an environment of slower defensive lines such as the ESL he can take greater effect.

Also in a profesisonal enviroment where the stakes are worth millions of dollars, flaws and msitakes are tolerated less. I don't think Cliff Lyons or Terry Lamb for example would be considered anything other than run of the mill players in a 2006 NRL environment. Chris Close would never leave PL due to fitness concerns, Noel Cleal had pretty poor hands.

The current environment does produce players who are like robots I agree, flawless and mechanical, with the cream rising to the top now in 2006 so much better than before.

renouf

Juniors
What are you on about? Brisbane is a classic example of nifty halves (or half in our case) and classic backline play.. they barely score any tries from kicks. The Broncos are one of the few teams left who actually play a game from the old days..slick backline movements with classy centres.

Striker

Juniors
Professionalism changed the game, teams get a lot more time to observe their opposition and counteract their attacking trends. This why I believe a lot of the rules that have been introduced into the game have benifited the attacking team. Long range tries come around every now and again and are spectacular when they occur, but you never know things evolve in phases, there may be a time when we see them regularly again!

In regards to video ref i believe they should only be able to look at the "act of scoring a try" the onlfield officials should judge everything else just let the video ref check the foot/arm/whatever touching the sideline/cornerpost or grounding/lost ball etc...

St.John

Juniors
Kurt Angle said:
I however don't think there would be the same number of "great players" of the past if the same professional standards were prevelant then.

You can only guage them by their performances of the time, I feel. they played well against the best of their peers, I see no reason why they would not still be superior if they had grown up in a more rigorous sporting environment.

Yes, if the same standards were present the job would have been that much harder. But the players would also have had their entire playing careers spent in that arena, and therefore would have had more experience day-in, day-out with better organised and fitter defences.

Unlocking defences you are correct, is an uncommon trait.. not overly uncommon but it's more of the time taken to cognitvely recognise an opportunity before you.

I think there's obviously that, but also the ability to actually execute the correct pass, with the correct timing. And also the ability to mix your play to keep the opposition guessing, and not just use your well-recognised strengths - that could enable your opponents to read you in such situations.

The current environment does produce players who are like robots I agree, flawless and mechanical, with the cream rising to the top now in 2006 so much better than before.

I would not really call them robots, I just think the defences are organised and fit. Hence, when there's no opportunity present on attack you take the "safe" option, because you know any errors will be punished.

The ability to take on a modern defence at pace and create confusion and chances is breathtaking to watch. Lockyer, for example, has produced some absolute masterclasses not only in vision, but alos in incisive, economical passing and and finishing. He really is a hell of a player, IMO.