What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are we playing finals in 2021?

Jono078

Referee
The general vibe around here seems to be a bit negative at the moment (myself included), and I think all of us not only thought we'd be in a better position than we are 7 rounds into the season, but also show general improvement in the way we play the game.

Whilst disappointing so far, overall I just have a great feeling we'll finish this season strong. Once we have Ponga, Green, Pearce and Brailey on the field at the same time I think we can give many teams headaches and we should be peaking at just the right time.

So the next 4-6 weeks still may be rough, but don't give up on the season yet is what I think.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
As a fan base we do probably lean more towards negativity due to what it’s been like following this club in recent years but I think there’s been enough positive signs in our games so far to show that we can play finals this year. Really we’ve had one bad attitude game which was the Titans game but I feel that we’ve turned up with the right attitude for the other 6 games, yeah we lost that tigers game on errors and execution and injuries + some dodgy calls robbed us against the dragons but overall the team has been putting in so I’m hopeful that we’ll see the rewards later in the year when we’ve got some players back.

Probably not. I'd like to think we can turn things around but I can't really see it happening.. This club has drained all confidence out of me over the years lol

Apey

Staff member
Right now I think there's at least 8 teams better than us on form, so no. Things can change though.

Jono078

Referee
Manly are now a good example of how you can turn things around.

After 4 rounds they conceded the most points of any NRL team in the last 20 or so years. Now in the last 3 weeks they've won all games and conceded only 18 points.

Zoidberg

First Grade
Watching this weekend it looks like Raiders and Roosters are not playing that good. Not to the standards you would expect of them.
If we can show up with the right attitude, we could have a big chance in both.

I was more confident last year than I am this year.
We look good on paper but are far from being a team that has got its act together as a team.
We've had injuries but we also should have guys that have trained in multiple positions.

I reckon we'll scrape into the 8 then bow out of the finals early on.
It's always 'next year' with us.

ryana87

Juniors
Not that I would wish an injury in someone..... But looks like teddy might miss next week with a HIA

so that means rooster are missing their first choice 1,6,7 and 9

Rodney Rude

Juniors
Play finals? LOL! They wont win many more (if any) games this year

Im calling it now.... Newcastle will NEVER EVER become a top 4 side. EVER!!!!!!!

Jono078

Referee
Not that I would wish an injury in someone..... But looks like teddy might miss next week with a HIA

so that means rooster are missing their first choice 1,6,7 and 9
If that’s the case and we can’t beat them it will be really disappointing.

It’s the ultimate test for us, we’ve been given the best chance possible, let’s see if we take advantage of it.

Yosh

Coach
Surely something drastic needs to happen in thr next month? Either a major reshuffle of the team or AOB gets his notice?

I think Klemmer needs to play another role. He is utter useless out there in the modern game.

Ponga needs to play in the halves and get the ball at least 3-4 times every set. Stop wasting his energy getting whacked at the back and bring the ball out from our half.

I like Mann. Tries hard but he is a HUGE nuffie playing in the halves. Move him to centre or wing or out of the team. Watson can stay because he offers something different through the middle and is a good rotation with Sue.

Tuala has just played himself out of a contract this year. We need Hunt and Lee back asap.

I'm all for something like this even:

1. To'a
2. Musgrove
3. Hunt
4. Best
5. Lee
6. Pongs
7. Crossland
8. Barnett
9. Brailey
10. Dan Saifiti
11. Frizell
12. Jones
13. Sue

14. Watson
15. Klemmer
16. Jacob Saifiti
17. Dom Young

aqua_duck

Coach
I think Klemmer and Saifiti have been extremely underwhelming this year, after his performances in origin I was expecting D Saf to go to another level and perhaps establish himself as the best prop in the game but he's regressed IMO, Klemmer whilst still churning out decent metres has lost that late offload that made him even more dangerous and I feel isn't running off the back fence like he used to. Tuala has been extremely disappointing and in my opinion I would rather move To'a to right centre when Lee or Hunt return. The most obvious issue is the halves, I would trade Pearce, Mann, Green and Crossland in for just one semi decent half who can execute either a torpedo bomb or a grubber into the in goals.

perverse

Referee
I think Klemmer and Saifiti have been extremely underwhelming this year, after his performances in origin I was expecting D Saf to go to another level and perhaps establish himself as the best prop in the game but he's regressed IMO, Klemmer whilst still churning out decent metres has lost that late offload that made him even more dangerous and I feel isn't running off the back fence like he used to.
Agree on both, but I don't think our outside backs are doing them many favours in starting the sets in our own end either. Musgrove flat out sucks in this department, as does Tuala, as does T'oa. Best has a crack most days. Hunt has been the only one that's had a genuine impact in doing the tough stuff this year though for mine. We miss Eddy in this department big time.

What is most concerning about all of this is the pack is what we have, it's not going to change any time soon - and thus far we're losing Eddy and replacing him with no-one at this stage.

As for the rest of your post... yeah I mean some of it yes, some of it no for me. Yes to someone who can earn a repeat set reliably - absolute no brainer, and how we lack it in a squad of 30 players that play Rugby League for a living, I have no idea. Boggles the mind. No to the bomb only for the fact that if we had someone that could (and hell, Pearce has already put up one absolute pearler this year off his own bat), I believe they'd be coached not to do so at the moment. I don't find it co-incidental that every Knights player to lay a boot on the ball in the middle of the field puts the same kick up time after time. Seems very much a coached tactic for mine. Actually, it's probably one of the only things I can say with some confidence that I think they do at training. I've got no f**king idea what else they spend their time on.

Burwood

Bench
I'm all for something like this even:

1. To'a
2. Musgrove
3. Hunt
4. Best
5. Lee
6. Pongs
7. Crossland
8. Barnett
9. Brailey
10. Dan Saifiti
11. Frizell
12. Jones
13. Sue

14. Watson
15. Klemmer
16. Jacob Saifiti
17. Dom Young

I'm hoping that after origin when Pearce is back, we're seeing something like:

1. Ponga
2. Lee
3. Young
4. Best
5. Hunt
6. Mann
7. Pearce
8. Klemmer
9. Brailey
10. Sue
11. Frizell
12. Fitz
13. Barnett
14.Watson
15. Saifiti
16. Saifiti
17. Jones

The forward pack definitely needs tinkering with. It's nearly full strength, but playing nowhere near its potential as it currently stands.

It's hard to polish a turd, but I think we need to focus on the new rules by playing more speed and spark in the middle. Barnett isn't handling it defensively out wide and is better suited to the middle. DSaf needs to play less minutes and look to provide more impact, similar to his brother's role.

Both of the twins and Klemmer should be looking to get to the ground on their knees or belly as soon as possible and ensuring a quick play the ball- stuff making an extra 3-4 metres post contact while walking backwards when all it does is give the defence time to set and gifts them a slow play the ball. Saulo was playing that sort of game last night.

We then need to hope that there's enough talent/brains in Brailey, Ponga and Watson to take advantage of this.

Edit: To add to that, Mann is fine at 5/8- he just needs to straighten the attack and stop crabbing across field. When he gets the ball he should only be looking to engage the line or pass the ball on early to the backrower/centre.
The backline has a lot more size with Hunt, Lee and Young in there to help on the first 2-3 carries of each set.